Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always wondered how the whole Cuban Cigar trade world rotates. If we buy a Cuban cigar is it money going directly into Castro's pockets and in turn funding his armies?

I did a brief Google search but was unsuccesful.

·
Funky Monkey
1,067 Posts
I think so. Maybe not directly as the vendors have to make some profit, but, since in cuba everything has to pass through goverment so then it can be distributed "evenly", I guess we DO are funding Fidel. No problem for me as long as they keep the habanos coming and as good as always :D

·
Registered
882 Posts
Cant be that much. I mean as much as some of the guys here spend on cigars from the Island then it shouldn't be a third world country. But then again I could be wrong and he pocketing the money and sending to his US bank accounts :D

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
By "we", are you saying USA? Yep, if you want to look at it that way, we are funding Castro, and his "Army". Not much of an army though... I don't think it makes much difference, as Cuba will sell all of it's tobacco crop, regardless of wether Americans buy or not. Go into any overseas cigar store and you will see 75%-90% cuban cigars. As far as the rest of the cuban economy, the embargo, and world markets, have had a devastating effect.

·
An ass, not a fish
4,476 Posts
The US is indirectly funding Torano, the Padrons and Fuente. If Cubans were available to US smokers, do you think there will be as much excitement over those smokes? I guarantee you Don Carlos and Hemmingway won't sell for close to $200 a box if you can get Mag46, PSD4, or any of the other great Cuban smokes for the same price.

Castro? I'm more concerned about the Red Chinese....they have nukes, a chip on their shoulder, and they're psycho. Next time you buy something, take a look at the label. Do it daily for a week....then tell me that Red China isn't a threat. Castro is such small potatos that it blows my mind the US gives a rats a$$ about him....oh yeah....Cuban-American votes in Florida...I remember now why Castro is supposedly relevant....

Sean

·
Enjoying life...
4,742 Posts
SeanGar. Good point about the Peoples Republic. They are the ones with nukes and the largest standing Army in the world. Thank God they don't have an equivelant Navy yet, or else they could project their power anywhere.

I wonder what the prices of ISOMs will be after the embargo is lifted?

·
Registered
727 Posts
Jeff said:
I wonder what the prices of ISOMs will be after the embargo is lifted?
I dont know, but I bet it will be better than what we get now. My question though is what is going to happen with the company names? I mean, all the companies like RyJ and Cohiba stole the names of their cigars from their cuban counterparts. What will happen with that?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Both governments oppress the people. I realize that it would suck to have to think about some poor family in Cuba getting held down in part because of this cigar that I'm trying to enjoy while I relax in luxury but, it's kinda true. It's like beef. You should know where it comes from and how it's processed before eating it. If it is possible for people here to not buy Chinese goods it could help. I remember talking with someone that came back from there and said that they drove down this road that had nothing but factories on either side, bellowing smoke and packed with workers. That road went on for 50 miles. If China ever does decide to do something with all the money they have we are going to have to realize that we were the largest majority that gave it to them. As it is they are already beating out the US for purchasing steel and many other natural resources. When was the last time that has happened?

:sb

·
Registered
239 Posts
SeanGAR said:
Castro? I'm more concerned about the Red Chinese....they have nukes, a chip on their shoulder, and they're psycho. Next time you buy something, take a look at the label. Do it daily for a week....then tell me that Red China isn't a threat. Castro is such small potatos that it blows my mind the US gives a rats a$$ about him....oh yeah....Cuban-American votes in Florida...I remember now why Castro is supposedly relevant....

Sean
Amen brother, on the China/Cuba comparison.

A riddle:

What's the difference between an optimist and a pessimist?

An optimist learns to speak Arabic.

A pessimist learns to speak Chinese.

-Q

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Everyone needs to start paying attention to China. Why do you think raw building materials and fuel prices are high. China is buying any and everything they can get their hands on. China's infrastructure is growing 2 to 3 times faster than anyone's right now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yep, but why?
Cheap worforce with a good education and low taxes...yep!
They buy the recources because their industry longs for it!

And for Cuba....well, Castro is a dictator, certainly a murder and should definably be replaced by democracy (but pleace no war or assecination) but the money going there by your cubans-shopping is not used for surpressing his people (of course it sponsors his whole machinery) but the average cuban is not so bad off...they got a lower illiteracy (English spelling correct?) rate than the US or most European countries. Castro is a dictator but surely one which isn't as bad as a lot of other governments.

Wait a few years and the problem will solve itself and then you'll be ably to buy Cubans for as little as 1.65€ like here in Germany (if there isn't somebody else getting a grab on power.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I don't put much thought into it. Like someone else said..."Just keep the Havana's coming!"

·
Registered
904 Posts
FunkyPorcini said:
I have always wondered how the whole Cuban Cigar trade world rotates. If we buy a Cuban cigar is it money going directly into Castro's pockets and in turn funding his armies?

I did a brief Google search but was unsuccesful.
YES, He confiscated all the farms when he took over and the Gov owns and gets most of the revenue from them. Called Communism.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Does anybody know a good online source for me to read about how Cuba handles their cigar trade?

I feel like I need to make an educated decision.

·
Registered
579 Posts
It's good to see another Steely Dan fan around here.

For me, the Castro issue, is a real problem, as I've become more and more inclined towards letting my politics dictate my purchases (especially since Hollywood became so...er....vocal in the last 4 years). I could justify it by saying the embargo isn't really hurting Cuba; they are, afterall, trading with every other western nation( I don't really believe this and actually think trade with the US would be highly beneficial for them) but I have resigned myself to being a hypocritical selfish cigar nut, and have resolved not to argue with a leftist about Cuba while smoking a Cuban cigar.

FunkyPorcini said:
Does anybody know a good online source for me to read about how Cuba handles their cigar trade?

I feel like I need to make an educated decision.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
magno said:
but I have resigned myself to being a hypocritical selfish cigar nut, and have resolved not to argue with a leftist about Cuba while smoking a Cuban cigar.
I can relate and while I understand that if I was to let every belief I had dictate my purchases then I would spend most of my days trying to find goods that were not traced back to some sort of violation of those beliefs; I cannot do it.

I'll try to be happy smoking the domestics. Which, so far, has not been a problem.

Hope I didn't bumb anybody out.

Yours,

Deacon Blues

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
SeanGAR said:
I guarantee you Don Carlos and Hemmingway won't sell for close to $200 a box if you can get Mag46, PSD4, or any of the other great Cuban smokes for the same price.
Too late, you already can :D

·
An ass, not a fish
4,476 Posts
magno said:
It's good to see another Steely Dan fan around here.

I could justify it by saying the embargo isn't really hurting Cuba; they are, afterall, trading with every other western nation( I don't really believe this and actually think trade with the US would be highly beneficial for them)
Can't buy a thrill baby, those guys are fantastic.

US involvement goes beyond the blockade, spending many many millions of our tax dollars to manipulate the world price of sugar to screw Castro is another part.

I have Cubans, I don't care, Castro is a pimple on the US's ass, big whoop.

Red China invaded Tibet, brutally repressed the people, have no freedom of the press, threaten Taiwan daily, a true democracy - if we truly gave a sheat about democracy we'd back Taiwan 100% and say straight up attack Taiwan means you attack us, we'll use nukes if we have to). Idiot current policy is "we agree with one china policy", well Taiwanese do not, they are a democracy, don't they get a say? Red Chinese are freakin commies for pete sake and they're our most favored nation trading partners? Tienamen square ring a bell in DC? Remember what happened when one of our planes was attacked by some idiot Chinese pilot and then had to emergency land in China? Nice welcome they had for us, right?

I'm way more concerned about Chinese goods than the few Cubans I have.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.