Cigar Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given all the, no doubt deserved and also welcome plaudits for the recent spate of limited edition smokes that have come on board recently, I felt like stepping up with a review of a plain ol’ 98 Bolivar PC from the cab that cost me about four bucks at the time.

Pre-light: an oily uniform Colorado wrapper with strains of black seeping through and some blue (not moldy) patches emerging. The construction is firm, not to say hard, but with an ever-so-slight give between the fingers, a good combination. Bouquet is subdued, but the unlit draw after the cut is, at the same time, vibrant and musty.

From the light on, it’s evident that this one’s a winner. It doesn’t have the full power of the old Bolivars of the 70s (as far back as I go), but it does have a ton of flavor—as for spice, I’m getting nutmeg and white pepper, and midway through it developed that espresso-grounds oiliness that is typical of larger format Bolis. Thereafter, it retained an unctuous depth and strength—no creaminess here, just full-throttled leather and spice and rich loam—all in a chewy finish that lasts for a full minute. The ash is firm and long, and this little puppy lasted for over an hour. Just a tremendous smoke and yet another reminder of how great a “regular” Habanos can be.

The GOOSE gifted me a 94 (I think—lots of wine beforehand) Partagas Tres Petit that was also stunning. More forward and aggressively powerful and one-dimensional than this Boli PC, but oh my goodness, what a dimension! A thrill of voluminous, rustic strength in every draw, and yet tempered by the years into perfection at every take/toke.

Two great, "regular" release smokes!

Finally, the club needs more reviews! Gorillas, come out, come out wherever you are and report on your smokes, please! We all need vicarious pleasure!!!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Great review Brit!

I always enjoy reading yours. I just had a '97 Boli PC Cab the other day. It was very much the same as you describe. One of the true greats of the regular vitolas, I would wholeheartedly agree.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Great review! I think 98 Boli pcs from a cab is one of my fav. regular smokes. Which reminds me I need to find some more. :w

I also have 98 Part. Tres Petits. I find them to be a bit more powerful than shorts but seem to have a bit more complexity.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Re: 98 Boli PC from a Cab

I purchased a dress box of 98's and set them down for a few weeks to rest after their trip. I couldn't wait to try one so for a little trip to the next town I thought this would be perfect for a 40 minute ride. After I clipped the cap for the prelight draw the twangy sweetness of this cigar was very evident without even lighting it... I knew this was going to be good.... I was amazed at the sweet spicy flavor that came though after the first puff. Burn was perfect and the flavor built thoughout the cigar. When I arrive at my destination I still had about 2" left... Honey I'll be right back, it took about 15 minutes to pickup the things I needed... I pulled this baby back out and light it back up... oh yeah it's still great... I found a paper clip to smoke this baby to ashes... I got some strange looks on the drive... I guess it looked like a big fat doobie to some... I smoked it to 1/4"... I couldn't wait to get home for another one... I have to get some more of these... definitely one of the great regular production smokes I've had.... Bman

·
Registered
2,049 Posts

Good review Lusi. Makes me want one even more.

:pu

·
Registered
2,038 Posts

Great review! The recent ones are smoking great too. I just picked up a cab from MAR04 I haven't tried yet. They still have a bit of an ammonia smell. I'll wait a couple months to try, Iv'e still got a few from a dress box 1 1/2 yrs old.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts