Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there always better than the movie,

nothing i like better than reading a book while smoking, has anybody read the Darktower series, waiting for next one to come out, should be soon

·
Registered
291 Posts
aeroswat said:
there always better than the movie,

nothing i like better than reading a book while smoking, has anybody read the Darktower series, waiting for next one to come out, should be soon
Yeah, I LOVE the DT series, unfortuantly it took a turn for the worse with Wolves of Calla and Song of Susannah.
After reading those two I almost felt like the lady from Misery and I know a few other people who felt the same way :c I'm hopeing the final book is better than the last two(as opposed to Stephen King just tieing up all the loose ends as quickly as possible so he can finish the books now).

But I digress, I've also been reading a book called The History of the Blues by Francis Davis. It's a very good read, really meatty and comprehensive but very readable and enjoyable. Unlike some of the other books on blues I've read, he looks at it from every perspective not just as music fuled by racial injustice. If you like blues music any, I suggest you pick this book up and give it a read.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I read alot of spiritual books. I.E. Taoist text, Mahayana Budhism. I also read alot of political books.
I just finished Sean hannity's two books, a great book about Ronald Reagan and I just picked up General Tommy Franks' book American Soldier. I actually got to meet him, get the book signed and give him a cigar.

·
Registered
40 Posts
More than any sane person should! yuk yuk

I am currently reading:

1. Lies and the lying liars that tell them. Al Franken
2. The 911 Commission Report
3. The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky
4. An Unfinished Life (JFK) Robert Dallek
5. The Diamond Sutra (translation by Red Pine)
6. The Book Of Morman by Joseph Smith

I think my brain is starting to fry!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Just finished Great Expectations and The Call of the Wild. Very slowly working through Black Beauty with my daughter and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea with my son. I must have a hypnotic voice (or I'm killer boring!) because they usually fall asleep pretty quickly when we attempt to read together. Also reading Winter's Heart, which is book 9 in the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan.

I have a stack of classics I picked up at Barnes and Noble, for $4.99 each or so. Reading lots of great works that I never bothered with while in school. Next up is Treasure Island.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I have read The Idiot (Dostojevskij) and The crying lot of 49 (Pynchon) + some more books. Both was good, I strongly recommend them both, especially The crying lot of 49 which I think is one of the best book ive ever read.

Now Im going to continue reading Gravity´s Rainbow also by Pynchon.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I am an avid reader. I just finished Those Damned Rebels: The American Revolution as Seen Through British Eyes , by Michael Pearson. This was quite the informative read, as I discovered many facts about the Revolution that I was previously unaware. It was interesting to see the British perspective of the Revolution and how they thought victory was always right around the corner.

This summer I also read Band of Brothers and Citizen Soldier, both by Stephen Ambrose. Very personal oral histories of World War II and highly recommended. If you haven't seen the HBO series on Band of Brothers, I would suggest seeing it - what a production and story of friendship, courage, and sacrifice.

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
My tastes tend to be a bit more pedestrian. Am presently reading "The Enemy" by Lee Child.
I like thrillers mostly. The occasional historical epoch. A biography thrown in once in awhile. I read the Bible in spurts.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just went back and read a couple of Robert Ludlam books, The Bourne Identity and The Osterman Weekend. Am finishing the last of the Dan Brown books Davinci Code, etc. Angels and Demons was his best one in my opinion. Ready for the new Harry Potter, yeah yeah I know, someone got me into them and now I HAVE to read them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
viesturs said:
Reading a bio on Che Guevara by Jon Lee Anderson.
I read that one last year with a friend, it is really good. I am looking forward to the new film by Robert Redford of Che's "Motorcycle Diaries".

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I usually read fiction, love King, Clancy, Grisham, rereading Darktower series again, didnt know Song of Susanah was out yet, will be looking for that one, I am also hoping he doesnt just end it just to be ending it,

Ill read most anything i can get my hands on even car manuals when I'm in the car, I try to read at least 2 books a week, lately been reading those Star Wars novels, the ones that contiue the story
Shawn

·
Registered
221 Posts
If you like epic novels and are intrigued by how people's lives inter-relate across great spans of time, then you can't beat the Edward Rutherford novels. These start out at some unbelievable early point (in one, the ice is cracking and startles a group of early humanoids), and proceeds to develop through the lives of 4-6 "families" whose members interact as time ticks to modern day. Throughout, Rutherford offers insight on how regional things happened like the building of Stone Henge, etc.

As you read, you see some families get rich then poor, then rich again. All tied to historically accurate events. Not for light reading, these 1000+ page tomes are one of those books you keep going for a good long time.

I recommend them if you are into that type of literary investment.

PS: Among the best books I read...Jurassic Park and the more factual inspired Math and the Mona Lisa rate up there.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
As far as Rutherford goes, loved Sarum, have yet to finish London. Sorry about the chick flick (book deal) but right now, totally into Lucia St. Clare Robson books, she writes about the "end days" of the native american culture - usually basaed around strong heroines.

Gotta read potter too. Once you read one, you gotta read the series - I HATE that!

·
DymOnamic
966 Posts
Are books on TV? :)

I have a ton of books at home and collect old paperback pulp fiction novels (harder to find nowadays) but I usually go to the library once a week with the kids, so I read alot of books aimed at 5 year olds every night, then during the day lately I've been reading books about the fishing industry (old job of mine in Alaska)

Working on the Edge: Surviving in the World's Most Dangerous Profession : King Crab Fishing on Alaska's High Seas; Spike Walker

The Perfect Storm : A True Story of Men Against the Sea; Sebastian Junger

The Perfect Storm was a very good movie IMHO, but aeroswat you are right, the book is better and that is amazing!

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
ricmac I love the Harry Potter series, I've read all of them several times. I also read Koontz, Grisham, Ambrose, Paolini. And a few others. I love books. I read all the time.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Ganz said:
Anthing by John Sandford and Steven Ambrose. Great book about Cuba: This is Cuba: An Outlaw Culture Survives.
Can't go wrong with Ambrose! What books have you read of his?

·
Registered
132 Posts
the harry potter novels are really good. i think rowling has really done something to write a series of books that will hold both kids' and adults' attention.

the last superepic i read was cryptonomicon by neal stephenson. its about crime, information technology, codes and codebreaking, romance, geeks/nerds and has some action in it to boot. its set in WW2 and in the present day. its a hella good book.

·
Registered
283 Posts
wouldestous said:
the last superepic i read was cryptonomicon by neal stephenson. its about crime, information technology, codes and codebreaking, romance, geeks/nerds and has some action in it to boot. its set in WW2 and in the present day. its a hella good book.
LOL I was just reading the whole thread thinking of the only fiction book I have read in years that was memorable was Cryptonomicon. I went back and read his first, and now I hear he has a third. (First was sophomoric, nothing like Crypto, and I hear the third isn't about computers as much)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.