Cigar Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the story on the Pinar line of smokes using purportedly pre-embargo Cuban tobacco? Anyone have anything good to say about these smokes? Bad?

thanks

·
Registered
978 Posts
Only thing i remember reading recently on this line was here on CS in this thread:
http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7217

If you run a Search>Pinar you will get a couple of pages of threads, but i did not read through them. However, it may have more information in there for you.

_____
rm

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
They did nothing for me. I could not taste any Cuban tobacco either. Usually this is pretty easy to pick out.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input, guys....

I was suspicious when I saw a local smokeshop promotiing them. He's generally known to have the most unkempt humidor in town. From what I've gathered, his reputation for mold problems have led to him losing product lines, and it would only make sense that he wouldbe pushing a new line of cigars so vigorously. His invenory is, otherwise, large but fairly generic. I was going to give him another chance should he really have something unique, but I guess I have no reason to stray from my favourite shops.

pds said:
They did nothing for me. I could not taste any Cuban tobacco either. Usually this is pretty easy to pick out.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Re: Thanks for the input, guys....

Hmmm...which shop? I was in the one on the downtown mall in C'ville in August. Limited selection, but the quality seemed fine. I think I picked up a handfull of LGCSR#4s and some Punch Champions.

magno said:
I was suspicious when I saw a local smokeshop promotiing them. He's generally known to have the most unkempt humidor in town.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Barracks Road Shopping Center...

...is the location for the shop I mentioned.
The guy downtown is cool and he keeps a clean place. I usually buy from Jack at Seminole. He's taken good care of me over the years and keeps a quality selection.

BayouDawg said:
Hmmm...which shop? I was in the one on the downtown mall in C'ville in August. Limited selection, but the quality seemed fine. I think I picked up a handfull of LGCSR#4s and some Punch Champions.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Good to know, should I find myself in C'ville again. I remember spending about an hour that afternoon looking for a place to have a drink, rather, a good dive to have drink in. Finally found a nice dark place, must have been the only one downtown. Hard to find a good dive there, it seems, plenty of used and rare bookstores though.

bd

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Charlottesville is strange...

We have a few dive bars: Millers & Dirty Nelly's come to mind (I wouldn't be caught dead in either) . Then we have the snooty places like blue light and Zocalo. I tend to just hang out at the Downtown Grille: Definitely upper end as far as this town is concerned, but it's unpretentious and extremely cigar friendly. Best steak in town, too.

Too many bookstores, if you ask me. Too many art galleries, too. .....Too many hippies, too many college kids....

Still wouldn't move unless you offered me a Villa in the Carribean.:)

BayouDawg said:
Good to know, should I find myself in C'ville again. I remember spending about an hour that afternoon looking for a place to have a drink, rather, a good dive to have drink in. Finally found a nice dark place, must have been the only one downtown. Hard to find a good dive there, it seems, plenty of used and rare bookstores though.

bd

·
Registered
207 Posts
Miller's, that's where I wound up. I hear you about college towns, I couldn't bring myself to leave Athens (although I was in C'ville interviewing for another job), but it could really use a good cigar shop and bar...maybe I'll hit the lottery and open one.

bd

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
magno said:
What's the story on the Pinar line of smokes using purportedly pre-embargo Cuban tobacco? Anyone have anything good to say about these smokes? Bad?

thanks
I bought a few of them years ago, more for the story than the smoke. Gave one to PDS and Edisonbird and a few other people. I smoked mine and wasn't impressed. They were Series B I think. Someone told me they can make the Cuban claim with as little as 5 or 10 percent Cuban tobacco, I would say these had 5% if that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.