Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fascinated with this meat, I was dying to try it and when I finally did, it was fantastic. It was served like a steak, with lots of onions and seasoning, the texture is fantastic, a little firmer than beef but with a great flavor, and no it does not taste like chicken!:D It has its own taste. If you haven't had it i say give it a try! Anyone else wanna share their experience?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Nely said:
I'm fascinated with this meat, I was dying to try it and when I finally did, it was fantastic. It was served like a steak, with lots of onions and seasoning, the texture is fantastic, a little firmer than beef but with a great flavor, and no it does not taste like chicken!:D It has its own taste. If you haven't had it i say give it a try! Anyone else wanna share their experience?
Alligator Is fabulous. We have a Cajun place here that fries It, similar to chicken fingers. Alligator Is a very lean and dense meat. I would eat It more often If I could. Great stuff.

·
Pickin a Winner!
1,193 Posts
As you can guess, I've had my share of tail meat, but I always found it a little fishy for my tastes. That's like complaining that it DOESN"T taste like chicken. I guess to me it's a cross between chicken, tuna and beef. I don't mind it fried or smothered in a red sauce with onions and garlic, but I won't pay a premium for it, for sure. I grew up eating it a few times a year at the alligator festival and then 6 months later cleaning out the fridge.

·
Call Me Mistress
576 Posts
I really like alligator in quesadillas, or gumbo, mm yummy yummy!

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I tried gator at a ski resort, of all places, about ten years ago. It was presented on the menu as "Gator Bites" and they were the size of chicken nuggets. I liked it a lot, but never came across is again until three years ago, when a "New Orleans" style eatery popped up at my city's annual festival. They served huge chunks, deep-fried on a stick. They've come back the last three years, and each year I dutifully stand in line and grab my 'gator-on-a-stick and a heapin' bowl of seafood gumbo.

Mmmmmm...mmmmmmmm...thems some good eats, I'll tell ya what! :p

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I had gator a couple times in New Orleans. Tasted pretty good. Sort of a fishy, buttery tasting chicken. I would definately eat it again.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Found it to have a generic "meat, protien" taste. Alot like snake, only less bones.

I gotta start eating where ya'll do.

Scott"ifit'snotmoving(much),I'mgame"M

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Ninja Vanish said:
The best gator meat I had was in New Orleans once...they had it in gumbo. To me, that seems like the most fitting way to serve it...cajun style.
Being from Cajun Country, gator gumbo isnt the best way to have it. It is a tough and chewy meat but its good and best fried.

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
The best gator meat I've had was back in 1982 from a gator my FLA native buddy Phillip and I caught and prepared ourselves...I can say that because the Statute of Limitations on that crime has long since passed.

There is a restaurant on Sanibel Island off the coast of Ft. Myers called (I think) Mr. T's, that serves some awesome cajun style gator tail...I drop in there each time I hit FLA.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I did not care for it when I tried it. it was very gamie tasting.

Odd meats I've tried and liked

Bisteca De Cavella (Thats right kids...horse)
Ostrich (The bird that eats like a steak)
Kangaroo ( no; it does not tast just like chicken)

T

·
Registered
707 Posts
D. Generate said:
Alligators and I have an understanding. I won't eat them if they won't eat me. So far it's been working out.
See my point of view is eat it before it eats me. Workin out good for me too. Fried gator is good and tasty but I had it once with a kind of creole sauce on it with cajun shrimp and crawdads. The frogleg appetizer was good too. I like to try it all gator, froglegs, rattlesnake, ostrich, buffalo, deer, quail, squirrel and the list goes on.

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
SlimDiesel said:
See my point of view is eat it before it eats me. Workin out good for me too. Fried gator is good and tasty but I had it once with a kind of creole sauce on it with cajun shrimp and crawdads. The frogleg appetizer was good too. I like to try it all gator, froglegs, rattlesnake, ostrich, buffalo, deer, quail, squirrel and the list goes on.
Had any of them Rocky Mountain Oysters yet? :pu

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.