Cigar Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was all set to have a HUGE cigar golf outing this past LONG weekend....and it all went to crap.
Packed my 15 count cigar caddy for carry on, lighters in a tranzpack checked in baggage as well as the cutter.
All went smooth as silk. Lighters and cutter made it from Dulles to Sky Harbor Airports...and back home I might add.
Woke up Friday morning to arrive @ Boulders South course, and get ready on the first tee box to cut my cigar when I notice a sign hanging in the golf cart.
"No Smoking while on course due to extreme fire danger"
WOW. Disappointed to say the least, but I truly respect nature, especially the desert and the cactus' which are hundreds or thousands of years old.

So I decide to wait until the afternoon round @ Raven South mountain. No warning, but it's about 115 degrees with no shade in site. Waaaay to hot to smoke. Heck we had a hard enough time staying hydrated.

[email protected] Boulders and Troon North, same warning for smoking. No go
Sunday @ Grayhawk for both courses, same warning.

Monday @ We-Ko-Pa, don't remember a warning but at this point I had assumed so and did not bring them.

So I smoked NO cigars the entire week and weekend. Bummed.

At least Monday when I play a round after a wedding I will smoke 2 to make up for lost times.

The golf was fantastic. Hit some of the best courses in Arizona. We were so exhausted after playing 36 holes per day in 1006+ degree heat that smoking a cigar was out of the question. We simply had dinner, downed a lot of water/beer, and passed out....only to wake up 7 hours later to do it all over again.
Truth be told it was too hot to smoke in the afternoon rounds anyways. Only from 8am-10am could I even think about a cigar.

Anyone else ever ran into this problem at a golf course?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Surprisingly because of the heat I wasn't very sore at all. As soon as you got on the practice range and hit a few balls in the sun your nmuscles were warmed up.
My feet looked like a war zone however. 36 holes per day in golf shoes is not easy.
By the end of the trip I had 6 blisters. Bought a different pair of socks and that seemed to help out a lot.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Sounds like a great trip! You sure did hit some nice courses there! :tu

·
Registered
421 Posts
I make frequent trips to AZ (family there), and I can at leat kindof see where they are coming from. I am not saying you would be careless, but if some guy flicks a cigarette in the wrong place, things could go up in flames pretty quickly (since its so dry). The main thing that bothers me there is that they have no smoking allowed outside most of their "malls", there will be a bunch of shops in one area, and no smoking signs on the benches outside. However, this time of year - as you mentioned - it is way too hot to smoke most of the time.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sounds like a blast! About a dozen of us go to Green Valley (south of Tucson) every year for a week of golf and cigar smokin' when the summer rates kick in. No problem with fire danger in late May/early June. Arizona golf is fantastic!! You played some great courses.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like a blast! About a dozen of us go to Green Valley (south of Tucson) every year for a week of golf and cigar smokin' when the summer rates kick in. No problem with fire danger in late May/early June. Arizona golf is fantastic!! You played some great courses.
Yeah it was a good time, and we did hit the best courses in the state.
Summer rates rock for Arizona Golf. All merchandise was 30-70% off as well b/c they want to order new stuff for the next peak season.
I played We-Ko-Pa in April during peak season and those rates are crazy but the course was immaculate.

·
Registered
21,652 Posts
Good part was you got some good golf in there.

As for the cigars, you probably wouldnt have enjoyed them anyway in that heat...man thats freakin hot to be golfing in.

Sounds like you went to some nice courses there.

·
Test Subject
2,651 Posts
should have came to Minnesota,, you could have floated on a inner tube on our golf course and had all the stogies you could handle.

Jerry (flooded) in Minnesota.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.