Cigar Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

I was out for a nice drive with the wife last night enjoying the sunset and nice summer weather when i decided to stop by the local stogie shop and make a purchase of some Padron 64's. When I walked in i did as I always do, started browsing and upon further inspection of a box of Oliveros I saw a beetle run down one of the sticks. i looked closer and noticed that a half dozen of the stogies had holes in them and some of the stogies had up to a half dozen holes in them. I brought it to the attention of the stores employees,they started taking them out of the box (i should have looked at other boxes around them but didnt), at that time I walked to the back of the shop and grabbed my Padron 64s (different cabinet humidor) and went to the register.

My question is do you think my purchase is safe or should I avoid that shop like the plague? Or do the beetles primarily stay within the box or will they travel to other boxes and other humi's?

Funny thing, I didnt look back in the humi after the purchase but I have a funny feeling they put those stogies back in the box.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I saw some beetles on a few sticks at my local shop and notified the guy at the counter. He didn't seem all that concerned about hunting for them or turning on the air conditioning.

Many memebers with lockers complained about their Havanas having beetles problems. Since they didn't buy them from him it was tough shit to them for the ruined sticks.

I never bought from him again.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
RE: Beetles

Bro's

Beetles will spread. Trust me on that.
That tobacconist needs to be vigilant and consider fumigating his humidor.

See the string: Club Stogie Cigar Forums > Main Forums > World Cigar Lounge > do you freeze your cigars?
Got some real life experience in there.

MoTheMan

·
Registered
354 Posts
Two weeks ago I was at my local shop and found two boxes of Ashton VSGs with lots of bug holes. I pointed them out to the part timer working there. He was very thankful.

I went there yesterday and they're back in the humidor.

I'm thinking that maybe I won't be going back for a long long time.
You should consider doing the same.
Good Luck

·
Registered
271 Posts
I think if any shop where a person sells a product to a consumer that cigar shops would have to be one of the most personal types of shops as far as relationship with customer. I know when i walk into one of the three shops I regular the person behind the counter almost always knows who I am and usually we chat for several mintues, not just about cigars. I must say if I were to walk into a shop and notice beetles in the case I would tell them right then and expect then to remove them and such. Knowing these shops I believe they would do exactly what there supposed to. Its almost a trust that you know your getting a top-notch product (assuming thats what your buying) The idea that these stores would not care is amazingly sad.

Ryan

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hi Yorkie

I'm on the south coast in Dartmouth, the shop is in New Bedford.
I can't say which, other than this experience they're a good place to buy stogies.

An interesting side note, the Commie health department has banned any one under the age of 18 from entering the shop.
So you cannot drop by with your kids to pick up a stick. They've had to post a sign on the door! When I was there a couple days ago some poor guy was locking his young son in the car so he could run in and grab a cigar.

What is this world coming too?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya I noticed that sign also. Unbelievable, with the heroin running rampant in South Boston, the government is worried about kids going in a cigar shop. WOW

·
Registered
271 Posts
I mean honestly minors don't buy cigars...... I know i never did :r

Ryan

·
DymOnamic
966 Posts
drc said:
So, what's that mean? You only mooched until you turned 18? :confused:
Lets see, my oldest is 14....the youngest is 4, "Daddys got an idea"!
:w :D :w I think you may soon see two new chimps on the board!:r

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yorkie077 said:
Ya I noticed that sign also. Unbelievable, with the heroin running rampant in South Boston, the government is worried about kids going in a cigar shop. WOW
It all starts with 'em going into a cigar shop! Then comes the booze, drugs and indiscriminate sexual behaviour!:rolleyes: I saw it on the discovery channel:r :al .

G

·
Re: Beetles

MoTheMan said:
Bro's

Beetles will spread. Trust me on that.
That tobacconist needs to be vigilant and consider fumigating his humidor.

See the string: Club Stogie Cigar Forums > Main Forums > World Cigar Lounge > do you freeze your cigars?
Got some real life experience in there.

MoTheMan
What can they use to fumigate the humidor without hurting the cigars?
-matt

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've found beetles a couple times at one of my local shops. First time was in one of his walk-ins and the second time was with Ashton VSG's that are kept in large stand-up cabinet humidor whre he keeps all the Fuente family sticks(i.e. Opus, D. Carlos, Hemi, Diamond Crown...ect.) Both times he inspected and removed the invested sticks. I don't believe he did anymore than that...and I've never had a problem with his product once in my humidors at home. I for one would be chittin bricks if that was my shop...he however just took it in stride.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts