Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Enjoying life...
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how many of us are college students and where do you attend? How do cigars fit in with your studies?

Sometimes its hard to make time to enjoy a cigar, but they help me blow off steam.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I go to the University of Nevada, Reno. It's not my cigar smoking time that school cuts into as much as my cigar smoking funds that go to tuition and books.

I make it a point to smoke something good after I have taken a big exam. It's my little reward and motivation to study. I have also taken books out to the garage to study where I can smoke a cigar while reading.

·
HOT for HILLARY!!
3,591 Posts
Civil Engineering at Pitt (Penn State sucks by the way)

I smoke and study at the same time. Helps to ease the pain of calculations.

Tonight I had a Diamond Crown Maximus Churchill while doing some truss analysis. Can't beat that!

·
-
11,412 Posts
i take online classes at the local community college. they have to be online due to my travel schedule. i'm going for two reasons:
1 - have to use up my GI Bill before it's gone, i have until the summer of '06, and why not get an extra grand a month?
2 - seems everywhere you go, they want a diploma, they don't care what it's in, but they want one. my current job use to require one before you could take over a mobile video team, and then we were subcontracted out and it's no longer a requirement (so i got promoted 2 weeks later - you'd figure because i trained ALL the other team chiefs and it's been my job for 14+ years).

how does it interfere with my cigars? it doesn't, it helps in many ways.
i've written about 4 essays (in comps I and II) on cigars, and i've done a speech on the origins of names of cuban cigars and brands (their historical meanings, what they were named for, things most people would have never known).
also, where do you think my cigar money is coming from??? GI Bill! that $100 a month i put into it my first year of service is paying off 15 years later!! the beginning of every month, i place an order once my check hits the bank (i don't order how much my check is, are you crazy, i don't have that much storage space, althought it would be so fuggin SWEEEEEET). a box here and there, a few more from splits i've done, samplers i buy from other BOTL.

i don't really consider myself a "college student" though... i'm just going through the motions for the most part, unless it's a history class or html or something like that.... i'm trying to get a stupid piece of paper that says i put up with a bunch o' BS for a few years that will say i'm capable to land a job that any HS grad could do if trained correctly.

·
Funky Monkey
1,067 Posts
Im at CETYS University over here in Mexico. I am studying Electronics and computer science engineer. It drains lots of my time with tests and lab time, but i always take relaxing breaks and smoke the stogies. I am also doing Residence at Honeywell Aerospace and have been earning little money and thats what i use for my stogies.

·
The Mayor
503 Posts
I'm in Pharmacy school, cigars don't fit into my study time. I don't smoke and study, the combo doesn't work for me. I have to stay focused. I'm lucky if I get to smoke 2-3 cigars a month. This summer I plan to make up for lost smoking time :al

J.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I'm working on a 2nd degree... mechanical engineering at Georgia Tech. I don't smoke while I study because I won't fully enjoy it. I'll probably average less than 1.5 cigars per week.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I am sort of in school. I was working on my basics, but now I am taking a year off to hike the Appalachian Trail. Smoking and school go hand in hand. I work on a big project for a few hours, then I go out back to enjoy a nice cigar. I think on thenight before my finals, I ended up smoking a Padron 3000, a Rocky Patel 92 toro, and a Camacho Corojo diploma. They are a great way to calm me down, and put me back in the swing of things. Also, is there really a better way to reward yourself than by smoking a nice cigar?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Up until I left this past semester I went to a Christian college where smoking wasn't allowed. They even went so far as to make you sign a contract saying that while you were a student there you wouldn't smoke anything (or drink or even dance, if you can believe that).

Anyway for a year and a half it put a kink in my cigar smoking routine, but now I'm FREE! Next year I'll be at a school in Chicago smoking to my hearts delight. If anything the sense of liberation from absurd bylaws will enhance my academic performance. Or so I tell myself...

Hey IHT what community college are you taking classes through? I live in Kansas and am currently taking a few courses from Johnson County Community College.

-jf-

·
Enjoying life...
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jacofiero said:
Up until I left this past semester I went to a Christian college where smoking wasn't allowed. They even went so far as to make you sign a contract saying that while you were a student there you wouldn't smoke anything (or drink or even dance, if you can believe that).
-jf-
You're right, I don't believe that. It sounds crazy. What would happen if you walked into class smelling of cigarettes because your roomate or someone else smokes? Makes me want to light up a gar right now.

Jeff

·
HOT for HILLARY!!
3,591 Posts
jacofiero said:

Anyway for a year and a half it put a kink in my cigar smoking routine, but now I'm FREE! Next year I'll be at a school in Chicago smoking to my hearts delight. If anything the sense of liberation from absurd bylaws will enhance my academic performance. Or so I tell myself...

Hey IHT what community college are you taking classes through? I live in Kansas and am currently taking a few courses from Johnson County Community College.

-jf-
Played a Christian college in VA last season....man, we were a shock to them. A bunch of dipping, drinking, meathead heathens

·
Registered
343 Posts
I'm currently going to UCF (U. Central Florida). Major: IST (Information Systems Technology) in the college of Engineering. I've decided to go back to school after attending nearly 20 years ago. Currently a junior, with about another 1.5 years to go....

knuckles

·
Silverback
2,656 Posts
I go to Olivet College getting a degree in business administration with an insurance concentration. My cigar smoking takes place about 3 times a week but its less right now with all the end of the year crap. oh well

·
Registered
143 Posts
i go to the local community college, its actually rated the #1 community college in the nation though. i only go 3 days a week and i still live at time so doesnt really affect my smokin at all

·
Registered
600 Posts
I go to Villanova, mechanical engineering major. Between studying, drinking/partying and being the alumni chair of my fraternity I can usually squeeze in one cigar a week. After this week I will definitely need one...mechanics of solids test tomorrow morning and then on thursday a manufacturing test and a lab write-up due. It never ends...

·
Registered
232 Posts
I just graduated in December (half semester late :confused: ). I just smoked late at night, mainly while hanging out outdoors. College was what turned cigars into a regular thing, nice and relaxing.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
My daughter is a student at my alma mater, Colorado State. Cigars don't fit much into her college plans, other than complaining to me about the smell of them!

:D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.