Cigar Forums banner

B&M v. Internet

3K views 52 replies 44 participants last post by  Dizzy 
#1 ·
I'm sure this has been brought up. I was wondering who buys from exclusively b&m's. I'm one of them that is lucky enough to get prices that are competitive with the web and I support many local b&m's. Furthermore; what makes you make this choice?

#3 ·
Being that most B&Ms price gouge something fierce here I refuse to support them but this is a US based forum & things are different for you guys. I can say no more in reality as B&Ms are scarce on the ground here.

As to what Charlie is saying on the situation you have in the US, I would buy often from the B&Ms if they offered me a lounge, reasonable prices & the knowledge to go with it when buying Non Cuban cigars. I envy what you all have there as far as the Nc's go.

#4 ·
Living in Utah the tax situation with any tobacco product is ridiculous, as I stated in one of the threads over in the New Puffer forum it's something like 85% before it even hits shelves. So I limit my purchasing from B&Ms to singles only, while I like to support the local guys I do also have to make sure I don't overspend to the point I can't take care of myself. So anything beyond a handful of singles I go to online retailers for.

The selection also tends to be better online than in the B&Ms I've looked into here in the SLC.

#5 ·
I'm new to the game and haven't been to many B&Ms but I like the fact that I can walk around in the humidor and hand pick my singles. I'm still finding what I like so being able to buy singles is important to me and I don't mind paying the extra for that. On the other hand, I can get boxes of my favorites online for about 25% less than my local shop, and that's shipped. Of course I haven't purchased a box from anywhere yet so its possible that the B&M would make a deal if I haggled, I'm just going off their stickered prices. In any case I can't see myself ever going to strictly online purchasing of smokes.

#7 ·
I'm pretty new to this hobby and I find going to my local B&M's a little bit intimidating for now so I stick to online sellers.
My reasoning is just the opposite. I'm a newb too but I prefer to walk into a B&M and talk to a knowledgeable clerk to get suggestions about what to try next. The number of brands and varieties is simply staggering, so I'd have no clue what to buy if I were just browsing online.

Now if I ever find that one cigar that is my absolute favorite (and in my budget) I'd probably be inclined to buy boxes online to save money, unless my B&M could give me a relatively comparable deal.

#8 ·
Big purchases I do online. I'll buy two or three sticks at some B&M's in a month or so because there are some good shops around here, but the NY state taxes are outrageous.

My local shop's owner is a really nice guy and very helpful, so I make sure to patronize his place.

#9 ·
There are no "real" B&M's here...just a few liquor stores with humidors in the back. One has a decent selection and good storage conditions, the rest I've been to don't have much selection and questionable storage.

When I travel, if I find a B&M with a good selection and decent prices, I almost always pick up a stick or two. Other than that, virtually everything I buy is online.

#13 ·
Like many others I buy singles at local B&Ms. I have only made 3 box purchases locally. The "online purchases" I make are usually from B&Ms that have web sites. I place a lot of phone orders with these different shops around the US (some don't have online shopping carts). Taxes here suck and I'm still supporting the smaller shops, most are just in another state. I have about half a dozen or so B&Ms that I call and order from. They're all cool people and have even included hitchhikers and swag.

#15 ·
99% of my cigars are purchased online. Some from online retailers and some from B&M's with online presences. I discover singles pretty much here on puff and then buy online. The B&Ms near me have ridiculously high prices. There is no reason to throw my money away..

The B&Ms I buy from online appear to have pretty decent pricing.

#16 ·
I have bought most online or while on vacation. In Canada the Taxes are insane.. though I have bought a few sticks from B&M and some accessories. Try to support when I can

#17 ·
I go through phases. I'll go on a Cuban cigar bender that will last for years, where they're all I have any interest in smoking. Then, I'll hit a phase where I perhaps crave something stronger and more diversity, so I go through a mostly non-Cuban period. Since I can't get the former at my B&M, I'm forced to the interwebs. For sourcing the latter, it's a mix. I will try several examples of a new stick in which I'm interested. If I "fall in love", I order bulk online.

#18 ·
I can buy Padron and Fuente at msrp at my B&M, so that is primarily what I buy there. I fill in Oliva and some other marcas that I run short of and don't want to wait for. However, most of my humi's are filled with "Online Cigars".

#20 ·
There are no hard and fast rules when it comes to where you buy as has already been talked about. Some areas are conducive to being able to buy at B&M's...like Philly or Florida and other areas. When I visit a B&M I always buy a cigar or 2 or 3 and that is how I support them and if they have good deals on cigar then I buy there. I buy mostly from the Internet because I have made my own relationships with them and get some pretty good deals as well as using the auction sites. In this economy we're going try and get the best deals we can...where we can.

#21 ·
I like to go into the B&M to look around and buy a new single from time to time. Plus I really think that if you have a decent B&M you should show support. Reason being I fear the day that we don't have any locals to go talk shop with and just share info. (obviously we have this site, but I hope you get my point)

Plus my local B&M will give a great discount on boxes and large purchases. I can't beat that online.

What I really enjoy is going to B&M's in the different cities that I travel to. That's like seeing Royce Gracie in the airport for me!. (which I did by BTW but that's another story) Plus some have accounts that others don't have.

I found a shop years ago in a town and actually struck up a decent relationship with them. The owner had a Fuente account that he had enjoyed for many years. In fact one day I went in and he was actually on the phone with Carlos. He was able to get Fuente stuff that was almost impossible for most. Plus he would ship to me. Was a really nice guy.

But not every B&M has everything. So I wear out this new interweb thing too. (it's fad, it won't last) ;)

I guess my advice to everyone would be to buy cigars from everyone you can. Let's keep every seller in business!

#23 ·
There is a wonderfully stocked B&M nearby, yet I buy only a handful of smokes from them. I really would like to support his business more. The taxes here in The Soviet Union...er, I mean Kalifornia make it prohibitive for all but the wealthy to stock up at a B&M. Therefore, 90% or more of my business goes out of state.

When will politicians ever learn?

#25 ·
I like to support the B&M go to events and things like that ...its not just about store you can meet others in the same hobby and stuff like that ...prices for the most part will be better online but if you dont shop the B&M there wont be any....so use both mix and match and develop the relationships online and off

#26 ·
Like Warren ,the UK, and in particular Scotland, has a real dearth of B&M's and the ones that are available have very prices, in particular for NC's due to high taxes. Therefore I am more likely to buy from the internet.

If I had the option that some of you guys do I would defo use a B&M, even more if the had a lounge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.