Cigar Forums banner
22341 - 22360 of 22412 Posts

·
Bloke with a Smoke
1,420 Posts
Called 19 applicants for a general manager position... 5 answered or returned my call...set 5 interviews for today...not one showed up...wtf???

Most likely looking at Millenials. They seem to respond differently than Gen X. But I’m a boomer so what do I know?

Reactions: zcziggy

·
Registered
845 Posts
It doesn’t make it right, but the flip side of this is how frustrating it is for an interviewee to take a half to full day to go in for an interview, and then never hear anything from the company afterwards. It’s a two way street.

·
Super Moderator
3,702 Posts
We always give candidates a timeline on our decision and advise them on whether they are in the running or not
We keep those that we are considering apprised of their status
I think most companies worth working for operate in a similar manner
These days it’s finding candidates you want to consider that’s the issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,702 Posts
The interview process should work both ways
There are many questions you can ask when you are first contacted to interview that will give you insight on whether it’s a company that you want to work with or not and if you want to proceed
How they handle communication and candidacy are important things to ask and consider

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Well, I listened to my favorite cigar podcast a week to late or I would have posted this before all the cigars sold out. Hammer & Sickle cigars were at a deep discount last week, buy 1 box get 2 box's free.

Long story short the maker of Hammer and Sickle cigars and vodka diffused because of the push back they were getting over the war in Ukraine, even though they have no affiliation with Russia and they are a US based company.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Well, I listened to my favorite cigar podcast a week to late or I would have posted this before all the cigars sold out. Hammer & Sickle cigars were at a deep discount last week, buy 1 box get 2 box's free.

Long story short the maker of Hammer and Sickle cigars and vodka diffused because of the push back they were getting over the war in Ukraine, even though they have no affiliation with Russia and they are a US based company.
Bad choices never end up well...always wondered what possessed somebody to name a company hammer and sickle...khmer rouge, himmler boys, shinning path, mao zedong were taken? It doesn't matter if they had no russian affiliation and were based is the USA...that was just plain stupid.

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
It doesn’t make it right, but the flip side of this is how frustrating it is for an interviewee to take a half to full day to go in for an interview, and then never hear anything from the company afterwards. It’s a two way street.
Ghosting happens on both ends. Supposedly applicants have many choices, so they never call back or it’s a game they’re playing. Not so sure on the unemployment side now since it’s so little they can acquire. Another opinion is so many potential employees were ruined with all the government monies and prefer to live on much less. Seems too many of the younger generations do not care about success, new homes, cars, goals, action plans or their future. As Mark said probably on the company side it, isn’t someone a possible good candidate would even want to work for. I’m Glad I retired a couple years ago…

·
Bloke with a Smoke
1,420 Posts
Part of the issue is corporations and business stuck in past management models. Many if not most still expect the employee to adapt to their culture. From what I have seen todays employees are looking for jobs they find satisfying. They need and want flexible work schedules among many other options. With unemployment so low they can be exceptionally picky about which job they choose. Loyalty no longer exists on either side.

·
Super Moderator
17,798 Posts
I know I gripe about this new generation, but in fairness they're kinda screwed. When I was their age my rent was 400 for a nice house in a nice neighborhood, car payment 200 for a decent ride, and you could drink all night for 25 bucks and grab something to eat. Now rent's 1200 , car payment isat least 300 and beer is 3-4 bucks a bottle and they're making the same crap wage that I did 25 years ago.

Come in early(off the clock) , stay late(off the clock), you don't need a personal life. Hell we're payin you a whole fifteen dollars an hour. These kids are forced to live with mom and dad, which is socially acceptable now, so that gives them the option to say "screw that, I quit".

They have employers by the short ones and this generation is smart enough to know it. They have the option of picking their employer and they're not afraid to move on to something better for themselves. Loyalty works both ways. If a company takes care of their employees, physically, mentally and financially, they'll earn loyalty from employees. You work someone into the dirt for crap wages, don't complain when they stop showing up.

As far as "living" off of unemployment, that's not a reality. Most states max out at a couple hundred bucks, some not even that much and it's for a limited time. It's also a percentage of your average quarter. So if you made 300 a week you'll get around 125(maybe) on unemployment. Working construction i get laid off yearly. My state pays max 560 a week. That's less than a third of my wage. It's enough to exist but no where close enough to actually "live".

Sorry about the rant. I know most of yunz guys are on the management side and understandably see it opposite of me. I understand your complaints about these kids.. trust me. I go through apprentices like crazy. I always ask em if they like the work and if they can see themselves doing it for 40 years. If they say "the money's good" , I tell em to find something they like to do or they'll end up old, with a broken down body , hating life and no other options, like the rest of us old guys.

I'm too old to flip the script and do something I enjoy but these kids aren't. Good for them. Take advantage while you can cause it'll flip back to everyone scavenging for any old job soon enough.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I know I gripe about this new generation, but in fairness they're kinda screwed. When I was their age my rent was 400 for a nice house in a nice neighborhood, car payment 200 for a decent ride, and you could drink all night for 25 bucks and grab something to eat. Now rent's 1200 , car payment isat least 300 and beer is 3-4 bucks a bottle and they're making the same crap wage that I did 25 years ago.

Come in early(off the clock) , stay late(off the clock), you don't need a personal life. Hell we're payin you a whole fifteen dollars an hour. These kids are forced to live with mom and dad, which is socially acceptable now, so that gives them the option to say "screw that, I quit".

They have employers by the short ones and this generation is smart enough to know it. They have the option of picking their employer and they're not afraid to move on to something better for themselves. Loyalty works both ways. If a company takes care of their employees, physically, mentally and financially, they'll earn loyalty from employees. You work someone into the dirt for crap wages, don't complain when they stop showing up.

As far as "living" off of unemployment, that's not a reality. Most states max out at a couple hundred bucks, some not even that much and it's for a limited time. It's also a percentage of your average quarter. So if you made 300 a week you'll get around 125(maybe) on unemployment. Working construction i get laid off yearly. My state pays max 560 a week. That's less than a third of my wage. It's enough to exist but no where close enough to actually "live".

Sorry about the rant. I know most of yunz guys are on the management side and understandably see it opposite of me. I understand your complaints about these kids.. trust me. I go through apprentices like crazy. I always ask em if they like the work and if they can see themselves doing it for 40 years. If they say "the money's good" , I tell em to find something they like to do or they'll end up old, with a broken down body , hating life and no other options, like the rest of us old guys.

I'm too old to flip the script and do something I enjoy but these kids aren't. Good for them. Take advantage while you can cause it'll flip back to everyone scavenging for any old job soon enough.

That is true at an entry level job... but I'm hiring for general manager with a pay around 70K plus benefits...which is not bad for the swamps

·
Super Moderator
17,798 Posts
Haven't been around lately. Just got off a couple week hit of 7-12s. Just enough time to nap and go back to work.

Now time to get ready to go to the beach next week. We rented a condo in Myrtle for a month. She's staying the month. I'm heading down first and last week. I have a few side jobs I HAVE to get done in June.

Last year was my first trip to the beach. I loved it. I don't think I've ever been that relaxed. If it wasn't for the third degree sun burn on my legs it would of even been better. I wear jeans and work boots everyday of my life so after my first day there I had swollen, blistered legs. I've learned that sunscreen isn't just for kids and albinos. Lol

And yeah Zig , I wear shoes on the beach.. lol

·
Super Moderator
17,798 Posts
That is true at an entry level job... but I'm hiring for general manager with a pay around 70K plus benefits...which is not bad for the swamps
Yeah that's a big difference. It's not bad for up here either.

It's definitely something you can't do from home in your pajamas.. lol.

I can't believe yunz don't have people around the block for that job. It'll work out, there's still a ton of quality people that'd kill for the chance to succeed at that job. Someone that understands that this job boom ain't gonna last forever.

The whole landscape is changin. I've seen alot of people going with the " less money, more happiness" theory. Even people my age. My buddy just quit the union at 54 freakin years old cause he was miserable hanging board and wanted to find something that he actually enjoyed. Me, I'll just work, be miserable, then one day grab my chest and call it.

Reactions: tryan606

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Haven't been around lately. Just got off a couple week hit of 7-12s. Just enough time to nap and go back to work.

Now time to get ready to go to the beach next week. We rented a condo in Myrtle for a month. She's staying the month. I'm heading down first and last week. I have a few side jobs I HAVE to get done in June.

Last year was my first trip to the beach. I loved it. I don't think I've ever been that relaxed. If it wasn't for the third degree sun burn on my legs it would of even been better. I wear jeans and work boots everyday of my life so after my first day there I had swollen, blistered legs. I've learned that sunscreen isn't just for kids and albinos. Lol

And yeah Zig , I wear shoes on the beach.. lol

shoes on the beach...with black socks i bet.....:LOL:

good for you to take some time and let your hair down...now... free the toes!!!!

22341 - 22360 of 22412 Posts