Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone!!!!!

I was just sitting here with a poor example of a cigar from Thompsons. That I got as a freeby. It was a Domincan Republic Jose Girbes. Granted it was not unsmokable or even really that bad. It just wasn't nothing special. I started to think. I have never really had a cigar from DR that was remarkable. Am I missing out on the Good DR Cigars or am I seeing what other people already know. Remember I am a newby here. So I could be way off base.

·
HOT for HILLARY!!
3,591 Posts
Definitely some good stuff comes out of the DR, just not if it comes to you via Thompsons.

I cant think of any DR puros, but some great DR cigars are the Fuente Anejo, Opus X, and Ashton VSG. Super Premium cigars that use DR tobacco as filler and binder.

·
Bacon Lover
808 Posts
Its funny, but when I started smoking cigars Domincans were probably my least favorite - pretty much hated all Fuentes, etc..
Over time I've come to like a few Fuentes (Ashton VSGs, Opus, Anejos) and recently started liking the La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero Chisels (MADURO! - The naturals are ok too).

How many different DR cigars have you tried? If your pretty new to them I'd start with some of the above. Be careful though - all of the above are pretty full bodied! If your looking for something on the milder side try something like a hemmingway.

·
HOT for HILLARY!!
3,591 Posts
Scary....

I forgot about the La Flors...I guess thats what happens when you cant seem to find them. Good cigar though, and a really unique shape.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think the Fuente Don Carlos are one of the better lines of sticks out there, DR or not. The Anejo and Opus X are great but hard to find and spendy.....but worth it if you can get them at MSRP.

·
Registered
718 Posts
AAlmeter said:
I cant think of any DR puros, but some great DR cigars are the Fuente Anejo, Opus X
The Opus X is the only DR puro out there. The story behind the Opus X is the quest of Carlos Fuente for a DR tobacco plant that could make a viable wrapper leaf. No one believed a good wrapper could be produced in the DR. This I learned from the DVD that I got from pds' auction. Excellent video, by the way.

Somebody mentioned Padron. They're from Nicaragua.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Don't forget the Broadleaf wrapped Henry Clays! They're just plain good and a long-time favorite of a lot of smokers. I plan always to have a box on hand, though I have to admit not liking these the first time I tried them. Except for the wrapper, these are made only from Dominican tobacco. They're also reasonably priced.

Torano rolls the Signature series (another favorite), the Reserva Selecta and probably a number of others in the DR too.

El Credito makes El Rico Habano along with LGC.

Altadis makes a ton of cigars there: Montecristo, Partagas, Onyx, Bolivar, including the HCs and a bunch of others.

Davidoff, Special Blend/Hendrik Kelner bundles, Private Stock, I think Avo and the Occidental branded cigars are also made in DR.

Macanudo and Temple Hall are also made in the DR these days.

La Aurora and Leon Jimenez (sp?) are also made there. I think the Auroras are the oldest existing Dominican brand.

When you look at the cigars that come out of the DR, the range of strength and flavor is amazing. It's pretty easy to find sticks from the mild, easy going to the rich, strong and full-bodied.

There are plenty of good cigars from the DR; the trick is to find one that suits your tastes.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Hey, how are the dominican cohiba? Dog torpedos or good?

Anybody like Nat Shermans? my tobacconist has a bunch, they never seem to move...

Got a friend who loves Romeo y Julietas - dominican

Don't forget for beginners, there's always macanudos... :p

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.