Cigar Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I've slowly built my little stock of cigars to the point that I could let some smokes sleep for a little. So here goes a few questions:
1-For aging purposes, do you remove the cello? Why or why not?

2-I will be having a variety of smokes aging together in one tupperdor. All of them are in the full-body full flavor profile or close (example: Torano exodus gold, ERDM, CAO Brazilia, Bolibar, PAM's, OpusX) They will age for one year max. Some of the not so strong ones are going to get just a little over 6 months. Will the flavors marry w/o the cello? I have heard that the marrying of flavors is just a theory.

3- Any suggestions on any cigars that are well known for aging good?

4- Any suggestions the more experienced gorillas may have for me in general?

Thanks guys!!!

·
Still Smitty's biotch!
3,335 Posts
Heya Nely,

Keep the cello on. The cigars will bruise or the wrapper will crack near the foot unless you are super careful. Yellow cello is a pretty sight on cigars you have aged. The only possible benefit to going without cello is a possibility of quicker aging. I would only be tempted to do that with a full box that wasn't going to get touched/bumped/shifted.

I don't believe in Marrying much at all. The little bit that could occur would be from oil transfer; this would be stopped by cello.

Some cigars come sans cello, put cigars with cello on between them if you are worried about marrying; no touch= no oil transfer.

Just MHO,
-Matt-

·
Registered
904 Posts
Nely said:
Ok guys I've slowly built my little stock of cigars to the point that I could let some smokes sleep for a little. So here goes a few questions:
1-For aging purposes, do you remove the cello? Why or why not?

2-I will be having a variety of smokes aging together in one tupperdor. All of them are in the full-body full flavor profile or close (example: Torano exodus gold, ERDM, CAO Brazilia, Bolibar, PAM's, OpusX) They will age for one year max. Some of the not so strong ones are going to get just a little over 6 months. Will the flavors marry w/o the cello? I have heard that the marrying of flavors is just a theory.

3- Any suggestions on any cigars that are well known for aging good?

4- Any suggestions the more experienced gorillas may have for me in general?

Thanks guys!!!
Nely you may want to read these threads on the subject they have some very good information:
Removing Cellophane Wrappers?
http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=8060&highlight=aging
Aging Cigars
http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=6484&highlight=aging

Hope they help.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Mike! I have already read through those. However I was hoping some one would touch on the intricacies of it. Like txmatt mentioned that taking the cello off will accelerate aging. I have read here somewhere that the party cabs age better because the gars on the inside actually have less contact with air. Kind of like contradicts taking the cello off theory. I guess I'm being too technical about it. I should stop asking questions and throw my damned cigars in the tupperdor and forget about it. Right? :D

·
Registered
904 Posts
Nely,

Keep it simple

Any cigar will age with the wrapper on, it's might be slower, but not much.
Think of it as the wrapper just being another leaf on the cigar.

Try this, take a cheap cigar with a cello wrapper put it down and put a few drops of water on the wrapper. It'll soak through and into your cigar in a minute. Therefore so will air, oils and moisture.

The best argument I have seen for leaving the wrapper on is that it stabilises the humidity of your cigars. In other words if you open your humidor alot the air will not have as much impact and your cigars will remain at a stable humdity level even though your humi might shoot up or down.

Experimentation is part of the fun so try both and see what you get.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.