Cigar Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I smoked this cigar that I bought from the local tobacconist and it was awful. It was one of those "we roll these here" jobs, a churchill, and the owner recommended it to me as a good beginner's cigar because it was mild. Mild was an understatement. It tasted like nothing. But that wasn't the problem. The cigar was very dry, and burned unevenly at first, and then the wrapper came off because it was so dry and brittle. After that the filler was burning much faster than the stuff on the outside (binding?) and then about 1/4 of the way through the smoke the end started getting really big and when I would draw I'd get almost nothing, and the draw became really hard.

So the question is, when I go back there tomorrow and he asks me what I thought of his cigar, what do I tell him? I don't want to be like "Your cigar sucked man" but I also want him to know I didn't like it so maybe he can recommend another one (or say, I'm sorry you had a bad experience with my cigar. Here's another on for you to try on the house :D I'd be willing to give it a second chance). So what should I tell the guy?

Or perhaps it was "operator error?" I'm new to cigars so maybe I could have done something to help some of this?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would tell him it sucked...but that's just how I am. :pu

Actually you should just tell him what you posted here:

The cigar was very dry, and burned unevenly at first, and then the wrapper came off because it was so dry and brittle. After that the filler was burning much faster than the stuff on the outside (binding?) and then about 1/4 of the way through the smoke the end started getting really big and when I would draw I'd get almost nothing, and the draw became really hard.

I would think he'd take care of the situation.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Tell him exactly what you just told us. This way he will know what you like in a cigar and what you don't like, and will therefore be able to better serve you. Whatever you do don't just tell him it sucked, not only will it possibly make him angry but it is also unconstructive. He won't know anymore about your tastes than he did when he first suggested that cigar to you. All Criticism(sp) sucks on one level or another, but constructive criticism is invaluble. :w

·
Registered
949 Posts
I agree with Treyjo.

I started getting advice from the shop owners and I still talk with the shop owners in my area. I let them know what I like an don't. I have had a shop owner recommend cigars that I absolutely don't like. I told him it did not fit my taste profile right now. Then explain why i didn't like it. I also explained that i wold like a cigar that was more like a certain flavor. yada yada yada. You know what I ama saying.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Having had a bad smoke in the past and having informed the vendor about it, I have never had anyone do anything but replace the stick with thanks. The key is in being diplomatic. Most reputable dealers appreciate constructive criticism,...they want your continued business. Any merchant that gives me a hard time about an inferior product wont see me again. Frank B

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool thanks guys. I'll be going in a few minutes and I'll just tell him what I told you guys. And yeah this is probably a place I'll be going to fairly often, because it's only 2 blocks from my apartment.

·
Test Subject
2,651 Posts
Cyclops, I bought a whole box of duds that burned like that, so consider yourself somewhat lucky...

Jerry in Minnesota.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.