Cigar Forums banner

Would you like an area for controversial issues?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Enjoying life...
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you guys like to have an area created for more controversial things such as politics or other debatable things? I was on another message board and they have an area called "Take It Outside". I think the name explains it all. I'm sure everyone has their opinions on Bush, the war, etc. and might like to discuss(argue). :)

On the other hand, maybe it would be too distracting to have something like this here. I'm not one of the powers that be so its not my call, but its something to discuss.

Jeff

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
One thing that's nice about this site is that we tend to leave our baggage at the door, or at least most of us don't get all riled when someone expresses an opinion that we disagree with. Even when we get on each other's nerves, or ruffle someone's feathers, we tend to be able to resolve the situation with a pm or two.
Now, sometimes I ask myself what seems to make us different than some other boards I've seen on the net? I think it is a sense of community & almost family that you find on this board. The people here actually care about each other. Some of us probably don't like some of us all that well, but they find tolerance in their heart because everyone's part of the family. I guess, what I'm saying is we put up with a little debate & argument just about anywhere a person wants to do it, as long as it doesn't get out of hand. Thank God we only elect a President every 4 years! ;)
Anyway, I voted no.
Sorry.

·
Banned
6,267 Posts
I'm also against this as I think it could create many problems and generally lead away from the fun hangout that has been created at CS.

Another site I belong to has a "Mature Audiences" forum and I think it totally brings down the site and makes it seem kinda trashy.

Now I know my name is Lascivious but I say if I want to see that kind of stuff I'll go to a XXX site, not a cigar board. I like CS how it is.

I vote NO

·
Enjoying life...
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've thought about this a bit more tonight and discussed it with my wife. She dosn't think its a good idea and the site is excellent without it. Her words, "What do you want to put that in there for?" LasciviousXXX, you're correct, it will only end up bleeding into the rest of the site. I do really like this site because everyone is here for one reason, and its something we all share in common: Cigars. I'll be the first to admit when I've barked up the wrong tree.

Jeff

·
-
11,412 Posts
slowhand said:
It can only lead to hurt feelings and will eventually leak out to the rest of the site. I vote no.
i agree 2,000,000%!

if nobody can tell, i'm gonna vote no. we had enough "fun" during the election process. it would suck to be at odds with some of the great guys on here over two equally inadequate politicians.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I know another board I use to go to and they had it, It definately spills over to the rest of the board and you can actually see alliances built. This board is perfactly casual and friendly. Lets not add something that can easily damage the light nature of this fine jungle.

·
HOT for HILLARY!!
3,591 Posts
God I love politics and arguing and being right...but there are plenty of boards out there specifically for that. It would be interesting to see others views on issues, but its not worth the risk of a civil war in cigar land. But I do love to argue.

·
Skeeter's Confidant
7,197 Posts
I said yes,but after reading the thread I say no. Great points by all.

Don't fix things that aren't broke. This is a great site with great people and the most fun I've had on the net,and I've been online since 96.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I have to agree with the majority on this one. Club Stogie is for cigars. Sure we stray a bit, but let's not go looking for reasons to argue.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
I pretty much agrees wit all'a yas!!

Any problems, talk to my friend Tommy (as in machine gun).

·
Registered
978 Posts
There have been plenty of times i've wanted to "mix it up" with some folks here because of some post. Whether it was politics, religion, or just some crass and inappropriate comment.

But ya know, i don't. I just let it pass. I would be pleased to offer every one of you a cigar if you happened to drop by. There is enough divisiveness in the world. Here at CS, even if it is cyber-space, it's nice to find common ground. So that would be a no.

Smoke on brothers and sisters.

_____
rm

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
Sometimes I think I am the King of the crass & inappropriate comment. I always realize this in hindsight of course.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Although I believe in a sharing opposing opinions and relish a debate, I would have to say "No". The last political thread was good but it was on the edge of a flame war. It was the good sense of the ppl here that kept that way.

Unfortunately, when it comes to politics, most ppl tend to get off issue too much and their point is buried in a string of defense and offense text. I try to keep an open mind but it is hard when a post is an accusation without any backing.

So, where I like the idea, having a seperate forum has more negatives than positives. ...the moderators here do a good job of keeping the crab slinging down when the occasional "political" thread is posted.

My vote "no"

·
Registered
154 Posts
This is one site I can feel confident that is devoted to CIGARS. The other boards I hang out at sometimes get taken over by the politics, etc. I vote no. If it aint broke, don't fix it. :al

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.