Cigar Forums banner

android rooting...

1K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  gen2mike 
#1 ·
Anyone else running an Android device into rooting and unlocking?

Currently I have a Samsung Galaxy S4, rooted, running Hyperdrive ROM, and a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 rooted and running Hyperdrive as well.

#3 ·
I have tried a few different android roots on an older HTC, but eventually moved back to a win 8 version called HD20 instead as the phone just wasn't powerful enough to take advantage of the new droid flavors.

I've been r00ting just about every electronic device I could get my hands on since the 90's.. My specialty has been video games. I have a r00ted TRS-80, SNES, game cube, Wii, PS1, PS2, PS3, Dreamcast, Xbox, and Xbox 360, 3DS and 3DS XL.

#5 ·
I have tried a few different android roots on an older HTC, but eventually moved back to a win 8 version called HD20 instead as the phone just wasn't powerful enough to take advantage of the new droid flavors.

I've been r00ting just about every electronic device I could get my hands on since the 90's.. My specialty has been video games. I have a r00ted TRS-80, SNES, game cube, Wii, PS1, PS2, PS3, Dreamcast, Xbox, and Xbox 360, 3DS and 3DS XL.
What is different after you root an xbox360

#6 ·
You can play "backup copies" of your favorite games and get a custom UI, amongst many other cool things.

I used to be into rooting/flashing anything with an EEPROM and was pretty into CFWs with my first two android phones. However, I'm using my devices for more mundane purposes now than I used to and when I got a completely bloat-free Nexus 5 I decided to skip doing any mods on it. There are a couple of apps i'd like to use that require root access, but they're not that imporant and i just can't be bothered anymore.

Having said all of this, I might find myself bored on a sunday afternoon and just flash the hell outta the Nexus for no good reason...

#8 ·
How did you get a bloat-free phone?

That was the main reason I got into rooting, because I couldn't stand not being able to delete all the crap the factories put in there.
All of the google Nexus devices run the official AOSP version of android and are thus pretty bare-bones. No bloatware whatsoever.

They are also ridiculously underpriced compared to their competitors. I think the 16gig Nexus 5 is going for 300 bucks in the playstore right now. That's for a 2.3ghz quadcore snapdragon, 3gigs of RAM and a 1080p display. It's essentially an LG G2 minus 0.2" worth of screen real state and a few other minor details.

#12 ·
Depends on the type you can JTAG, NAND, or RGH. You can do some hacks on certain boxes and others on other boxes. Some types you simply burn games to a DL-DVD and others you install a console and or linux like a ps3 or wii. You can even dual boot your box so you can play live on one side without getting banned if you want.

Here is a good guide on various types and what they do. [JTAG/RGH/R-JTAG] Xbox 360 Ultimate Exploit Guide | Se7enSins Gaming Community

#13 ·
I just read an entire thread and didn't understand a damn thing you kids were discussing.
hahah... I r00ted my first phone back in the 80's... Remember the large grey phone Motorola made that you could see in every episode of miami vice??? Well think back about 5 years before that and you had a phone in a suitcase with a huge battery pack that had a cord to the receiver. Although portable it weighed about 10 lbs. Yes that's the one I had r00t on to make free phone calls!!

#14 ·
Haha my dad used to have a "brick" gotta love it those were cutti ng edge at one time! My phone has more processing power than most computers did 5 years ago. I remember my first computer had 1 mb of ram lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.