Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a trick question:D

I am thinking of stocking up on MREs (Meals Ready to Eat) for emergency situations and was wondering if any B/SOTLs have any culinary experiences with these. I have never tasted one and am looking for recommendations (somebody told me they are a little bit better than Chef Boy R Dee). I was going to purchase a few to try and then buy bulk.
Should I stick to chicken? Which ones taste decent?
Thanks...:u

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
After a number of storms over the past couple + years, I have tried many, many MRE's. I have found them to be pretty good. The only ones I did not like were any with some type of marinara/spaghetti sauces and the vegetarian. Being an electrical contractor with the local power company, we were on the scene almost before the storm(s) had completely gone and these were definitely lifesavers and to this day I keep some stocked on my work truck and at home. Better than some TV dinners IMHO.

·
"way to go dumb azz"
4,313 Posts
after eaten those things for years in the field.........all I can say they have improved over the years but still won't eat them unless I'm starving

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I've eaten them for the past ten years (until two months ago!). Honestly, they aren't too bad considering their shelf lives. They certainly aren't something I'd eat at home, but in the field (or an emergency), they are just fine. Unfortunately, if you are a civilian, legally you aren't supposed to have the military MREs, but the commercial ones are pretty good and you can get them at any camping store (like REI).

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
are you on drugs?
Not today :D

But seriously, after using canned foods for years as emergency food, I got tired of rotating my stock on a yearly basis. The shelf life of MREs, depending on temp. control, can last up to 10 years. I am looking to throw some in all of my vehicles and having a 1-2 week supply at home for disasters, supplementing stuff in our everyday pantry. From what I can see, there is a good reason why emergency relief operations and the military use MREs.

·
Misplaced
6,385 Posts
ah, they're ok...gotta watch the caloric intake though....

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Unfortunately, if you are a civilian, legally you aren't supposed to have the military MREs, (like REI).
Somebody better tell all the surplus stores and FEMA. You can buy them at the surplus stores (at least the packaging is the same including the labeling) and FEMA and the Red Cross were handing them out by the case after the storm. I still have two cases.

I was in the military from 1972 - 1993 so I was around when the first MREs came out and I know about the problems they had with them - from bad taste to botulism. The current versions are hundreds of time better. However you have to be aware that these are high protein, high calorie meals designed for people in physical stressful conditions. Some of the meals aren't bad but my dog wouldn't even try the vegetarian ones.

·
Misplaced
6,385 Posts
Somebody better tell all the surplus stores and FEMA. You can buy them at the surplus stores (at least the packaging is the same including the labeling) and FEMA and the Red Cross were handing them out by the case after the storm. I still have two cases.

I was in the military from 1972 - 1993 so I was around when the first MREs came out and I know about the problems they had with them - from bad taste to botulism. The current versions are hundreds of time better. However you have to be aware that these are high protein, high calorie meals designed for people in physical stressful conditions. Some of the meals aren't bad but my dog wouldn't even try the vegetarian ones.
yeah, they sell em at the commissary up here for the brave at heart.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Now, I've never had any of the newer ones that you could heat up, so I can't comment on those. I had a few, back when I was in, and liked the chicken ala king the best. I actually ate quite a few of those in Saudi when I was there. Now, the corned beef hash on the other hand....:pu Of course, the Chicklets was the best part!

Mel

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Chicken and rice are the best now. Gotta have the jalapeno cheese and put the tobasco in there too. All I gotta say is: you're crazy if you WANT to have these things. Also, as someone else mentioned, watch the calorie intake. These are designed to have one last for a day...not three squares.

·
Registered
799 Posts
From what I've had........they are a good meal. I keep a couple in the truck during the winter months here in the south.
I sure hope you don't bring that cargo across the border into Georgia. Until they perfect a biscuits-n-gravy MRE, you won't find them in my truck! I carry Vienna sausages and potted meat... and sardines for when I'm in the mood for seafood. :D

I thought they ate better than that over there in Alabamastan! :chk

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
First a thread on Spaghetti-O's, and now one on MRE's.

You guys DO know this is a forum for FOOD, right?!:ss

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.