Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could anyone tell me any information about the following Box Code.

OPU DIC06, Not sure about the OPU and could not find it through the typical resources about Box Codes.

Thanks for the help

·
BUGGER!!!!!!!
3,660 Posts
Could anyone tell me any information about the following Box Code.

OPU DIC06, Not sure about the OPU and could not find it through the typical resources about Box Codes.

Thanks for the help
I think the new factory codes are a bit of a mystery
I don't think anyone knows for sure which code goes with what factory right now

·
Block Watcher
3,995 Posts
I think the new factory codes are a bit of a mystery
I don't think anyone knows for sure which code goes with what factory right now
:tpd:

Steve is right - no one seems to have cracked the current factory codes yet. To further complicate matters they are changing the codes frequently so OPU in '06 might mean something completely different in '07.

·
Registered
353 Posts
factory codes are irrelevant. they all use the same tobacco, so the month and year on the box code are all that's important anyway.

bruce
:tpd:

Bruce is right on!

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
factory codes are irrelevant. they all use the same tobacco, so the month and year on the box code are all that's important anyway.

bruce
are you saying that there arent any variations in the blending or taste of the tobacco from factory to factory..? or just that they are legit no matter the factory code?

that's because it's not from the 70s, 80s, or 90s ;)
Dick..LoL

·
Registered
353 Posts
All I know is that there are a few factories that are use to same codes almost all the time, or at least this year. POS is one of them. The tobacco that is used is the same and the blend is the same, just out of different provincial factories. I've stopped looking at box codes....too confusing.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
No, there are definitely differences in sticks produced from different factories, subtle though they may be....
A lot also has to do if the roller washed his hands after he went to the bathroom or not...

·
Registered
256 Posts

bruce
I'm no aficionado or anything, but I'm pretty sure Habanos SA ran into problems during the mid-to-late 1990s when quality from different factories was inconsistent. Because of that, certain importers would demand cigars from certain factories, and would not accept cigars from others. Habanos (it might have been Cubatobacco at the time) denied that the quality of cigars differed from factory to factory, but it sounded like like at the time there were some serious quality.

You are right (as far as I know) broozer that all of the factories use the same tobacco (blends) or at least are as close to one another as possible.

But when I say quality, I really mean quality in terms of how well it has been manufactured. Some factories (Partagas for sure, and the others in Havana) have historically attracted the best trained rollers. Because of that, the quality was better at factories with more of the best-skilled rollers (especially in the cigar-boom of the 1990s) while the factories in outer lying areas, where many of the rollers are first trained, contained 'what was left' of those producers. Add in the fact that different factories had different managers, some with different levels of commitment to quality and it seems likely that you would get varying degrees of quality out of different factories.

Sure you can standardize the blends by doing a lot of the sorting and blending at a central facility and have 'roaming' QC facilitators, but the space between each one of the factories means that even if 1 person was charged with maintaining a certain quality level of all Cohibas produced, they surely can't be in 3, 4 and 5 factories at once.

So, Habanos had all sorts of problems shipping cigars with factory codes that certain retailers or distributors wouldn't carry. I know the English got around this with their EMS selection, which differed slightly from their international cousins, and allowed them to have better control over where their smokes came from.

To rectify the problem, Habanos apparently made quality and consistency a huge part production, restructuring a lot of the factories. In addition, they started randomizing the Factory code so that no one (except the Cubans) knows which factory produced which cigars. They randomize the codes (monthly, I think) to stifle people further.

In all of the Cuban factory tours I've taken, each factory said they have the best rollers and the best management and consistently the best cigars. What I have taken away from that is that quality does vary from factory to factory. That's my opinion.

·
Registered
353 Posts
In addition, they started randomizing the Factory code so that no one (except the Cubans) knows which factory produced which cigars. They randomize the codes (monthly, I think) to stifle people further.

In all of the Cuban factory tours I've taken, each factory said they have the best rollers and the best management and consistently the best cigars. What I have taken away from that is that quality does vary from factory to factory.
This is what I was trying to say. Great post Kurly! :tu

·
Registered
21,743 Posts
POS = Partagas (SVF in 2005, GKI in 2004, etc.). That one is pretty easy to tell, actually, as Ramon Allones cigars are only made there.

The part about a monthly code change is BS that was fed to the dealers (and they keep repeating it to customers) to get people to forget about trying to make out the factory so that provincial boxes dont stay on the shelves. In my experience, box codes have been changed on a yearly basis (or say 14 months or there about).

I dont know what the code of that cab means or I would tell you, sorry. What I do know, though, is that some (a few) dealers know what the codes mean.

·
Registered
256 Posts
POS = Partagas (SVF in 2005, GKI in 2004, etc.). That one is pretty easy to tell, actually, as Ramon Allones cigars are only made there.

The part about a monthly code change is BS that was fed to the dealers (and they keep repeating it to customers) to get people to forget about trying to make out the factory so that provincial boxes dont stay on the shelves. In my experience, box codes have been changed on a yearly basis (or say 14 months or there about).

I dont know what the code of that cab means or I would tell you, sorry. What I do know, though, is that some (a few) dealers know what the codes mean.
You're probably right... I know I'm not the only one that would want that information so I'm a little surprised that no one has produced a (somewhat) definitive decoding matrix for the rest of us to enjoy. I can certainly see why dealers would keep it a secret, as the last thing they want is picky smokers only accepting boxes from certain factories (again).

I would think if you just take this board into account there would be enough information from personal collections on codes to bust this wide open.

From what I've read the general consensus from informational sources is that it is in fact random, or at least coded enough for guys like me to scratch their heads at. I'll be the first to admit I am not well enough informed to say you're wrong, let alone I'm right.

But one might suspect even (somewhat) reputible magazines like CA would post factory codes in addition to dates on their Cuban cigar reviews if they meant anything at all. I'm probably missing the point on why they initiated that with the Cubans and not with smokes from any other country (again, this cat is totally ill-informed!)

Kudos to you if you figured it out though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts