Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just wondering if there were any Club Stogie Aggies(WHOOP!!) lurking around the Jungle to talk about football with?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TheSmokingHiker said:
Boomer Sooner :D
Ah yes, our neighbors to the north. Still feeling the burn of our encounter two years ago. Man, every time I see that Peterson run it makes want to invent a time machine to go back and somehow try to get him to sign with A&M. I'm really interested to see how OU will fair out this year, because when it comes down to it despite any in conference rivalries I always go for the Big 12 teams in Bowl Games, minus Tech of course.

·
Registered
727 Posts
falconpunch99 said:
Ah yes, our neighbors to the north. Still feeling the burn of our encounter two years ago. Man, every time I see that Peterson run it makes want to invent a time machine to go back and somehow try to get him to sign with A&M. I'm really interested to see how OU will fair out this year, because when it comes down to it despite any in conference rivalries I always go for the Big 12 teams in Bowl Games, minus Tech of course.
As far as 2 years ago, all is forgotten. I agree with you about bowl games. I am big 12 all the way. Lets not talk about USC...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TheSmokingHiker said:
As far as 2 years ago, all is forgotten. I agree with you about bowl games. I am big 12 all the way. Lets not talk about USC...
On the Big 12 and OU, I think OU will be in a up hill battle for the next few years, maybe not this year but definitely in two or three years to come. The reason I say that is because Brown and Stoops really benefited from the Slocum slue of non-recruiting which allowed Texas and OU to have the top picks from TX. Now with Fran hitting the recruiting job hard (we just picked up our 4th recruit for 06' a few days ago) OU and Texas have their work cut out for them. Bennett is a good example of this. Stoops has lost some of his most important staff which help make the OU of 02' 03' and 04'. And what is with White and his Bowl game gitter!!! Also we must remember that college football is cyclical; USC is helped out from a total domination over the top guys coming out of California. I just hope to God someone beats the HELL out of em'. I'm tired of seeing Big 12 teams beat in Bowl games. The Big 12 South is the hardest most competitive conference in football, and when we get beat that doesn't help our image.

·
Shags homely sheep
5,059 Posts
falconpunch99 said:
......... The Big 12 South is the hardest most competitive conference in football
Oh, really :bx For the last few years I would have to say the SEC was the HMCCIF, but you know now, I might have to say that everyone might have to take a back seat to the ACC. Just my HUMBLE opinion, of course.

falconpunch99 said:
, and when we get beat that doesn't help our image.
I couldn't agree more

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
All I can say about the Big 12 South is this:

Orange Bowl - USC 55, Oklahoma 19 (the score was closer than the game!)

Cotton Bowl - Tennessee 38, Texas A&M 7 (so much for home field advantage!)

Alamo Bowl - Ohio St. 33, Oklahoma St. 7 (Boy, the Buckeyes were powerful - not!)

Holiday Bowl - Texas Tech 45, California 31 (Good win over a team that had no interest in being there...)

Rose Bowl - Texas 38, Michigan 37 (Great game between two over-rated squads!)

Final Big 12 South Bowl Record - 2 wins, 3 losses

Combined score: Opponents 194, Big 12 South 116

And it really helps the Big 12 South that Baylor is in with them - almost a bye (Whoops, sorry Aggies, forgot you LOST to the Bears :D ). Then getting to play the Sisters of the Poor from the Big 12 North to pad the record.

And this is supposed to be the hardest, toughest division in College Football?
GIVE ME A BREAK!

What the Big 12 is the VERY BEST at is promoting themselves. The conference hype machine always promotes itself as the very best football conference in the nation and rarely does it come through. Remember when Colorado (my least favorite school of all time - what an ethical fortress they have in Boulder!) beat Texas in the Big 12 Championship game and made noise that the Buffs should be playing Miami instead of Nebraska. Then Oregon cleans their clock and Miami hands it to Nebraska? Neither CU or NU should have been there! But the hype gets them into the BS, oh sorry, BCS bowls.

Of course, my favorite conference had the best Bowl record. Can anyone name that conference?

:)

BTW - do I sound a bit bitter toward the Big 12? :bx :r

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
galaga said:
What, the MAC (don't you just love how we hi-jacked this thread!)
Nope, wasn't the MAC!

:cool:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Steal the thread.....yeah right

Yes this was a bad year for the Big 12 (esp. Neb. and OU in the Championship), but you guys totally disregarded what I said, NCAA football is cyclical. Teams and conferences have ups and downs. I wouldn't clump the ACC in with the SEC and Big 12 though. The ACC has V Tech., Miami, FS and that's about it (G Tech. and Vir sometimes have good years, and Maryland usually does good in recruiting, but that's all. remember that before this year the ACC didn't have V Tech., Vir, and Miami, and was dominated by FS). Plus I didn't even talk about the SEC in my earlier posts, seeing that all my comments were about the Big 12, but if I stepped on anyone's toes with the last few lines, sorry. Yes, the SEC is a hard conference. Despite how you guys tried to bash the Big 12 remember this:

2004 Conference Records
Big 12 (73-55)
SEC (73-56)
ACC (71-57)

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
falconpunch99 said:
Negative!

A hint - the conference won a BCS bowl....

:confused:

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
falconpunch99 said:
2004 Conference Records
Big 12 (73-55)
SEC (73-56)
ACC (71-57)
Hey, my friend, look at the overwhelming number of home non-conference games the Big 12 plays. Of course, all the BCS conference teams play too many home games in non-conference play. Thus, I would say that overall records prove very little, what matters is what the conferences do in the post-season.

:ms

·
Punch Suckling in Brain
1,116 Posts
I don't think you can really count all the bowls for overall conference strenght anymore. Besides the BCS screwing up the national championship, I think it has taken the luster off of A lot of bowls. No big conference football school is happy with a non bcs bowl. I don't care what they try to make you believe.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Funnymantrip said:
I don't think you can really count all the bowls for overall conference strenght anymore. Besides the BCS screwing up the national championship, I think it has taken the luster off of A lot of bowls. No big conference football school is happy with a non bcs bowl. I don't care what they try to make you believe.
I absolutely agree with you! The BCS is the worst thing that has happened to college football. It was so much better when you woke up on New Year's Day knowing that any number of things could happen that could result in a National Champion. I remember when Notre Dame was ranked like 6th or 7th and beat #1 Texas in the Cotton Bowl and then watching as every team ahead of the Irish lost! What an exciting day (and I'm not even a ND fan!)!

I wish we would get back to those days or that a playoff would be instituted. But I don't see a playoff happening in Division I-A because of that green stuff that the bowls spread around. But I do believe the system must change because so many bowls, even BCS bowls, are absolutely meaningless.

:ms

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.