Cigar Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to HIGHLY recommend a couple of blues books I just finished for all the blues fans out there.

First is Moanin' at Midnight: The Howlin Wolf Story, this is the first comprehensive biography of one of the greatest bluesmen to walk the earth. Goes into great details of his life, from childhood up to his death. Most of it is comprised of interviews and stories from those who were closest to him. I'll admit that I was never really that into the Wolf, but this book really made me understand some of his music more. My crappy review just doesn't do this book justice, you gotta go buy this book if your even remotely interested in Howlin Wolf.

The second book I read was Escaping the Delta: Robert Johnson and the Invention of the Blues Lucky this isn't just another Robert Johnson biography, god knows we don't need another one of those. While a good portion of the book deals with Mr. Johnson, a large portion of it deals with the contemporary view of the blues itself. The author does a brilliant job of shedding light onto how the world of Rock has distorted and even fabricated the history of the Blues to fit it's needs. The facts and opinions in this book will either enlighten or enrage you, but either way it is one worthwhile read!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.