Cigar Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I do some wood working as a hobby, and I have an order to make a cigar humidor. I am a novice when it comes to cigars, so could use some advice. I am wanting to mount a hygrometer to the front of the humidor, but I can't find any info on how this should be done. I can't even find a picture of the inside of a humidor that has a front mount. It seems like the hygrometers are wider at the front, so I am assuming I would drill a smaller hole, and once its pushed in it will be flush. Does their need to be some sort of seal or gasket to make the hygrometer air tight? Also, how far into the box does the hygrometer need to be. My humidor is going to be over a little over an inch thick. Most hygrometers I have found are .7" thick. Any info you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated.

·
Minister of Propaganda
1,416 Posts
I agree with Humphrey’s Ghost. Spend your time making sure the joints are solid and the lid seals tightly. Don’t stick an analogue hygrometer through the side or top. They look cool, but they’re just an imprecise knick-knack with leaks all around them.

If you want to include a hygrometer for your customer, put a spot on the inside of the lid where you can stick a digital unit with a magnet. A little neodymium magnet will do the trick and they can be small enough to recess into even relatively thin wood.

What kind of wood are you thinking about using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Retired Chaos Designer
13,808 Posts
You can get face mount digital hygrometers, the problem I’ve run into is sealing it, it comes with a tapered rubber gasket that has pressure kerfs so it’s not a good seal by itself, I used some weather stripping foam around mine, it works but it does need to be replaced when I have to pull the hygrometer to change the battery. I wouldn’t want to do this for a client/friend
One thing I do when I build a humidor is to seal the interior of the box with a liq rubber membrane then add the Spanish cedar.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree with Humphrey’s Ghost. Spend your time making sure the joints are solid and the lid seals tightly. Don’t stick an analogue hygrometer through the side or top. They look cool, but they’re just an imprecise knick-knack with leaks all around them.

If you want to include a hygrometer for your customer, put a spot on the inside of the lid where you can stick a digital unit with a magnet. A little neodymium magnet will do the trick and they can be small enough to recess into even relatively thin wood.

What kind of wood are you thinking about using?

I'm using some curly maple, and lining the inside with Spanish Cedar. I appreciate all the info. Think I'll reconfigure my plans, and just mount one on the inside instead.

·
Minister of Propaganda
1,416 Posts
That curly maple should make a pretty box.

When you do build it, please post some pictures! There are several of us around here who like to see woodwork projects.

·
Super Moderator
17,924 Posts

When you do build it, please post some pictures! There are several of us around here who like to see woodwork projects.

I second that

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Will do! I am hoping to have it done within the next couple of weeks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts