Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Size: 5 7/8 x 50/64

Wrapper: Connecticut Broad Leaf
Binder: Chateau de la Fuente Dominican

Filler: Chateau de la Fuente Dominican

Body: Med-Full

Strength: Med-Full

Humidor Time: 4 Months

For some reason I was drawn to smoke this cigar today, I was looking through my humidor wondering what I should have and this one stood out. Mind you that this stick was sitting on the bottom of my humidor with others stacked on top of it, but this one called out to me. The brown wrapper on this square pyramid cigar is toothy, the cigar is squishy and though it has a square shape from the mid body to the foot of the stick, it is not all that square. It does not look to be evenly rolled, when I removed the band, I can see that the band was placed a little tight causing a slight hour glass shape where it was on the cigar.

The wrapper smells like cedar, dirt, and desert grass while the foot smells strongly of maduro cocoa. Upon removing the red band on the foot of the cigar, I see it was covering some cracks in the wrapper. The cap on the cigar is a good size leaving room to cut and not worry about taking to much off, before cutting I moistened the cap and tasted a cocoa sweetness with spice. With the cap removed, my tongue tastes a sweetness and a salty flavor in the tobacco.

I just realized that the one cutter I own and am using, costs less then the cigar I am cutting. Also my lighter costs about a tenth of what I paid for this cigar, sad that the tools which will be around after I finish the cigar costs less total than the stick I am about to burn.

The cigar lights easily, the smoke is abundant and the aroma smells like a cigar shop. The smoke itself is smooth and thick with no spice or acridity I associate with many Arturo Fuente cigars. The first flavor I get is dirt. The draw is a tad tight, but not restricting a great amount of smoking coming through the cigar. A sweetness is hidden in the smoke with the salty touch.

The smoke is dry, the burn is rather straight and the ash is a very light gray holding only about 3/4 of an inch before falling.

As I was into the body I was picking up a nice light cocoa flavor and an acrid taste, which does not surprise me coming from an Arturo Fuente cigar. I cut about an eighth of an inch off more of the cap, it was a bit too tight for my liking, I am pleased I did so as the draw loosened right up as I prefer and I still have another eighth of an inch left of the cap on the cigar.

I was given a sharp flavor like Sumatra coffee. The burn has decided to do as it pleases and has become wavy on one side and starting to canoe on the other. I continued to get a nice coffee flavor, and as I was nearing the halfway point I tasted walnuts. With some rotating the burn self corrected and burning straight.

The acrid flavor is still there and getting in the way of a good maduro ciagr. Continuing on through the second half of the cigar I was given a nice woody flavor, an earthiness that is a good change of pace. The smoke is a tad harsh in the back of my throat, there is no spice to taste, but felt it. The flavor developed a bit of sourness but still creating strong coffee, cocoa, and the acrid touch is backing off slightly.

Into the final third the burn remained straight, the acridness has picked up a whole lot getting in the way of the other flavors this cigar is capable of. With just under two inches left I continue on for the sake of the review, but I am really disappointed so far with this cigar. I never did get another touch of harshness in the smoke expect that one time.

Okay, so after another half inch, I decided to put this cigar to rest, it was still acrid and not getting any better.

My final thoughts. This is certainly an Arturo Fuente cigar, that acrid taste is terrible and I notice it in a lot of their cigars. So far I have only enjoyed the Opus X they make, all the others have been a waste of my money. I can find other maduro cigars that I enjoy and do not have that bothersome flavor. I do not recommend this cigar for two reasons, 1) the acrid flavor gets in the way, and 2) the price for this is not worth the money. In my opinion this cigar is over rated, over priced, over hyped, and does not taste good.

I have one more Shark and one Churchill to smoke, we will see what happens in a year or so, but it will not be any time soon before I want another Anejo.

At Least I still have my cutter and lighter.

For more reviews and my ratings, check out my blog: Smoke Reviews

· Misplaced
6,243 Posts
Re: Anejo - Arturo Fuente (Shark) #77

Size: 5 7/8 x 50/64

Wrapper: Connecticut Broad Leaf
Binder: Chateau de la Fuente Dominican

Filler: Chateau de la Fuente Dominican

Body: Med-Full

Strength: Med-Full

Humidor Time: 4 Months

For some reason I was drawn to smoke this cigar today, I was looking through my humidor wondering what I should have and this one stood out. Mind you that this stick was sitting on the bottom of my humidor with others stacked on top of it, but this one called out to me. The brown wrapper on this square pyramid cigar is toothy, the cigar is squishy and though it has a square shape from the mid body to the foot of the stick, it is not all that square. It does not look to be evenly rolled, when I removed the band, I can see that the band was placed a little tight causing a slight hour glass shape where it was on the cigar.

The wrapper smells like cedar, dirt, and desert grass while the foot smells strongly of maduro cocoa. Upon removing the red band on the foot of the cigar, I see it was covering some cracks in the wrapper. The cap on the cigar is a good size leaving room to cut and not worry about taking to much off, before cutting I moistened the cap and tasted a cocoa sweetness with spice. With the cap removed, my tongue tastes a sweetness and a salty flavor in the tobacco.

I just realized that the one cutter I own and am using, costs less then the cigar I am cutting. Also my lighter costs about a tenth of what I paid for this cigar, sad that the tools which will be around after I finish the cigar costs less total than the stick I am about to burn.

The cigar lights easily, the smoke is abundant and the aroma smells like a cigar shop. The smoke itself is smooth and thick with no spice or acridity I associate with many Arturo Fuente cigars. The first flavor I get is dirt. The draw is a tad tight, but not restricting a great amount of smoking coming through the cigar. A sweetness is hidden in the smoke with the salty touch.

The smoke is dry, the burn is rather straight and the ash is a very light gray holding only about 3/4 of an inch before falling.

As I was into the body I was picking up a nice light cocoa flavor and an acrid taste, which does not surprise me coming from an Arturo Fuente cigar. I cut about an eighth of an inch off more of the cap, it was a bit too tight for my liking, I am pleased I did so as the draw loosened right up as I prefer and I still have another eighth of an inch left of the cap on the cigar.

I was given a sharp flavor like Sumatra coffee. The burn has decided to do as it pleases and has become wavy on one side and starting to canoe on the other. I continued to get a nice coffee flavor, and as I was nearing the halfway point I tasted walnuts. With some rotating the burn self corrected and burning straight.

The acrid flavor is still there and getting in the way of a good maduro ciagr. Continuing on through the second half of the cigar I was given a nice woody flavor, an earthiness that is a good change of pace. The smoke is a tad harsh in the back of my throat, there is no spice to taste, but felt it. The flavor developed a bit of sourness but still creating strong coffee, cocoa, and the acrid touch is backing off slightly.

Into the final third the burn remained straight, the acridness has picked up a whole lot getting in the way of the other flavors this cigar is capable of. With just under two inches left I continue on for the sake of the review, but I am really disappointed so far with this cigar. I never did get another touch of harshness in the smoke expect that one time.

Okay, so after another half inch, I decided to put this cigar to rest, it was still acrid and not getting any better.

My final thoughts. This is certainly an Arturo Fuente cigar, that acrid taste is terrible and I notice it in a lot of their cigars. So far I have only enjoyed the Opus X they make, all the others have been a waste of my money. I can find other maduro cigars that I enjoy and do not have that bothersome flavor. I do not recommend this cigar for two reasons, 1) the acrid flavor gets in the way, and 2) the price for this is not worth the money. In my opinion this cigar is over rated, over priced, over hyped, and does not taste good.

I have one more Shark and one Churchill to smoke, we will see what happens in a year or so, but it will not be any time soon before I want another Anejo.

At Least I still have my cutter and lighter.

For more reviews and my ratings, check out my blog: Smoke Reviews

Sorry for the bad experience. I am one that firmly believes these need much, MUCH age for perfection. I have a few long-term one's I'm gonna set on for possibly a decade to see what happens! :)

· Registered
1,441 Posts

Thank you very much for a very well written review! I'd have given you RG for it, but I gotta spread it around first.
:tu
Gotcha on the RG for the well written and truthful review!

I like em fresh, I like them after a rest.
I like them in a box, I like them with scotch on the rocks.

· Registered
912 Posts

I have not become a huge fuente fan. I like the chateau fuente sungrowns but I have not liked the others I have tried. I have never had an anejo or an opus X so perhaps I judge too hastily.

· Registered
1,441 Posts

I have not become a huge fuente fan. I like the chateau fuente sungrowns but I have not liked the others I have tried. I have never had an anejo or an opus X so perhaps I judge too hastily.
Might I suggest an 858 maduro?

I got those right up there with the Anejos!

I know, I know.... y'all can giggle and call me crazy now!:chk

· Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Thanks for the RG!!

I did find these similar to the 8-5-8, also one I did not care for. As for the Opus X, I liked the first one I tried and I have three more left. One of these days I want to try the Don Carlos and the God of Fire, though I do not care for the brand, I am willing to try other blends, maybe it is the maduro tobacco I don't like of theirs. I had a Chateau Fuente maduro that I enjoyed, but when I tried another, it was the same experience, I am going to go back and try both again, but not anytime soon.

· Registered
593 Posts

Might I suggest an 858 maduro?

I got those right up there with the Anejos!

I know, I know.... y'all can giggle and call me crazy now!:chk
I'll giggle, but I won't call you crazy! :ss

858 maddie is a favorite of mine!

I do want to say, great review...you have one heck of a palate...I can never taste that much stuff in a cigar!

· Registered
2,074 Posts

Great review.
I've had mixed experiences with Anejos, but normally enjoy the 77's the best. I'd probably pick a maduro Hemingway series over any Anejo though, but would still take an Anejo over an 858. Individual tastes are the beauty of individuality.

· Registered
965 Posts

Interesting, the sharks are one of my favorite smokes... do you like the Opus X line? Pretty similar flavor profile.

· Registered
285 Posts

Well written review and sorry you didn't enjoy the smoke. I'm a big fan of the Anejos. More so than the Opus. Maybe your next couple will be better.:ss

· Registered
2,303 Posts

I have to say your comment "This is certainly an Arturo Fuente cigar, that acrid taste is terrible and I notice it in a lot of their cigars" is dead on for me. Wich is ok, leaves more AFs for those who like them. The AF 8-5-8 Maduro is the one exception in the AF line for me, pretty tasty.

· Min Ronnie
143 Posts

good review!

id have to say that these are fairly over-rated myself!

· Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

LordOfWU said:
I do want to say, great review...you have one heck of a palate...I can never taste that much stuff in a cigar!
Thank you so much for the compliment!!

When I first started out smoking cigars I started a journal from my very first cigar, I did not enjoy the first three cigars and I wrote it down. I was about to give up on cigars when I smoked a HDM Excalibur Epicure maduro, I can still remember that experience and all the flavors I tasted. Since then I have based all my reviews on what I experienced with that one cigar.

With maduros do I taste a lot of cocoa and sweetness and with naturals do I taste a lot of coffee and nuttiness? Starting with those flavors I was able to move onto discovering other flavors. When I cook, I season by smell and taste. So keeping that journal helped me develop a palate and recognize flavors.

Interesting, the sharks are one of my favorite smokes... do you like the Opus X line? Pretty similar flavor profile.
I have had one Opus X and enjoyed it, that was a completely different flavor profile than I tasted with this Anejo, to me comparing a maduro with a rosado wrapped cigar is like comparing hot chocolate with coffee.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.