Cigar Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question is directed more towards the long-time habano smokers. Are there any current production cigars that it is still just as good as they were made let's say umm..10-20 years ago? I have been doing a lot of reading and everynow and then I come across a comment about a certain line not being as good as it used to be. This sparked my curiosity and I thought there was no better place to post the question than here. Thanks!

·
Pickin a Winner!
1,193 Posts
I could of course quote you some second hand knowlege that I got from who knows where, but my experience with the Havana, while it goes back 20+ years, is not rich enough to tell you any instances of things now being as good as things then. I can remember liking them more, but I think that was due to the age at which I would get them. I got my stashes from a guy that was very much like those of us today. He bought so many boxes that I was constantly getting his castoffs as he would run out of room. He used to talk about the "ovens"...in New Orleans, they would build these cemetery walls with crypts in them. As time would pass, they would make room for another body by basically shoving the decayed one off the shelf, sort of. He would say, "I scraped the ovens and found this...'" But he only smoked three vitolas....Raf Gonz. Lonsdales, Hoyo Coronas and Monte #1's. That's all I smoked for 12 years. I think he had a buying compulsion (Like I do today). But my boxes would all be about 5-6 years old when I would get them. But still, I think they were better back in the 70's and 80's. I think the fields were better taken care of, less exploitation. Just my $.02

·
Registered
153 Posts
The problem lies with the tobacco that is grown now. It is not the same as 20 years ago, nor is the wrapper. Gone are the days of the lip tingling that was prevelant(?) in the old strains of tobacco. The newer strains, although good in their own way, are not a flavorful or strong as they were then.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Partagas shorts are one that comes to mind. I've been smoking Cubans a little less than than 10 years, but based on the aged smokes I've had, the short is still very close to the old Partagas blend and taste. It was already mentioned above that the tobacco was different, but the blends were changed on most Cubans around 1994.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fredster said:
Partagas shorts are one that comes to mind. I've been smoking Cubans a little less than than 10 years, but based on the aged smokes I've had, the short is still very close to the old Partagas blend and taste. It was already mentioned above that the tobacco was different, but the blends were changed on most Cubans around 1994.
Wow thats a very interesting fact!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts