Cigar Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
a candela cigar most certainly isnt gimmicky crap :p actually that wrapper was really popular back in the 50 in the US. Its fermented a little quicker then a regular wrapper and traps the cholorphil inside the cells. Amazingly they dont have a grassy taste at all, but more of a sweet taste to them. I actually like candelas every once and awhile, they are a really mild cigar so it shows the atributes of the fermenting process on the wrapper usually. Not just fuente makes them, but also punch, JR i think, and graycliff. There are more out there then ya know ;-)

....kjpman

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Cool, picked up a fuente candela and am waiting for my graycliffs to come in... Just had to try em, I must be a junkie....

·
Registered
291 Posts
roadie said:
Are they "mild and smooth," or just underaged gimmicky crap? I recently saw that Fuente is selling them too.
Shoot me a PM with your addy Roadie and I'll send you a few to try. They're not my cup 'o tea personally but I have a few sitting in my humi from bombs that will most likely never be smoked(a Don Thomas being the best outta the bunch) so you'll actually be doing me a favor :w

·
Registered
110 Posts
I once had a Fuente Candela while playing golf and I did think it was kind of grassy. That and the fact that I lost it on the green made it a funky smoke. I had another from CI that wasn't too bad but not my cup 'o tea either I guess.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I think for most, the candela is a good starter smoke since it tends to be mild. I had a couple, and while I like the look of them in my humi next to all of the darker maduros, I guess my taste has gone to the spicy and bold side. Sort of like how most people start out drinking white wine and then often end up preferring stronger reds after a few years.

I am curious as to what the aging process does to candela leaf....I remember seeing an ad in the Thompson's catalog that said AF found some bales of candela they had *forgotten* about for 18 years and now were producing some very rare candela smokes. Of course the Thompson's write-ups can probably make horse-sh*t sound mouthwatering! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
949 Posts
I think Candela's are like any other cigar. Some are good and some are not. I would be really suspicious of anything that Thompson's says. However a good name cigar is a good name cigar. I can't imagine Fuente making crappy cigars becuase it would ruin their reputation. Since Fuente doesn't sell seconds, I would not hesitate to try a Fuente Candela. They may not agree with your personal taste oe they may. Give them a try and let us know what you think.

·
Registered
290 Posts
My first cigar was a Don Tomas Candela, and it wasn't grassy at all, just mild and a little creamy. I have since moved on to stronger cigars, but I would always suggest a candela for a beginner.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.