Cigar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of you will recall when I posted last summer that a new cigar-friendly bar/restaurant (Stonebridge Tavern) had opened one mile from my home in Woodstock, GA.

Well... the owners have caved in to the friggin' cigar Nazis. :c

At about 6 PM last night, I was enjoyed a smoke with one of my herfin' buddies when one of the owners came up and said that we'd have to put out our cigars. He said they have been getting 2-3 complaints a night the last couple of weeks about cigar smoke and they were going to ban cigars starting immediately.

My reply was that I would not put out my half-smoked Boli CG but that I would pay up and leave.

I told him that he had every right to set the policies for his private business and I respected that. I then informed him that if he every decided to allow cigar smoking again he could let me know by dropping by Bogey's Sports Bar (his major competitor, one mile away) because they would now be getting 100% of my business from this moment on.

He offered to pick up the tab on my two drinks and I graciously thanked him but declined as I put my money on the bar and got up to leave.

My friend then wished the owner well in his new policy and put his money on the bar and said to me, "See ya at Bogey's tomorrow."

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
What a f***ing crock of sh**. I'm sick and tired of all these soccer moms and yuppies moving in with their liberal attitudes.

·
Registered
77 Posts
buy me a ticket to where ever this dude is........

Attachments

·
Registered
21,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wait until the word gets around to the golfers at the three courses, all within two miles of Stonebridge Tavern, that cigars are banned.

And that word will be getting around starting about 4:30 PM today. My buddy said he will post the ban notice in the locker rooms at the two clubs he's a member of and then meet me at Bogey's about 5 PM.

·
Registered
77 Posts
That sucks. There are still a lot of places we can smoke cigars in the Detroit area, but I, for one, am converting my 12x12 breezeway into a cigar-friendly family room (no, honey, it's NOT a smoking room ;) ) as a hedge against the cigar Nazis. Come on over if you're ever in town, flip.

·
DymOnamic
966 Posts
I agree with the walkout 100%. I'm assuming this establishment had a no- smoking area too. I've had a similiar situation in a place up here in the NW. I used to drive a few extra miles just to enjoy a cigar. Then one day they came up to me and said I could no longer smoke there and to put it out! :fu Never going back...ever.

The people who work in the cigar friendly establishment's always get top dollar gratuity from my smoking buddies and myself. I really don't get it.....I don't want to force anybody to breathe my secondhand smoke, most of the places I frequent understand this and design is taken into consideration. The do-good police need to be berated publicly at every given oppurtunity. Live and let live is not part of their M.O. What a bunch wimps and meddlers.

·
Registered
21,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unbelievable... you would think that more bars/resturants would cater to cigar smokers or atleast be a little more tolerable of it. Think about it... everyone I know who smokes cigars will take their finest few with them to show off... & you compliment a 20-30 dollar stick with the finest meal and drinks available... Besides that, a good stick lasts an hour or more... 1 before dinner with drinks & 1+ after with more drinks... who are these people catering to? The guy walking in the door to sit at the bar drink a $2 draft and order the $4.99 special?? Seriously I just don't get it :confused:

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
We are usually being kicked out by people smoking Marlboros Lites and drinking Bud Lite, or smoking Virginia Slims and drinking Diet Coke :fu

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
i'm still trying to figure out why people don't use their turn signals, so i don't claim to entirely understand this move... but it seems to me this guy doesn't care about your business. if he did, he could have put in (or changed to) a decent exhaust system and that would be the end of it. maybe that's not worth the cost. he's just giving the overwhelming majority of his customers what they want.

anyway- i just cancelled my flight to atlanta... i ain't going now. :mad:

·
Registered
77 Posts
correct me if i`m wrong, but don`t cigars smell better than cigarettes???

·
Chimpus herfustus
745 Posts
Hypocracy reigns supreme. It really is quite disconcerting how sheep-like americans can be. The media says tobacco is a killer! It becomes demon weed. The same people who are freaking out about tobacco smoke are eating food that will kill them long before 2nd hand smoke does, drinking stuff that will fry their livers, driving (which is probably the most dangerous thing you do on a daily basis), and/or working so many hours that they stress themselves into an early grave. It is interesting how certain things get demonized and everyone jumps on the bandwagon without any thought. I don't know. I just worry about where the infringement on personl freedom will stop. After tobacco, what next? I like fresh air as much as the next guy and I don't want to inhale someone else's smoke at a restaraunt so just put in some damn air filters and keep everyone happy. :sb
SB

·
Registered
67 Posts
What's next after cigars? I don't know if any of ya'll read John Grisham's "Runaway Jury". The target there was "Big Tobacco". Now, have ya'll seen the movie? Our friends in Hollywierd have (no pun intended) place the Gun Manufacturers. For some of you, this may not seem like a big deal, but for those of us in rural or semi-rural areas or even just hunters in general, this is scary as hell. It's a shame that the goverment is so busy protecting us from ourselves that we lose our rights little by little until we one day realize that they are gone. Sorry if this is a little off topic or on the wrong board but the discussion made me get my dander up just a bit.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
WHAT THE ****!!!

Haven't these restaurant & bar owners figured out that for between $1000 and $3000 they can install a top line smoke eater that will cleanse the air in the establishment several times a night and still keep the patrons happy?

Jeez!

Stupid, myopic "business people". Losing out on potential customers because they can't get creative.

Our Friday night group here in Baltimore likes to meet at Cigar Friendly establishments and even makes it a point to make sure to tip the staff (waitresses) at least 20% (often higher) for putting up with all our noise and demands all night long. From what I hear, several of the long time waitresses and the bartenders enjoy having or company there.

MoTheMan

·
Test Subject
2,645 Posts
You just can't go to "upscale" places there are too many Yuppies sitting there with their helmets on who even if they don't smell the smoke don't like to see someone enjoying themselves..

Jerry in Minnesota (where everything is illegal)

·
Registered
200 Posts
This stinks, Phil! Seemed like a nice place last time we were there.

I guess it's Bogeys next time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The parking lot of this place is almost always bare when I drive by, even last weekend, there were hardly any cars parked in front. They'll be out of business in 6 months because of mainly their bad location and this of course!

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
Well,

Here's what I say to the Cigar Nazis:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts