Cigar Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my father passed away last night, at the ripe age of 87, I'll be off the air for a while. smoked a mid 80's MC4 today while trying to prepare and gather my thoughts. this was the first cigar he bought me - that was when he first found out I liked cigars and asked me what I wanted, I said anything Cuban! and he picked me up a box of MC4 from Zurich airport,, that was late 80's.

he was a true lover of the leaf and smoked the pipe for as long as I remember, he once told me he started smoking cigarettes when he was 14, and when he was 26, he got a big promotion and therefore changed to pipe smoking in order to look older! I still remember the aroma of the room when he was mixing his tobaccos in.

in the last 4 years despite the doctors banning him from smoking - he still sneaked one or two a day without my mom knowing ;) actually, the first defiance of smoking ban that I remember was when he was 60, that's almost 30 yrs ago - wow, I feel old now,, I was taking him back to the hotel room after his check-up at the Yale University hospital in New Haven,, the doctor told him that the tests showed a previous heart attack - that he was now officially a heart patient! and due to this condition the doctor gave him a long list of things to avoid, the works - smoking, drinking, fatty foods and so on,, on the way back I noticed he was contemplating, sort of deep in thought, and did not light up his pipe as usual,, I thought to myself: it seems like the doctor has put the fear of God into his heart! It seems like he's gonna be rehabilitated!

once we got to the hotel room, he said: read me that list again (i.e., the doctor had given us a print out of things to avoid), when I finished reading it, he said: it seems the only thing I am allowed to have is milk! Well, if this is life, I'd rather be dead! pour us a glass of whisky! so I did, and he started filling up his pipe with a smile! well, he managed to defy all odds and lived a long happy 87 years - with no regrets,, kept his marbles to the very end, was an avid reader and loved his children above all,, he slept into coma less than 24 hrs before he was gone. God bless his soul, and next good cigar you light up, well say a little something under your breath for a true lover of the leaf!

·
-
11,412 Posts
esp, we're thinking alike. i brought a few good cuban cigars with me just in case my dad passed away while i was down here. i had to have one on the way down, a juan lopez sel. #2. i also brought a nice monte 3 and psd4. was hoping to one day share a cuban with him, but it doesn't look like i will.

my dad smoked 3 packs a day for as long as i can remember, but he's only 61. i showed up a few years back with a pipe and some tobacco, and my dad went in the basement and found a cheap-ass broken bit pipe that he hadn't smoke since the late 60's i bet. he cleaned it up real quick, and i gave him some tobacco, and we both sat there, across from our wives (both named barbara), and smoked our pipes. he told me of his old german grandpa who use to smoke a big calabash, and without having any teeth, it would bounce up and down as he walked or rode the tractor....

i had since bought him some decent cheaper pipes (nice sandblasted, deerhorn stemmed, stanwell - a rusticated stanwell that was straight, forgot the style name). and, of course, kept him full of tobacco from the shop in KC that i got mine from.

good memories, hope you remember them all, esp.

·
Registered
718 Posts
ESP,
Sorry to hear of your loss, but glad to know that your dad managed to live a full life. My own father died before I took up cigars, so never had a chance to share the pleasure of smoking with him.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Real sorry to hear about your Dad ESP. I wish my Dad would smoke a stick with me. But he has long given up smoking anything.

When I light up tonight I will do say alittle something to honor your Dad

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Sorry to read about your father passing away ESP. I'll be smoking a mid 80s Monte 4 this afternoon in his memory. You'll be in my thoughts as you say goodbye to your father. I lost mine almost ten years ago, and trust me, it's a rare day when I don't think about him.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
ESP

I am truly sorry to hear of your loss. You have reminded me of the times I've spend with my Father in Law. We were drinking buddies and best of friends and because I was blessed to have a similar relationship, I can share somewhat in your loss.

I want to encourage you to know that in a way your father will never leave you. He will have a way of showing up every time you fire up a Monte 4.

Know that my prayers are with you as will be my thoughts every time I fire up a Monte 4.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
So very sorry to hear your loss.
I just had the pleasure of smoking a cigar with my dad for the first time... your stories make me treasure that so much more.

Thank you for sharing your memories - thoughts and prayers for you and your family tonight.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts