Cigar Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what causes a cigar not to draw properly when it's not plugged or tight. What I mean is, I had a cigar the other night (Cuban of course), and the pre-light draw seemed great. Definately not tight or plugged. Well the cigar did not produce much smoke at all. Seemes like it had to have an airleak somewhere, but the wrapper looked fine. Just wondering if anyone else has encountered this. I've had it happen a dozen or so times over the years. Very annoying. :c
I also had a box of Punch Churchills recently with the code HTM ABR04, over half the box were plugged. They all had a tight spot in the binder around the band. This is the first time recently I've had a box that bad. The draw machines and better quality control on the 03's and 04's have been very evident. The vendor did do something for me, but I thought maybe this info might help someone else looking to buy some of these. What really sucks is the wrappers were gorgeous and the ones that did draw, were some of the best tasting Punch C-Hills I've had.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Wish I could help Fed. I've only had one cigar do that to me.....had a pre light draw, lit fine....then nothing. Couldn't draw any smoke threw it. So I tossed it and grabbed another. Don't know why....but I was pretty pissed.

·
Pickin a Winner!
1,193 Posts
The only time I have had this happen was when there was an air channel between binder and wrapper that was messing with the draw. Air would come through, but you couldn't get a good draw of smoke. It was a sloppy cut perhaps, but the cigar was alot older. I thought it was due to the drying of the leaves in odd ways leaving the gap. I get one of those now and again.
Hate to tell you, but last time I had it happen it was a Punch Churchill, hehe.
But a 98.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Can't answer your question, but happy birthday, Fredster!

Fredster said:
Does anyone know what causes a cigar not to draw properly when it's not plugged or tight. What I mean is, I had a cigar the other night (Cuban of course), and the pre-light draw seemed great. Definately not tight or plugged. Well the cigar did not produce much smoke at all. Seemes like it had to have an airleak somewhere, but the wrapper looked fine. Just wondering if anyone else has encountered this. I've had it happen a dozen or so times over the years. Very annoying. :c
I also had a box of Punch Churchills recently with the code HTM ABR04, over half the box were plugged. They all had a tight spot in the binder around the band. This is the first time recently I've had a box that bad. The draw machines and better quality control on the 03's and 04's have been very evident. The vendor did do something for me, but I thought maybe this info might help someone else looking to buy some of these. What really sucks is the wrappers were gorgeous and the ones that did draw, were some of the best tasting Punch C-Hills I've had.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
magno said:
Can't answer your question, but happy birthday, Fredster!
Thanks. Gonna have to smoke something special tonight. :al :w

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Whether or not it is visual, there is usually some type of void of tobacco somewhere in the cigar. The void provides a passage way for less restrictive air flow. This causes air flow over a smaller percentage of the burning tobacco... resulting in less smoke. Sometimes it might be beneficial to cut a off a portion of the foot to get past the loosely filled area.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Brandon said:
Whether or not it is visual, there is usually some type of void of tobacco somewhere in the cigar. The void provides a passage way for less restrictive air flow. This causes air flow over a smaller percentage of the burning tobacco... resulting in less smoke. Sometimes it might be beneficial to cut a off a portion of the foot to get past the loosely filled area.
Makes sense.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
On Lonely Smoker, Brandon,

I think you're both on. I've seen things like this happen.
In my experience, I almost always find a micro tear in the wrapper that's allowing an air leak into the cigar thereby affecting the burning.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To me if you don't get good smoke production, the flavor does not come through as well.

·
Enjoying life...
4,742 Posts
I've seen a tool in a few of the mags that is supposed to fix draw problems. It looks like a giant needle with a guide to hold the cigar in place. Anyone use or have one of these? I think they run about $20.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I recently had a couple of cigars that had a tight draw. in both cases I was able to get through this by (this will sound stupid i know) squeezing just below the cherri breaking up the crust a bit and allowing some more air in to the right places. I have also had just plain old plugged period. :confused:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.