Cigar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all nerds-
i just got done reading a great book by martin cruz smith called havana bay. i like him and the title pulled me in for obvious reasons. i figured since i love one of their main exports so much now i would love to know about some of the history of the island and how it came to be where it was and where it is now.
so if anyone has any suggestions on a good book i'd greatly appreciate it.
thanx in advance
jimmy

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
Hey Jimmy,

If you ever plan to take a trip to Cuba one of the best travel books on the island is titled Cuba by Christopher P. Baker.
Thorough, well researched, chock full of information. Unfortunately if you're looking for more information on Havanas, I dare say that the information on this site far surpasses what's in the book on cigars . . . but all the rest of the information on the island is exceptionally good.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MO-
thanx for the input. not really looking for travel info, or specifically about stogies. just the history of the island, it's place in our world, the ties with russia/usa in the past....esentially a history of the island. i am sure there are dozens but i was hoping someone here could recommend a good one.
thanx
jimmy

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
Not so much history, politics, or military but more on geography, travelling, food, sight seeing, buildings, entertainment, etc... You get the picture.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I'm not sure if this will fit the bill exactly. I found it in the Travel Essays section of a local bookstore. It's called The Readers Companion to Cuba. It's a collection of travel accounts (diaries, letters and essays) from the mid 19th Century to the 1990s edited by Alan Ryan. It'll offer the historical perspective that you're looking for but maybe not in the format you're looking for. I thought it was a pretty easy going read. 392 pgs at $16.00. Not a bad deal.

I picked up another one at a used book sale back at school called Cuba in Revolution. I haven't read it yet but it's a book of academic essays covering the following major topics: social origins of the rebellion, politics of revolution, institutions and structions, fighting underdevelopment, social development, and culture and revolutionary ideology. If you can wade through political science and history texts and remain awake this could be interesting. It was published in 1972 by doubleday and co and edited by Rolando E. Bonachea and Nelson P. Valdes.

Unfortunately neither are the kind of survey you're looking for.

I'll bet there are probably a few other people who've got some more suggestions. Let's hope they see this thread.

G

·
jimmy said:
... if anyone has any suggestions on a good book i'd greatly appreciate it...
Jimmy,

There is a good book written by Che Guevara called Obra Revolucionaria. The book is written in Spanish, however, I believe a translation came out in English a few years ago. It's an excellend history of Castro's revolution.

The book gives a good insight into Guevara's mind on waging wars of insurgency, particularly his own participation of such in Cuba. The book also advocates some "dirty tricks" actually employed by terrorists today, and therfore serves as a source for proposed countermeaures. Carlos Illyich Ramirez claimed it was "inspirational". :mad:

I've got several other books on the subject, of an academic nature. These are in my attic somewhere. I believe one of them is a compilation of Granma articles written by Castro after he took power, and also copies of his pre-war letters when he was exiled in Mexico. If you are interested, just PM me and I will pull the books out so you can have the titles/ISBN. You can probably find copies of these in some university libraries.

Regards,

Four Aces

·
Registered
21,744 Posts
I also read Havana Bay, if you like novels about Cuba you may enjoy Havana, by Stephen Hunter, and King Bongo, a novel of Havana, by Thomas Sanchez. Happy reading.:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts