Cigar Forums banner
81 - 91 of 91 Posts
I agree there is no fun or sense of pride in buying off the shelf. The thing is i dont need that kinda power for anything. I work in IT all day so when i get home i like to spend my time/money on hobbies doing something different than work. Those machines are awesome and i can imagine it was a lot of fun researching, procuring the parts, building, base-lining etc. I could totally see doing something like that if funds were unlimited, but they are not. Mainly i wanted to chime in to let people know about unraid because there really isnt much like it and thought some people might take find it useful.

Thats a Lian Li PC343B chassis. Its a bit complicated but the customization is endless and ROOM! They have different modules for everything you can think of that are easy to install. Its a bit on the pricey side but well worth it. What you dont see in the pics is the other side, just never took any photos. Its like two full size towers in one case. The other side houses a 1500W modular PSU, Two Swiftech MCP650 pumps, large reservoir for both pumps, and 10 1TB HDDs in raid0+1 configuration.

Dual quad core CPUS over clocked to 4Ghz and very stable. Even with the CPU volts jacked it stays nice and cool in the 30C range on the CPU.

Thats a Lian Li PC343B chassis. Its a bit complicated but the customization is endless and ROOM! They have different modules for everything you can think of that are easy to install. Its a bit on the pricey side but well worth it. What you dont see in the pics is the other side, just never took any photos. Its like two full size towers in one case. The other side houses a 1500W modular PSU, Two Swiftech MCP650 pumps, large reservoir for both pumps, and 10 1TB HDDs in raid0+1 configuration.

Dual quad core CPUS over clocked to 4Ghz and very stable. Even with the CPU volts jacked it stays nice and cool in the 30C range on the CPU.
I'm starting to think Rob's whole house is one big man cave...:banana:

I'm starting to think Rob's whole house is one big man cave...:banana:
Nah, just the family room, 1000 sq ft Basement, office space (shown above) thats off the master BR and the 2 car garage. The rest of the house is the wifeys. Well we kinda share the kitchen....

Beast mode. Show us the inards!

I build and sell custom SFF computers as a side hobby/2nd income. I mainly do high-powered mini-ITX builds (go small or go home!). I'm decently well know over on the [H]ardforms, my handle over there is 1_legged_sheep (my techy name). I don't have link privileges yet so you'll have to search for me manually to see pics of my latest builds. I've also written a few tech articles for WoW Insider that have a million hits or so by now. I'm also a computer nerd for a living (lead for a software company).

My specialty is overclocking and cooling, I know my way around Gigabyte, Asus, and MSI BIOS's better then I do my own town. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask. I love talking computers.

I'm rebuilding Sophie, my main desktop machine. She's been giving problems that I've isolated to the Z87 chipset, so I'm replacing the current Asus Z87-Plus motherboard with a Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK (that's the Black Edition version). And just because I got a good combo deal from Newegg, I'm replacing the Haswell i5-4670 processor with a Devil's Canyon i5-4690K. Everything else currently installed will remain, although I may shuffle drives around and possibly install a new SSD for her Linux "personality" -- she already has an SSD as the Windows boot drive. I'm neither a gamer nor (usually) a power user, but -- like a Z28 driver driving to Starbucks -- I like having that much power even if I don't use it very often. Sophie was born Independence Day Weekend 2013, and takes her name from the letters "SOP" of her case, a Thermaltake New Soprano.

Transplant parts should be delivered by UPS Friday (I'm expecting the Brown Truck to bring cigars tomorrow), surgery is tentatively scheduled for sometime this weekend and expected to take two to three hours (including a coffee-and-cigar break). In the meantime I'm relying on her brother Pavel, an HP Pavilion laptop; he's adequate, just not in the same league as sweet Sophie.

81 - 91 of 91 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.