Cigar Forums banner

Bobby Knight

Tags
bobby knight
2K views 34 replies 17 participants last post by  OB1 Stogie 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I agree. Some guys need to grow a sac. I went to a private high school and heard all kinds of stories about what the coaches used to do to the players back in the day. Things get blown ridiculously out of proportion anymore...

#6 ·
Upon reading this I did go and find it on the net. It was a lot worse then what i thought it was going to be. After seeing it i would not say that it is all right to do but then again i don't see a problem with it. Like they talk about if this is any other coach this is a none issue.

Wait till you see it. Then you will probably say "is that it?".

I like what Gene Keady had to say about it. "If the kids parents would do that when they are 6, 7, or 8 years old, Coach Knight wouldn't have to do it." :r So true!

#7 ·
Wait till you see it. Then you will probably say "is that it?".

I like what Gene Keady had to say about it. "If the kids parents would do that when they are 6, 7, or 8 years old, Coach Knight wouldn't have to do it." :r So true!

:ms NCRM
100% true

3 times last year I had to hit or throw a kid (same kid) to get messages through to him. Finally, by the end of the season, he went from being on academic probation to >90% average and went from being a pain in the ass waste of talent to a decent player who was being looked at for some local accolades. He also learned that it is not funny to use foul language around our trainer (a woman) when she tells him not to and that he is to start showing some respect to others.

For a lot of these kids that are 18, 240lbs, and like to pretend they are tough, playing nicey nicey with all that happy-hippy BS does not work.

If his parents had done this to him 5 years ago, he'd have a full academic or athletic ride to college and wouldn't have been a pain in my ass.

#8 ·
I think this most recent thing is just more of the same mostly manufactured news that some members of the sports media likes to run on Coach Knight. He holds most of them in contempt, calls the idiots among them idiots, and so he's made a lot of enemies in that camp (since a lot of them are, in fact, idiots). These kinds of stories are just how they get back at him.

If I hold the guy to blame for anything it is for letting himself get jerked around like he has. These guys push buttons hoping he will respond. Is he hyper competitive and emotional in some situations? I'd have to say that much is obvious. But if the stories I hear are true, we've had local football coaches and legendary college football coaches who treated their teams a lot worse than Bobby Knight has. Nobody is whining about them, maybe because they made some kids into men.

#9 ·
I graduated from IU and was there during "The Knight Years". I was a fan of his before going to IU and I continue to be a fan of his. I agree with Keady (I can't believe I said that), if more coaches were like Knight, you wouldn't have problem players like Moss and T.O., to name a few. I have two sons and I would have no problem with them playing for Knight. For one, I know they would be required to get an education first and they would learn basketball and life lessons from one of the best coaches ever, in any sport. This whole incident was blown out of proportion and if another coach had done it, it wouldn't have been an issue.

#10 ·
I have no problem with what Knight did the kid wasn't paying attention to him so he hit his chin up to look him in the eyes, the kid's dad even said he didn't have a problem with it, so right there tells you there is no problem and the thing should be dropped.

#11 ·
I have no problem with what Knight did the kid wasn't paying attention to him so he hit his chin up to look him in the eyes, the kid's dad even said he didn't have a problem with it, so right there tells you there is no problem and the thing should be dropped.
:tpd:
Bob Knight relocated to Texas from Indiana the same year I did - worked out well for me to become a TT fan (not to mention all the dang longhorns and aggies around here get annoying!)

:fu Gene Keady

#12 ·
What made it worse was the camera's catching the player sitting on the bench trying to re-arrange his jaw like it was broke. Absolutely rediculous.

#13 ·
I agree for the most part if this was an isolated incident, but it is a pattern of behavior that is a concern. Knight knew the game is on national TV and was on his best behavior, what is he doing in practises when there is no camara?

I believe he is a great coach, as evidenced by the fact he will pass Dean Smith this year, and yes today's players don't take responsibilities for what they don't do. But there was no excuse in this incident. The kid wasn't talking back, he was't disrespecting Knight, and to me didn't act as if he wasn't listening. He was just down about his own play. You can grab him by the shoulder to get his attention, you can yell, but don't hit the kid.

#14 ·
Knight knew the game is on national TV and was on his best behavior, what is he doing in practises when there is no camara?
I believe that you could say this about most coaches. Everybody loves Coach K but I've heard that he has a pretty good temper and I would bet that he's contacted a player before.

The thing is that it wasn't malicious. If Bobby wanted to hurt him then he would have knocked him out. He was trying to get his attention and it worked. He probably could have grabbed his shirt or shoulder and got the same result but no harm was intended in the "hit."

I wonder how Neil Reid feels about this?

#17 ·
Really - everybody loves that jerk? I use to live in Indianapolis and in my opinion - Bobby Knight is a major assshat and should have been banned from organized sports long ago!!!

:bn
I need to clarify. When I say Coach K, I mean Krewzywuski(yes I know the spelling is not right) the rat from Dook.

If you read my post again it should make sense.

#18 ·

it isn't the military ... it's basketball!!

enough is enough!!!:rolleyes: what would happen if one of his players :sl him back!?
Bobby Knight is a major assshat and should have been banned from organized sports long ago!!!
If you guys dont mind, can I ask how old both of you are and if you ever played any type of organized sport?

I only ask because this is the way sports are....there's not a coach in existence that hasn't layed a hand on a player in way or another. I ask your age because your comments tend to be a little overreactive, immature and leaning toward the winey athletes of current day. Players like Allen Iverson, Randy Moss, Terrel Owens, etc...needed to be "disciplined" a little more often instead of having their every whim catered to. Their actions and attitudes are what is wrong wit this country and are a direct reflection on todays youth, the so called "Hip Hop Generation." It's an embarassment.

#23 ·
They should just leave the man alone and let him raise them young men, and let men be men. Thats what's wrong with some of the youngings today. not enough hands on:sl
Also, I don't think there is ANYTHING wrong with running his program like the military. Every serviceman I have met has been damn allright in my book. You aren't getting any surprises with Bobby, he'll call you out and tell it like it is, if you don't like it don't play ball for him.
:2

#24 ·
Look I just wish he was in the NBA to smack some sense into some of those low rent athletes that pollute that league!

I hope the guy didn't have to go to therapy for that one.......What a pussy!

ATL

#26 ·
Look I just wish he was in the NBA to smack some sense into some of those low rent athletes that pollute that league!
Agreed, but you have to start somewhere. Those same players are starting out in high school and then college without any discipline and being told they can do no wrong and if they do get in trouble, it's swept under the rug. :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.