Cigar Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone seen or use these?

HUMIDITY BEADS 70% Rh Cigar Humidor Accessory 8 oz BAGS - eBay (item 300287909261 end time Jan-25-09 16:32:54 PST)

The price is good ($28 for 2lbs) but are they?

I was thinking about going Heartfelt for my just-purchased Vintemp 28 but Man! $61 for a pound in their plastic case and $31 for a bulk pound... Well, I guess it's not that bad. But still if these ones on ebay are the same stuff???

I like the Heartfelt "case" but $30 for what is essentially a plastic box seems a bit much.

Anyone have any other storage ideas? I see some people simply use "dinner" plates on the bottom or mesh bags... I was hoping for something a bit ore astecially pleasing. The bags don't look half-bad I suppose.

ALSO: I see a lot of people here go 65%... If I buy 2lbs should I get half & half? My Vino is in the basement and it goes as low as 64 degrees in the winter and to about 70 in the summer. I run a de-humidifer in the basement to keep it from getting damp. My temp / hum in my 2 coolers is pretty good year round. I just don't want to regret a costly move to the Vino

· A Very Prickly Puffer
2,223 Posts
Check out the Humidification Beads FAQ in the Questions Accessories forum. It will answer some of your questions. I use the 65% beads and had the wife sew up some mesh bags. I am in the process of making some humidification pucks using empty Skoal cans. I am drilling around a hundred .070 holes in the bottom of the can, putting velcro on the top, and filling them with the beads. They hold more beads than standard pucks do.

· Registered
71 Posts
I took the plastic thingies that came in my humi and removed all the green florist foam, filled them with the heartfelt beads. Works perfectly! I also have taken some cigar tubes and punched a pile of holes in them, filled them with the beads. I have some small tubes, about the size of a pen that I get from work. They are clear plastic, I fill them and punch holes in them, keep one in my travel humi.

· Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, yes there's a ton of stuff to be found here, but no mention made of the beads from eBay I posted.

HUMIDITY BEADS 70% Rh Cigar Humidor Accessory 8 oz BAGS - eBay (item 300287909261 end time Jan-25-09 16:32:54 PST)

I was wondering if anyone has used them and I am also curious about how well the Heartfelt 1lb "case" works (pictured above)... it's a very good looking unit. Any Vinotempers ever use one?

· Granjero del océano
3,628 Posts
You need to be aware that there are many kinds of silica beads manufactured to varying specifications depending on their intended use. They are manufactured for everything from museum display cases to cat litter.

I'm not saying… but I took a look at the link you provided and the homemade packaging for those beads you are asking about has a cat on the label. Kinda reminds me of Top Cat, one of my favorite Sunday morning cartoons.

You'll find many of discussions concerning beads talk about the viability of using silca beads manufactured and marketed as kitty litter.

I just re-read the link you referred to and it states at the bottom:

These are 8 ounce bags of:
Generic Humidity Beads
(Crystal Clear Litter Pearls)​

Litter Pearls can be had for under $20 for 8 pounds, unconditioned.

Good luck with your research.

· Registered
2,706 Posts
I bought a 6 oz bag of beads for $1.99 free s&h on ebay. I talked to the seller and he's an extremely friendly & trust worthy guy, he's sold over 2,700 packs of beads and has only refunded for two people for unknown reasons. But the beads work perfect, took a couple of days but finally my humi is up to 70.

Gel Humidifier, Cigar Humidor, for do it yourselfer - eBay (item 190275190771 end time Jan-18-09 12:24:01 PST)

You might talk to him if you want to buy by the pound, I'm sure he'd make you a deal. And if you aren't satisfied he has no problem with refunding you your money.

Hope I was of some help :smile:

· Granjero del océano
3,628 Posts

· Managing the UnManageable
598 Posts
It is interesting to hear the success stories for the litter beads.
This is interesting.
I feel an experiment, or two, in the air
:)
Tom

· Registered
718 Posts
I have several beads. The ones from Heartfelt work the least well.

I have beads from Cigarmony and they work far better than the Heartfelt ones.

For the money, after reading another thread about the cat litter beads, I tried them and they are just as good as any other beads I have used. Nearly on par with Cigarmony and better then Heartfelt. Just make sure you get the pure silica and they have no fragrance or other additives.

· Danthony's daddy
2,216 Posts
I use the HF beads and they work well for me. I know a majority of people on forums use the same beads with no problems. I have heard both good and bad about the cat litter crystals. Just ask yourself, is it worth saving 30-40 bucks and run the chance of ruining cigars?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.