Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you all prefer as a means to light up a good smoke? Some are of the school of long cedar strips. Others like the long cigar matches and the proper name for those eludes me. Some like the powerful butane torch lighters than can weld metal, it seems. While others use the old go-to bic 79 cent lighter. What is your opinion?

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
Lucky 13 said:
What do you all prefer as a means to light up a good smoke? Some are of the school of long cedar strips. Others like the long cigar matches and the proper name for those eludes me. Some like the powerful butane torch lighters than can weld metal, it seems. While others use the old go-to bic 79 cent lighter. What is your opinion?
My (long-winded :D ) opinion here, http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=6416&highlight=cedar , also below:

Has anybody ever paid attention to burning cedar when used to light a cigar?
I find that burning cedar puts out a lot of dark smoke which maybe from wood resins being burned. Just think, when you're lighting a cigar you're actually drawing that burning resin into the cigar, and later you'll be drawing it into your mouth. The idea is just disgusting. Far from adding any "natural flavor" to the cigar, I think it would detract from the natural flavors of the tobacco.

Now I don't want to sound negative to anyone who likes torching a cigar w/ cedar, but once you pay close attention to the amount of burning resing coming from cedar, I just don't see how you'd want to do that.

As for matches, I find that stick matches work well, but because of the short burn time of most short matches, I often use 3 or 4 at a time. The flame's bigger and "hotter" and a cigar lights much faster when using a few at a time.

But my favorite lighter overall is a Colibri Trifecta. Great torch. For back up, I like to use a Solo Trek -- another great lighter. I often attend herfs wearing a fanny pack in which I'll also carry additional back up lighters including a Nibo triple torch, and my favorite of all pocket lighters (no longer made) a Blazer Ambassador. Now in my fanny pack I'll also carry a couple of cutters -- I like using Palio and Savinelli ones.

Ungh!! Boy did I just go on rambling!! Sorry about that. Hope some of what I said turns out useful.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
matches or an antique lighter.

·
Registered
234 Posts
It used to be impressive to light a cigar with a cedar strip- right up until the point that I burned a hole in my shirt.

Then I spent $$$$ on every space age, multi flamed, colored, compass/knife/cutter bearing mini torch out there. Some lost, some crap, some now in the hands of our anti terrorist watchdogs at the airport.

Zippos not withstanding, go cheap- when you're enjoying a fine smoke who cares how it got lit?

·
Registered
382 Posts
I got a $1.50 triple flame torch lighter on ebay, and it works great and I have never had any problems. Lights cigars much more evenly than any other means I think, and it also has no smell or taste. The most important thing when using one is to refill it with quality fluid and it should work fine.

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
I used to use Bics, cause they were cheap & dependable. Then, I learned about triple refined butane & now have half a dozen torch lighters lying around the house.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Anything butane, flint or torch lighter is my preference. I think lighting a cigar with cedar is nasty. Cedar is great for aging cigars, but does cedar smoke taste good? I tried lighting a cigar with a cedar strip once. The cigar tasted like burning wood to me after that, not burning tobacco.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Anything works for me.

I use the long cigar matches and mostly butane torches.

I have a lot of torches. Triple flames are the best but I have a double flame from Vector and several single flame lighters. They all work.

·
Still Smitty's biotch!
3,335 Posts
Any butane lighter will work fine.

I used to spend big money on fancy Colibri lighters. For me they broke frequently and spent waay too long in the repair shop.

I now use $10 or less torch lighters from Nibo. I have been tempted lately to pick up a vector Emporer lighter, but then I realize I would rather have additional cigars than a fancier lighter.

-Matt-

·
X Canadian
1,306 Posts
I only use imported Spanish Cedar strips imported from Barcellona and hand picked from 2000 year old trees by scantilly clad virgins then hand packed in mink lined boxes made from 100 year oak trees and delivered by courier directly to my home.

Or when I run out of those I use the free supercheap lighter that mikescigars.com gave me 3 of with my last order.

Seriously, if your on the third hole on a breezy day, does it really matter what you light it with?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I prefer the .79 cent Bic or similar lighter. I find that when smoking cigars I can really go through a lighter and butane. Just think about it, it takes about 10 times the butane to light a corona than a single cigarette. Now if you are smoking the big boys it might take 20 times as much. Then retouching for an uneven burn if present etc. The torches are nice but the gas is kind of pricey and the way I go through lighters I like to buy a 5 pack of good Bics for around $3.00. These will last a while. The price may even out with a torch and the gas in the long run. A torch is nice looking though but you can burn a cigar real easily with one of those welders if not careful. Just my opinion! :pu

·
Yeah, yeah... It's me...
958 Posts
While I have a very nice Colibri torch lighter I prefer for everyday use a cheap torch lighter I picked up somewhere for about $4. Works great, has a large tank and an angled flame...

Of course the best method I have ever found is to get your cigar lit at Del Friscos in Dallas by one of their lovely ladies in the cigar lounge.... All you have to do is set there in one of their deep leather chairs, lean back, place the cigar in your mouth and have her bend over in front of you to light your stick.... oh well, you get the picture....

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
God said:
While I have a very nice Colibri torch lighter I prefer for everyday use a cheap torch lighter I picked up somewhere for about $4. Works great, has a large tank and an angled flame...

Of course the best method I have ever found is to get your cigar lit at Del Friscos in Dallas by one of their lovely ladies in the cigar lounge.... All you have to do is set there in one of their deep leather chairs, lean back, place the cigar in your mouth and have her bend over in front of you to light your stick.... oh well, you get the picture....
God,
I always figured you'd just reach down into the flames of hell & light your cigar off of the burning head of Adolph Hitler, Josef Stalin, etc. :r

·
Still Smitty's biotch!
3,335 Posts
God said:
Man, I am going to have to try Del Frisco's!!

·
Yeah, yeah... It's me...
958 Posts
kansashat said:
God,
I always figured you'd just reach down into the flames of hell & light your cigar off of the burning head of Adolph Hitler, Josef Stalin, etc. :r
Well I used to but that damn Lucifer started spiking it with too much sulpher...

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.