Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
toe
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, not wanting to lose momentum after the first two AVO Robustos, I decided to try another last night around 6.
I grabbed a Sam Adams, the Domaine 10, and the new issue of Golf Magazine, and headed for the porch.
It had looked pretty sunny all day, so I tried to will it to be warm out by wearing flip-flops. This attempt of course failed miserably.

Lit up and noticed all the things I've come to expect from an AVO - easy to light, perfect draw, nice burn. At first very very similar to the XO Intermezzo, but soon I started to notice some differences. It had a similar spiciness, but was a bit stronger, and not as sweet. Over the course of the first third or so, I had decided I definitely didn't like it quite as much as the XO. However, after that, I started to like it better and better. The flavor became stronger, but more pleasant. This was a slight surprise - the other AVOs I've tried did change a bit from start to finish, but I liked them just as much at one end as at the other. Anyhow, by midway through, I was loving this cigar. I smoked it to the very end, even though it was getting colder with the sun going down.

I have to say, I'm almost disappointed - I was expecting to just determine my favorite of the AVO lines and then buy a box. Looks like a may end up with a few boxes ;)

·
toe
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
paperfireman said:
I want to try an AVO or a couple. Do you have a fav or ones i have to try. I like the Mild-Medium bodied cigars. Also what kind of textures do they have? Thanks for any help.
I've tried the Robusto size from each of the 5 lines (see my other reviews). Of those I wasn't too impressed with the Natural or Signature, so since then I've tried a few other sizes in the other three lines. I haven't been too impressed with a couple of very long ones.

My favorites so far:
AVO Domaine #10
AVO Maduro #2
AVO XO Notturno

For mild-medium, I would suggest starting with the XO line.

My quick summary is:

Natural - mild, not too interesting
Maduro - sweet & tasty
XO - spicy, a little sweet
Domaine - spicy, medium-full
Signature - blah

·
Registered
506 Posts
well i've never tried an AVO before, they've just been soo pricey, but after all this i'm just gonna have ot bite the bullet and buy a couple and hopefully enjoy the hell out of em:)

·
toe
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bigALemos said:
well i've never tried an AVO before, they've just been soo pricey, but after all this i'm just gonna have ot bite the bullet and buy a couple and hopefully enjoy the hell out of em:)
Signature series which I like the least is the most expensive.
All the others you should be able to find 4-5 for under $25, which isn't too bad. Just buy a few at once.
Take 5 sampler is a good way to sample all the lines - you can find it for $40 with an ashtray...

·
Registered
579 Posts
Get yourself a box of the Legacies. Apart from the 77, they are the best Avo I've yet smoked. Medium bodied and rich tasting. They run about 110 bucks for a box of 12.

mmblz said:
Well, not wanting to lose momentum after the first two AVO Robustos, I decided to try another last night around 6.
I grabbed a Sam Adams, the Domaine 10, and the new issue of Golf Magazine, and headed for the porch.
It had looked pretty sunny all day, so I tried to will it to be warm out by wearing flip-flops. This attempt of course failed miserably.

Lit up and noticed all the things I've come to expect from an AVO - easy to light, perfect draw, nice burn. At first very very similar to the XO Intermezzo, but soon I started to notice some differences. It had a similar spiciness, but was a bit stronger, and not as sweet. Over the course of the first third or so, I had decided I definitely didn't like it quite as much as the XO. However, after that, I started to like it better and better. The flavor became stronger, but more pleasant. This was a slight surprise - the other AVOs I've tried did change a bit from start to finish, but I liked them just as much at one end as at the other. Anyhow, by midway through, I was loving this cigar. I smoked it to the very end, even though it was getting colder with the sun going down.

I have to say, I'm almost disappointed - I was expecting to just determine my favorite of the AVO lines and then buy a box. Looks like a may end up with a few boxes ;)

·
Registered
792 Posts
magno said:
Get yourself a box of the Legacies. Apart from the 77, they are the best Avo I've yet smoked. Medium bodied and rich tasting. They run about 110 bucks for a box of 12.
These are simply DIVINE!!!!!!!!! I have 2 boxes aging in my humi for the past 9 months - one of the boxes is already halfway through. My big bro(pinokio) is not too fond of dominicans however he loves the legacy.

What can I say. I´m going to try out a signature on my lunch hour today, lets see if AVO´s winning streak will last.

I still stay firm on my opinion that AVO has to be my utmost favourite cigar up to date - then again - I´m still very fresh.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Thanks for the ideas on new smokes to try. You obviously have no axe to grind with respect to C vs NC. That's a neat viewpoint to be able to espouse. I will definitely be trying one or two of the NC's mentioned positively here.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I had an AVO Signature last night.... not what I was expecting from the AVO range. Not an ALL bad cigar. Burn was even all the way through, draw was great but the overall taste of the cigar didn´t tickle my fancy much. I might light up a 10 in and hour or so. I´ll keep in touch . I still say... My Domaine XO 20´s (figurados) Top them all, together with the legacy and notturno.

Avo all the way...

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I went to the local upscale b&m over the lunch hour and picked up a few AVO domaine 20's and a couple of their mondo robusto/canons? (52 RG) AVO LE05's, a limited edition cigar. The nice lady who ran the humi was fairly crazy about putting a couple of these in my hands. I guess I'll fire one up later and report in. :)

·
toe
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Of all of them, I would try a Domaine and an XO (though I haven't had any of the LE's, etc).

bully is getting pretty big - 45 lbs or so now. There's a somewhat recent picture in the misc gallery but he's grown since then, might have to take another soon...

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Smoked my second AVO Domaine 20 last night. The wrappers on these are fine like a good ISOM wrapper. Sparked it up and gotta say this one disappointed. The wrapper came apart in my hands as I smoked it. The first one I tried wasn't bad although it too burned and drew a little too hot (bane of most dominicans I've had). At least the wrapper stayed put. The ultimate test was when I went back in the house and my oldest son said my breath smelled like crap. Usually he's not bothered by my breath so I know this cigar was a little on the nasty side taste-wise. First one I smoked was passable, second was dreck. I've got one more to try and break the tie.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Thanks for dredging up this thread. I'm on a bit of an AVO kick lately. Really liked the Domaine. Just picked up a couple of XO's. Saw the recommendation about letting the XO's rest for 8 months or so. Don't think I can wait that long.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.