Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious if there were any other enophiles on this board. For some reason those that enjoy cigars don't do much wine and those that do wine don't do cigars....so, if there are, I'd sure like to hear from you.

Cheers :al

·
CS Noob Ambassador
1,194 Posts
Navydoc said:
I was just curious if there were any other enophiles on this board. For some reason those that enjoy cigars don't do much wine and those that do wine don't do cigars....so, if there are, I'd sure like to hear from you.

Wine and Scotch freak here lol
so if ya ever lookin for someone to talk either, pm away...unless my pm box is full as it usually is lol

PaulMac

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
PaulMac said:
Wine and Scotch freak here lol
so if ya ever lookin for someone to talk either, pm away...unless my pm box is full as it usually is lol

PaulMac
Likewise for me. I love Scotch. And wine has become a very dear friend. (Now I am by NO STRETCH a connoiseur, I just like certain wines moreso than others....)

Right now, I'm a big fan of Chianti, namely Ruffino Riserva 1997.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Navydoc said:

Yes I also love good wine especially the dry red varieties.

However with cigars I'll lean more toward the sweeter wines and port. They just seem to complement rather than overpower each other.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm glad to see interest. Maybe we can post some reviews of the wines we drink and the cigars that went with them. I have been going through some incredible, micro-produced Australian shiraz lately that just blends beautifully with the ISOMs. Something about the tobacco hints in the wine and the oak flavors in the cigars that marrys well...or I could just be blowing too much smoke into my glass....but it's all good. I'll post a review of my most recent.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Navydoc said:
I'm glad to see interest. Maybe we can post some reviews of the wines we drink and the cigars that went with them. I have been going through some incredible, micro-produced Australian shiraz lately that just blends beautifully with the ISOMs. Something about the tobacco hints in the wine and the oak flavors in the cigars that marrys well...or I could just be blowing too much smoke into my glass....but it's all good. I'll post a review of my most recent.
Great Idea Doc!!!

Salud!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Navydoc said:

Yep, very good combination for cigars. I live in a country that fortunately has fantastic wines, great vines spread through the country. Then you have those friends with the genuine productions straight from the aging barrels, where I sometimes go. These tradional whine producers go on keeping wines from years back, aging them, aaahhhhh the smell, the colour, the taste!! I don´t know how many have tried but during the colder days take a good bottle of red wine and let it rest close to fireplace for a while turning the bottle every now and then, and after a while smell it, swirl and BBBOOOOMMM!! I live not far from a very important wine flag zone called Douro. Here are fantastic wines both red and white, and gentlemen....
the heart of Port, and people... a vintage port with a fine cigar is close to perfection.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
altbier said:
I love wine and make that was well. I havent tried matching wines with cigars yet, still working on spirits and beer. But a imagine a Merlot would be quite good with a good Punch Champion!

You coming up to the herf this weekend doc? If so, I'll bring a bottle of my Pinot Grigio I made two years ago.

Cheers!
George
George,

As evidenced by other threads of mine here, I really enjoy sampling local product made by the hands of the locals themselves. :) I'll need to talk to you to get a bottle of your finest red. I'd love to sample your wares!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Big wine fanatic over here.

At the moment I'm hooked at those powerful italian red primitivos, but then again it's still winter over here.

I've not tried combining wine and cigars yet, but it would be interesting to try pairing a Sauternes with a medium bodied smoke.

My dad collects wine (for drinking later, not as investments), but I have more or less chosen not to be too involved yet.. I can't imagine the damage to my bank account if I ventured down that path as well..

Chigma:
I'm a big fan of both Madeira and Port. Fresh Strawberries, vanilla Icecream and a small glass of Madeira is truly a step closer to heaven ;)

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Navydoc said:
Hi Doc, I think you had a great idea, hope there´s no harm done by posting wine posts together with cigars.
Here is my first one although I have´nt the touch for reviews. Yesterday I had my first Cohiba Siglo V. To be honest the first 10 min were a dissapointment. Tight draw and way to mild fo my taste, apart from my preferances going to much shorter vitolas, I was there to enjoy and experience it. The company I chose was a 10 year old vintage port from up North gifted to me by a friend, those type of bottles that you can´t shuffle around because of the "deposit" it gains. After having a little of this "nature´s gifts" the Siglo started winding up, spicy, better draw, mouthfull smoke, and.... oopsss a little more Port and was on my way!! Port is indeed topping whisky, malt, scotch, etc.

I will be torturing you guys a little more when I tell you about the cool "água ardente" we have here. (Firewater) as you know it.

Have a great one.

Hope it was´nt that bad.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
pinokio said:
Hi Doc, I think you had a great idea, hope there´s no harm done by posting wine posts together with cigars.
Here is my first one although I have´nt the touch for reviews. Yesterday I had my first Cohiba Siglo V. To be honest the first 10 min were a dissapointment. Tight draw and way to mild fo my taste, apart from my preferances going to much shorter vitolas, I was there to enjoy and experience it. The company I chose was a 10 year old vintage port from up North gifted to me by a friend, those type of bottles that you can´t shuffle around because of the "deposit" it gains. After having a little of this "nature´s gifts" the Siglo started winding up, spicy, better draw, mouthfull smoke, and.... oopsss a little more Port and was on my way!! Port is indeed topping whisky, malt, scotch, etc.

I will be torturing you guys a little more when I tell you about the cool "água ardente" we have here. (Firewater) as you know it.

Have a great one.

Hope it was´nt that bad.
Thanks for the tease.....Hopefully we can get more of these and start passing some recommendations along to the brothers. I'm really on the shiraz kick....these ones are not too easy to find so may have to save some for future HERFs

·
Enjoying life...
4,742 Posts
I find Syrah to be tastier than Shiraz from Down Under. Been trying a few from our West Coast that are pretty nice. Syrah/Shiraz seems to be quite popular now.

Can you guys recommend a couple of good Australian Syrahs for under $12?
Anything but Jacob's Creek. :)
Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Jeff said:
I find Syrah to be tastier than Shiraz from Down Under. Been trying a few from our West Coast that are pretty nice. Syrah/Shiraz seems to be quite popular now.

Can you guys recommend a couple of good Australian Syrahs for under $12?
Anything but Jacob's Creek. :)
Thanks,
Jeff
Hey Jeff, As you know Syrah and Shiraz are the same varietal of grape. In some regions they call it Shiraz and in others they call it Syrah. Same in California and in Fance it's always Syrah. Here is a good link that explains much better than I can: http://www.cellarnotes.net/syrah.html

Cheers

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.