Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think the Band of Brothers series is one of the best war movies of al times. In case you dont know, it is a series produced by Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg about the 101st Airborne during WW2. I own the box set on dvd. Anyone else enjoy it?

·
CS Noob Ambassador
1,194 Posts
Pacific version would be sweet
A very well done series

PaulMac

·
Sneaky Bombin Bastage
2,569 Posts
Great series. I continue to watch it over and over.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Loved the series! It was remarkable how closely it followed Ambrose's book.

Absolutely one of my favorite series of all time! Would love to see (and read) a Pacific Band of Brothers.

:u

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Bringing it back. I searched and saw this thread and I would add to it instead of starting a new one. I love this series. Like millow said, I enjoy having some of the episodes taking a more personal point of view from one specific character. The best one is Part Six when they are in Bastogne. I think telling that part from anyone else besides the medic wouldn't have done it justice.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I really like the jumps and seeing them in the aircraft, listening to the jump commands, Winters defines leadership in that series... friggin intense man, those men were hard...

·
CS Noob Ambassador
1,194 Posts
I am a huge WWII movie fan and I highly recommend When Trumpets Fade, was an HBO film about the Huertgen forest battle, which most people never heard of, but they should have...was a real good movie and introduced me to Ron Eldard who I think is a rather good actor

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
In high school (back in the early '70's for you young'uns) we had an English and History teacher with a glass eye. As I recall he never mentioned anything about WWII and never taught the subject. Mr Tipper was his name. Calm, quiet and yet kind of weird (or so we thought).
You are correct - imagine my surprise when I saw the series for the first time and there is my Mr. Tipper from Arvada High School sitting with his daughter talking about the war, the same Tipper portrayed in the series.
Even had I known back then, I doubt the gravity and importance of his service would have struck home. Now having watched the series a bizillion times (yes, I own the DVD set too) along with every other WWII movie I can find and having read everything I can get my hands on, I am always humbled when I realize how close I sat to someone who helped shape history, and then came home to shape young minds, all the while being so humble himself.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
"No, I wasn't a hero... but I served with them."

Major Richard Winters
Great series.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
By far one of the greatest mini-series ever produced on TV. A testament that everything on TV doesn't have to suck!

ATL

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
TheSmokingHiker said:
I think the Band of Brothers series is one of the best war movies of al times. In case you dont know, it is a series produced by Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg about the 101st Airborne during WW2. I own the box set on dvd. Anyone else enjoy it?
I watched it back a couple years ago and why just last Saturday while telling my sons NO when they grabbed GTA San Andreas I caught a glimpse of the box set Band of Brothers. They love war movies and this one is the topper! Anyway my youngest who is convinced he's a soldier like his grandpa (he's been talking about this since he was 5 and he's still talking about it at 13 so I guess it's more than a passing fancy). I watched again after they finished. Awesome awesome series. The old soldiers at the start, man that's powerful. My dad's practically one of those guys they brag up, the NCO like the hero of the series (well they are all heros) but you know the main character along with Nix. Both those guys were playing the part of NCO. My dad got his NCO in WW2, pacific theater I want to say.

In the history of warfare there is nothing more horrific than when two western armies meet on the battlefield. You had it in the Civil war, WW1 and WW2. Two evenly matched western armies is a prescription for total war and total death. I'm glad we are mostly on the same side now.

If you guys are interested in getting into the WW2 era and how it felt to be alive then, I suggest picking up a copy of Studs Terkel's The Good War. It's a compendium of interviews he did with thousands of people who experienced it first hand. If you want to get into the strategy and personalities at the top read the Eisenhower book by David Eisenhower. It's goes over D-Day, Market Garden and the Italy invasion, forget the code word, in detail and is somewhat technical.

·
Registered
902 Posts
by the way
clint eastwood will be directing a new movie on the battle of iwo jima based off the book flags of our fathers alot sooner the the pacific war will be released

although alot of the movie will focus on the soldiers that raised the flag on mt surbachi and their stuggle coming back to the states in the war bond drives

I hope eastwood dosent stoop to a america bashing film like many of his hollywood friends have in the past

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.