Cigar Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a few ISOM (just learning the lingo) Partagas and I am saving the last one for my father in law.

It has been sitting in my humidor (at 65-70%) since May. How long can I leave it in there?

Do smokes ever go bad? rot?

Also I have a small "travel" Humidor from cheaphumidors.com. It holds b/t 65 and 70% well but, is limited in space. With Christmas around the corner I have every intention of putting a bigger humidor on my list for santa - so any and all tips are much appreciated!

Thanks.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
Welcome Jmy77,

You're in the right jungle.

As for your 1st question, I've heard that a good quality Havana can be aged for up to 60 YEARS!! [Yup!, you read that right.]
One of the newest cigar book, The Illustratted Encyclopedia of Post Revolution Havana Cigars, by Min Ron Nee, features many cigar from his personal collection, and in it the author claims that he doesn't even touch a cigar from a box purchase for the first 3-5 years. Yup! A good Havana will age a long time and even change character (maybe even several times) over this time period.

As for a good Humidor? Well, right now the selections are wide and the prices are really good. Just check out the other references on this sight.

Welcome aboard and have a great time.

MoTheMan

·
Registered
756 Posts
Do smokes ever go bad? rot?
as long as they are kept properly my understanding and experience is they only get better!
i have a handful of monte #2's from 1975 and have had one and it was pretty damn good.

also have 1 preembargo partagas corona from 1940something. havent had it yet(obviously), but it looks damn good. saving it for either wedding day or when the flyers win the stanley cup :D :D

welcome to the board!
jimmy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like Stogies are better investments than stocks....

Thanks for the insight, I never in my wildest dreams would have thought you could keep a cigar for 20, 30 or 60 years!!!!

·
Registered
921 Posts
Welcome to the Jungle:
These smokers that are aging cigars have humi-closets and roomidors and hundreds if not thousands of cigars. If you are like myself or Jfizz, the ISOMs do not stay around long. Jfizz smoked that Siglo VI weeks ago and just will not admit it to the gang yet. I have about 125 cigars and a couple of I have had for 6 months. And if you are lucky, you will meet/have a friend who has been aging cigars for a few years and you may be able obtain/try some.
I am not sure how long ago you made your purchase from CheapHumidors.com, but they have really gone down hill. I posted a thread on them due to my problems and there were several other members that mentioned similar complaints.
Good luck,
Bruce6

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The humidor itself is okay.

But it took for ever to get. I actually had to e-mail the guy a few times before he even responded about the status of my order!

I am looking at humidors that hold 75-100 sticks.

I have no self control when it comes to smoking :) :D !

If they are in my humi, well, I just don't have the patience to wait...

With a 100ct. humidor I figure I can section off stogies I want to age and ones I can smoke immediately.

I am posting this at 9:46am edt. and I am already thinking about the pints of Guiness and my Punch that I will enjoy tonight....

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Please don't settle for a 100 count humidor...you will soon find yourself buying stix by the box and a 100 count humi only holds four boxes or so which will not give you the variety that you will crave.

It may seem extreme, but consider getting the largest humidor that you can afford. You won't regret it.

Staebell has the biggest bang for the buck in the humi market whereas Arlin Liss puts out some really great looking stuff. If you want to be totally practical, consider a Tuppidor with Climaxx beads, but at any rate, give yourself room to grow.

·
Registered
76 Posts
:u :u My humidor came from cheaphumidors.com. I bought it about three years ago with nary a problem.

I try to keep about 150 cigars on hand. I have several boxes that are 18 months old. I use a coolerdor for storing the boxes and transfer them to the humidor when they are "ready.":u

1 - 13 of 13 Posts