Cigar Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I'm a beginner to cigars and I'm having some trouble with seasoning my new humidor. I bought an Audew JC-23C1 150ct humidor. I did the wipe down method (after doing more research I realized it was a terrible idea) and I have had the sponge in there for 11 days. My RH keeps fluctuating between 85%-89%, and my shelves are still damp. What do I do? Am I doing it correctly? Should I take the sponge out and place the container that came with the humidor inside of it with distilled water? Or should I leave the sponge and be patient? Am I doing this all wrong??

·
Retired Chaos Designer
12,608 Posts
I would suggest that you take out the sponge and all humidity devices that you might have. If you’ve had a wet/damp sponge in there for 11 days then it’s absorbed all the moisture it’s going to, its time to start bringing it back down. You’re probably going to have to leave the door open for about 15-20 minutes, close the door and give it about 8-12 hours, see whe the rh is and do it again until you get it down to around 70 then you can stabilize it and bring it down to where you want it. It’ll probably take another week or so.
Have you calibrated your hygrometer?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have 2 hydrometers and I calibrated both of them already, one was a point off and the other was spot on. I have 5 packs of boveda 69% ready to go in but I can't get the RH down and the shelves dry so I will try opening the door and repeating like you said. Should I take everything out and just have the hydrometer in there? Then when the RH drops to 70% but the boveda packs in to stabilize the RH?

I also have another question about the inside temperature, when I plug in the humidor and set the temp to 70, the hydrometer says it runs between 62-68.
I've tried to raise the temp setting up to 72-74 and the inside still stays too cold. But when I unplug it the temp runs between 73-79. I don't know how to control the temp to keep it around 70 degrees.

·
Retired Chaos Designer
12,608 Posts
I have 2 hydrometers and I calibrated both of them already, one was a point off and the other was spot on. I have 5 packs of boveda 69% ready to go in but I can't get the RH down and the shelves dry so I will try opening the door and repeating like you said. Should I take everything out and just have the hydrometer in there? Then when the RH drops to 70% but the boveda packs in to stabilize the RH?

I also have another question about the inside temperature, when I plug in the humidor and set the temp to 70, the hydrometer says it runs between 62-68.
I've tried to raise the temp setting up to 72-74 and the inside still stays too cold. But when I unplug it the temp runs between 73-79. I don't know how to control the temp to keep it around 70 degrees.
Yeah, go ahead and take everything out, as far as I know most of the coolers won’t go above 65f. You’re good in that temp range. The whole 70/70 idea is an outdated concept that is known to cause problems, a lot of the guys that have been at this for a long time keep their cigars anowhere from 60-67rh
The higher your Rh the lower temp you need, I know from personal experience that 67rh and any temp over 69 will cause mold issues. My storage right now is 69f and 64-65rh

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, go ahead and take everything out, as far as I know most of the coolers won’t go above 65f. You’re good in that temp range. The whole 70/70 idea is an outdated concept that is known to cause problems, a lot of the guys that have been at this for a long time keep their cigars anowhere from 60-67rh
The higher your Rh the lower temp you need, I know from personal experience that 67rh and any temp over 69 will cause mold issues. My storage right now is 69f and 64-65rh
Awesome thank you very much!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Re. HUMIDOR'S - -> I will not typically keep a large supply of sticks at home. But I would like to have a small (well made) humidor. Can I buy one that only has a 10 (or so) cigar capacity ?? --- pruhdlr

·
Super Moderator
17,545 Posts
Re. HUMIDOR'S - -> I will not typically keep a large supply of sticks at home. But I would like to have a small (well made) humidor. Can I buy one that only has a 10 (or so) cigar capacity ?? --- pruhdlr
Yep.. don't go budget crap unless you wanna fight it. Waxing moon is great.

Plus you might wanna think 20 cap. Then you can fit your hygro and boveda.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: BlueRidgePuffer

·
Super Moderator
17,545 Posts
A lot easier to just use Tupperware

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No doubt. But I think he's looking for a nice display kinda thing. Not the usual hoarder , sorry, I mean "collector", crap like us.

Give him a month around here and he'll be asking about coolers.. lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts