Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend I was gifted a couple of cigars, Cohiba 35th Anniversery edition. Here's what one looks like (next to the LE). Anyone seen one like this before?

Like I said before, there appears to be a rash of counterfeits making their way in the Baltimore area. Honestly, when I thought of putting this in a string, I couldn't decide if I should put it in the Habanos Lounge or in Jokes.

Anyhow, I couldn't resist dissecting this thing out. Although the quality of tobacco wasn't bad, it wasn't that good eother. Had the distinct pungency of Mexican grown tobacco (much like what you'll find in a Te Amo or Cruz Real). Well, I still have the second cigar which I may light up just so I can cliam the notch for the experience of it. If anything interesting turns up on it, I'll be posting it. Otherwise I wouldn't expect anything much.

MoTheMan

Attachments

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
MO.
You were right the cigar is fake. For Cohibas 30th Ann. they made a ceramic humijar containing 25 Siglo V with special bands. It is a Dalias size cigar 6 3/4X 43 ring guage, they did not make any other cigars for the 30 th Ann. You can see the jar on agedcubans.com website. Click on limited editions on the left side menu. For the 35th ann. they made a humidor containing 35 Lanceros,20 Siglo V,20 pyramids,and 20 Esplendidos. Again this is for 35th not 30th. It goes for about 10,000.00.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
butt seriously- i can't believe the extent of the counterfeit cuban enterprise. what i can't understand is how they keep finding new people to sucker.. i don't see how there can be repeat customers. if you smoked a fake cuban, you'd say it tastes like crap and you wouldn't buy more.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
robmcd said:
butt seriously- i can't believe the extent of the counterfeit cuban enterprise. what i can't understand is how they keep finding new people to sucker.. i don't see how there can be repeat customers. if you smoked a fake cuban, you'd say it tastes like crap and you wouldn't buy more.
Just wait until the embargo is lifted, they will be even more plentiful!!

Poker, I thought the cheese on a Big Mac was already fake?? LMAO!

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Rob
That pictures hilarius, I've got to show that to some of my fellow McD's owners.:D

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I don't know about the rest of you folk, but that fake band looks like a blatant ripoff of the legit 35th Anniversary Cohiba's!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Matt R said:
Just wait until the embargo is lifted, they will be even more plentiful!!
zactly my point... embargo lifted => new blood. so where's the new blood now?

at the mafia shop in youngstown they have an entire wall of fake cubans in their humidor and clearly these are mass produced. i'm thinking, who are the return customers?? you might buy one, but it will taste like crap and you won't buy more. who are the idiots who are going to keep buying crap cigars just because they're supposed to be cuban??? where do they live?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Actually Paul, that is the 30th Anniversary band. The 35th band was fashioned off of it.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
???

OMG Dave. That Ronald McDonald picture had me ROFLMAO.

Got vindicated yesterday when I got a call from one of the local herfs who also picked up one of those "30th Anniversaries" last weekend. He asked me if it was fake as he couldn't find a picture of it in any book. Well, duh!! Actually, I wasn't that rude, but let him know that Cohiba brand never made a cigar that size as far as anyone knows. Well, he vindicated me, and told me I was right to stand my ground when it seemed that everyone around me was just buying all the fakes they could find. I keep saying it, Greed & Stupidity, that's what keeps them coming back.

MoTheMan

·
Registered
283 Posts
Why all the return customers? Lack of experience, IMO also indicative of smoking considered as a 'trendy' activity, not a hobby (or collectible, or obsession, depending on which family member you ask).

How can we put it upon them to know better?! They're not a cigar Smoker, they're an A-fishyanada :rolleyes: Just put a smoke in their hand that's palatable and they're none the wiser. Maybe in time they will actually become interested in what they are shoving in their mouths, but chances are they won't (and I'll save my breath for people who care). It's unfortunate to share the same activity, but this is common in all areas of life, not just cigar smoking. There are newbies for ev-ry-thing.

I'm very biased, I come from the school that starts at the bottom and works up. I've smoked a lot of crappy cigars in my time. And I don't mean a 'Oh yeah I've tried that', I mean boxes and boxes of stuff developing tastes and style in the process. I'm sure I owe some of my Habanos appreciation to Honduran floor sweepings and bundles and bundles of different profiles.

These return customers? I jus' can't relate. It's like going to the movies with a soap opera buff.

Eck/sorry. what was the question?

Yessir, dog eat dog, get 'em while thair hot.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well said hogg.

Yes, I too have had bundles and bundles of so-so and crappy cigars.

I've also had many, many counterfiet (& non-brand) Cubans. Some have been gems, but most have been absolute dog rockets.

I saying, around here, just how many crappy counterfeits people are going to smoke until they say "enough" and move on to better stuff.

BTW, there are also SEVERAL MC Millenium Jars that surfaced around here. I'vesmoked one cigar . . . had flavor, but not nearly the real thing or as good. It's APPEARANCE was good, the cigar band, excellent reproduction, but the first look just appeared too good. And if it's too good to be true, then it probably is.

MoTheMan

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Mo, folks get taken by fakes for a few reasons...

1) they dont know any better
2) thinking it says Havana on it so it has to be real
3) believeing a friend who they "think" is more experienced
4) the idea of showing off to their friends they have 'Havana' cigars is more important than the quality of the cigar itself.

I saw a guy once who was smoking fake Cohibas at a local cigar lounge that no longer exists (The old Big Easy in Westwood). He gifted me one, and I told him I would save it for a special day to be nice.
The one he was smoking smelled like crap and it was obvious he wasnt enjoying it, but the thought of being seen with a cigar with a Cohiba band wrapped on it was more important to him.

One thing you'll notice is that those that fall into catagory 4 will rarely buy cabinet cigars. Why? No bands to show off.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Poker,
I know a guy that fits the #4. He gets all Habanos for the same price from this guy..150.00/box. I told him (nicely) that Esplendidos cost about $400.00 if you buy them in Cuba, and thats the cheapest youll find them. I've also tasted some of his cigars they all taste exactly the same! Not horrible, but not even as good as a premium Dom. Here in Florida there are fakes everywhere. The sad thing is this guy is a millionair and I have given him the real thing to try. I think deep down he knows they are fake, but just wants to show that he's smoking a Cuban in public and the price is cheap.:confused:

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah! Got a friend who fits into category 4.
Makes great money (a lot more than me) and can afford anything he wants. Just seems to buy these, not so good looking or good smoking, cheaper, fake Havanas that sell for $250/box no matter what you're buying.
I just don't get it.

MoTheMan

·
Registered
22 Posts
yeah seems as though i was the culprit of some bullshit so upon investigating this, i had to send back the 4 jars. however i get boxes after boxes and seem to enjoy every one. what do we smoke for the enjoyment or to be ripped off. however every box i get looks real, tastes excellent and is real. lets see go to cuba watch your cigar rolled then u know for fact its real. keep in mind buying off the net is not gaurenteed . sights will tell u authenticity comes from knowing the taste and smell. thats what most of your connesseurs will tell u.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts