Cigar Forums banner

Book recommendation

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  imported_Carpe_Diem 
#1 ·
Hello fellow puffers,

So many stogies, so little time. I am pretty new to this & I need a bit of help. Can anyone suggest a good book about cigars? There are classes on wine & food, but none on cigars. Thanks.

-DB

#2 ·
You should be able to find at least a few books on cigars at your local library. Richard Carleton Hacker is one author. There's also a Dummies (or Idiot's, I can't remember which) guide. And quite a few others. Check Amazon as well. And some cigar shops and groups occasionally have cigar information sessions. I'd suggest checking with your local B&Ms for upcoming events that feature manufacturers. Most are more than happy to talk about cigars. You'll also get lots of good information at sites like this one and from knowledgeable shop owners and patrons. On the other hand, don't get too wrapped up in "book learing." Remember, cigar smoking should be focused on enjoyment.

#3 ·
BOOKS? BOOKS? YOU DON'T NEED NO STINKING BOOKS!

Just swim around Puff, there is a lot of good info right here. Save your money for the cigars, that is were you are going to learn the most. Remember the only opinion that matters is your own. Smoke and create a Dossier note the taste and smells, believe me you will learn so much from your own notes on cigars. If its a technical question just post it here someone will answer it for you.

For instance: I was at a local cigar shop Friday smoking an Oliva V, another customer sitting across from me asked what the "ring" meant. It was interesting to know that two others had no idea either and I had been smoking with them for about three months. I explained that it was the diameter of the cigar in 64th of an inch. If the cigar was a 32 ring then it was half an inch in diameter. Mike a friend of mine said he never knew that.

My point is: Just ask.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.