Cigar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've really been getting into tea lately. There's a bewildering range of varieties and blends. For me there's little that quite as satisfying as a hot cup of tea as a means to warm up at work or as a way to relax at home.

Believe me, after 6 oversized cups yesterday I was flying... And it's cheap!

It seems there's a parallel between pipe tobacco and black tea. To some extent it looks like pipe tobacco anyway. Pipe tobacco is to tea what cigars are to coffee or so I've heard.

Generally the bolder flavors of coffee match with those of a cigar a little better than tea might. But that got me to thinking. One thing that I really enjoy about some Torano signature cigars is a noticable tea-like scent in the pre-light aroma. Yet I haven't really picked up on that flavor too much while I'm smoking a signature. Thinking about the flavor of the signature I reckon it might make a good match with a Pu-erh, Ceylon or Java. Something to try for the future anyway... Maybe I'll catch more of the tea-like flavor that I like in the pre-light while I smoke.

At any rate ... Tea, it's good.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I've never really looked into all these fancy teas, but I do like jasmine and iced green tea with honey and lemon. They go great with lighter bodied cigars.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jasmine tea is good stuff. Very refreshing and good for cold season too.

Assam and Ceylon tea aren't too fancy. Smell Lipton tea and you're smelling a good amount of Ceylon leaf. Assam can kind of be a chemealeon. I've had some that just reek of malt and others that had a honey-like sweetness and a floral nose. You've got to be really careful not to let them oversteep otherwise they get bitter big time! Assam and Ceylon tea are used as the basis for all sorts of tea: various breakfast blends, earl grey etc.

Pu-erh is really fun stuff. It can come in loose leaf, pressed into bricks, wheels, mushrooms or "bird's nests". I've got the bird's nests. It's surprising how far this little bit of tea goes. I use just one for work in a one qt. thermos full of boiling hot water and let it steep the whole day. It takes some getting used to -- a lot of folks get turned off by the musty smell. But it's strong and keeps me going through all these cold days lately. Apparently during it's processing it's buried under ground for some period of time but I'm not sure if that's just some marketing BS.

Never tried doing an iced tea with green tea. I'll have to give it a try.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I love having a smoke with just a straight iced tea. Of course that is usually my drink of choice whenever! I thought that the punch DC dom. had some tea hints in the flavor and aftertaste, thats one reason its in my top 10. Maybe you should try it and see what ya think.

...kjpman

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kjpman-- I'll look out for those Punch DCs the next time I'm in the shop. Was it maduro wrapped or natural?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts