Cigar Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a watch guy, but I really have no interest in the Iwatch. In general I like apple products, but this one has no interest to me. It will be interesting to see how the world reacts. I bet initially it will sell well, but after the fad wears off, so will the excitement. I just can't see wanting to charge a watch to use every day. It is bad enough we have to charge our phones every night, now our watches too? Not me.

·
Trust Me, I'm Not Lion
2,997 Posts
I'm excited for the memes to start pouring in.

That's about the only thing I enjoy that spawns from Apple.

I'm more of an open-source share-the-internet kinda guy. Proprietary charging plugs make me crazy when standardized USB exists.

·
LOB's Fourth HorseMouse
2,335 Posts
I am a watch guy, but I really have no interest in the Iwatch. In general I like apple products, but this one has no interest to me. It will be interesting to see how the world reacts. I bet initially it will sell well, but after the fad wears off, so will the excitement. I just can't see wanting to charge a watch to use every day. It is bad enough we have to charge our phones every night, now our watches too? Not me.
Brain: I bet that will be the trend, just look at the samsung watch... Sold like crazy, now they can't give it away...

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
I'm on the fence depending on price. I love playing with all new technology and it looks like it will have some cool uses. Battery life will be a major factor though! It needs to last at least 24 hours.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I am a gadget guy, but no longer a watch guy. After the market went to things that need batteries being the new normal, I opted out of the watch scene. As much as I love tech, I can not picture having a watch you have to take off every night to recharge. When I wore a watch, it was more like my skin than an accessory. My old self winder only came off my wrist for two surgeries (over a fifteen year period) and band replacements.

·
Smuggler and Wookie
276 Posts
Batteries are the bane of my existence, so a watch that needs to be charged every fecking day doesn't stand a snowball's chance in hell of making it onto my wrist.

Secondly, watches get bashed to bits in my world (or robbed at gun point), so I opt for cheapos of whatever kind, as long as it tells the time without maintenance and can take a kicking/water boarding (I have a limit of about 10 bucks) then I'll wear it.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
I will never wear a smart watch. Ever. I like mechanical watches, and even quartz watches, but I stop with internet watches or calculator type watches. If I need rot use it to find North when watch is dead, it needs hands. not a dead screen... Plus internet watches are just....wrong. We are already followed everywhere and down anything, but I won't advance their cause.

Sorry if I did a mini rant. Putting together the parts of my Tudor Heritage Black Bay in red.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I will never wear a smart watch. Ever. I like mechanical watches, and even quartz watches, but I stop with internet watches or calculator type watches. If I need rot use it to find North when watch is dead, it needs hands. not a dead screen... Plus internet watches are just....wrong. We are already followed everywhere and down anything, but I won't advance their cause.

Sorry if I did a mini rant. Putting together the parts of my Tudor Heritage Black Bay in red.
Batteries are the bane of my existence, so a watch that needs to be charged every fecking day doesn't stand a snowball's chance in hell of making it onto my wrist.

Secondly, watches get bashed to bits in my world (or robbed at gun point), so I opt for cheapos of whatever kind, as long as it tells the time without maintenance and can take a kicking/water boarding (I have a limit of about 10 bucks) then I'll wear it.
I already lack the eye site to use a smart phone (still using a flip), I know I do not have the eye site to handle a smart watch. I also love mechanical watches, I just hate how the world changed mechanical used to be cheap and digital expensive. Now mechanical is expensive and digital/battery driven is cheap.

The watch I had from age 12 till 35 was a clinton (brand not president) divers watch. After it passed, I tried several watches that needed batteries and tossed them in a drawer when the batteries died and never looked back (of course I had people who kept giving me watches until they got it.)

My flip phone has time, but I do keep an old pocket watch on me. I like the fact that it just works (needs winding, losing 5 minutes a week, but the batteries never die!! I just adjust it on Sundays.

·
Registered
540 Posts

Out of curiosity, what do you do by day to those poor watches?

·
Smuggler and Wookie
276 Posts
Out of curiosity, what do you do by day to those poor watches?
I wear them till they fall off my wrist. The bashing comes from rough physical work in rough hoods with rough company.
Sometimes a watch can last two years, sometimes a bit less. It depends on the jobs and locations. If they tell the time, don't mind a drink, and work in the dark, I'm happy. Sentimentality or style doesn't come into it.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I wear them till they fall off my wrist. The bashing comes from rough physical work in rough hoods with rough company.
Sometimes a watch can last two years, sometimes a bit less. It depends on the jobs and locations. If they tell the time, don't mind a drink, and work in the dark, I'm happy. Sentimentality or style doesn't come into it.
Had not thought about them falling off the wrist. (Normally the battery would die well before the watch band). I only ever had one watch that I would buy bands for about every five years or so, the old dive watch bands would only last for about that long before they became brittle and starting cracking.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
I wear a rugged quartz diver most of the time when working. The rubber strap will tear but can be replaced for about $25, and I keep an extra strap on hand for replacement because you never know what will stretch it or tear it. It's a daily beater that can take a beating and handle any water or caustic solutions in the short term. Luminox diver. Decent price too. I also can't read the dates any more without reading glasses. My newer watches for dress or going out have no date wheels.

What shall we have? An '82 Margaux! Is it any good? Good....?, It will make you believe in God!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.