Cigar Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

New cigar smoker here up in Canada. Am slowly buying a supply of cigars and am looking at getting a tupperware container for a humidor. Was wondering if you fine folks can recommend a brand of tupperware that works best for humidors? There are so many different products out there that I'm finding it hard to figure out what would work!

Thanks!

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ordered the Spanish Cedar trays and tupperware you suggested, thanks! Now, what i'm wondering is, do I have to "season" the cedar in some way? Or is that just with all-wood humidors?

Thanks so much again!

A lot of us here use Sistema 236 oz tuppers with Spanish cedar trays.

https://www.amazon.com/Sistema-Storage-Container-Leftovers-Dishwasher/dp/B00284AG5U

https://www.amazon.com/Mantello-Spanish-Adjustable-Divider-Humidors/dp/B079V3KYT7

View attachment 319970

View attachment 319967

View attachment 319968
[/QUOTE]

· Super Moderator
9,429 Posts
I ordered the Spanish Cedar trays and tupperware you suggested, thanks! Now, what i'm wondering is, do I have to "season" the cedar in some way? Or is that just with all-wood humidors?

Thanks so much again!

Since the Spanish cedar (SC) trays are not responsible for creating the seal - like with a wooden humidor - and therefore not susceptible to causing leaks from warping, you can simply wipe them down with distilled water (DW). No long-term passive seasoning necessary. Throw in a 60g Boveda or two and you're good-to-go (there'll be room down the sides or ends so they don't take up space meant for cigars). A hygrometer is nice to have, and I do use them (preferred Caliber IV hygro pictured), but I've found that it's not essential with this set-up. Pretty much stays rock steady.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since the Spanish cedar (SC) trays are not responsible for creating the seal - like with a wooden humidor - and therefore not susceptible to causing leaks from warping, you can simply wipe them down with distilled water (DW). No long-term passive seasoning necessary. Throw in a 60g Boveda or two and you're good-to-go (there'll be room down the sides or ends so they don't take up space meant for cigars). A hygrometer is nice to have, and I do use them (preferred Caliber IV hygro pictured), but I've found that it's not essential with this set-up. Pretty much stays rock steady.
Wonderful! Thank you for the great advice!

· Registered
Cigars from Nicaragua, Honduras mostly
19 Posts

Thanks so much again!

A lot of us here use Sistema 236 oz tuppers with Spanish cedar trays.

https://www.amazon.com/Sistema-Storage-Container-Leftovers-Dishwasher/dp/B00284AG5U

https://www.amazon.com/Mantello-Spanish-Adjustable-Divider-Humidors/dp/B079V3KYT7

View attachment 319970

View attachment 319967

View attachment 319968
[/QUOTE]
Same here, thx.

· Registered
Cigars from Nicaragua, Honduras mostly
19 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Same here, thx.
[/QUOTE]
Just another random question. I bought all the supplies you recommended and my cedar trays are now sitting with two Boveda 84% bags. How long should I expect to leave them in there before it reaches my desired humidity level? (69%)

Thanks again!

· Super Moderator
9,429 Posts
Just another random question. I bought all the supplies you recommended and my cedar trays are now sitting with two Boveda 84% bags. How long should I expect to leave them in there before it reaches my desired humidity level? (69%)

Thanks again!
If you're going the passive seasoning route, rather than simply wiping down the trays with DW, then I'd give it at least a couple of weeks. And remember, you're simply seasoning the trays with those 84%'s, not seeking stable RH yet. That comes after you've finished seasoning the trays and put your desired RH Bovedas in instead. At that point you'll still need to give them anywhere from a few days to a couple of weeks to reach equilibrium.

Oh, and BTW, 69% is too high for a sealed container IMO (and in the rather well established opinion of dozens of other tupperdor users who've discussed it on this site). 69% Bovedas are generally fine in a leaky wooden humidor that'll end up sitting in the mid 60's with them anyway. But in a tupper I wouldn't go higher than the 65%-ers.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you're going the passive seasoning route, rather than simply wiping down the trays with DW, then I'd give it at least a couple of weeks. And remember, you're simply seasoning the trays with those 84%'s, not seeking stable RH yet. That comes after you've finished seasoning the trays and put your desired RH Bovedas in instead. At that point you'll still need to give them anywhere from a few days to a couple of weeks to reach equilibrium.

Oh, and BTW, 69% is too high for a sealed container IMO (and in the rather well established opinion of dozens of other tupperdor users who've discussed it on this site). 69% Bovedas are generally fine in a leaky wooden humidor that'll end up sitting in the mid 60's with them anyway. But in a tupper I wouldn't go higher than the 65%-ers.
Thanks for the great advice! This is so educational and useful!!! I will take your advice re: lower humidity once the trays are seasoned!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts