Cigar Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been enjoying cigars for about a year and I've come up with a decent palate. About 1-2 months ago Ive been having issues where no matter what cigar I smoke, they all taste bland, like water/cardboard. I can't taste any pepper on any cigars, and I've tried some pepper bombs like Espinosa Murcielago, laranja escuro and some Punch, which I used to love but no pepper at all. They all basically taste like cheap cigars. I can't smell the sweet tobacco aroma anymore. I live in a very hot area where is about 120 degrees during the summer. I buy my cigars online and never had a problem with the quality until recently. But, I wouldn't know if the cigars went bad on transit or somehow I damaged my taste buds. My cigars are being kept in a good 70/70 cigar humidor as soon as they arrive by the mail. Has anyone gone through this issue?

·
Wildman
531 Posts
70% RH is too high, bring it down to 65% and get a baseline there, then adjust around that to your liking.

Try some Havana's and maybe Padron Anniversario's.

For taste and palate - I keep a variety on-hand and pull whatever I'm in the mood for at the time. Guessing 15+ different smokes in the humidor on any given day.

You've probably "outgrown" the class of cigars you mentioned. :)

·
Super Moderator
3,048 Posts
Murcielago and Escuro are both very good cigars
There is nothing wrong with the quality of what you are buying
Drop your humidity to somewhere between 63 and 65
Give your cigars about a month or more to adjust
In the meantime take a little break from smoking
Your pallet will revive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Serious question, have you had Covid?
I lost my tastebuds for two months and needed another 3 months before they were baseline again.
I did have covid back on December. Cigars tasted like ammonia and burnt, and so did coke and coffee, but eventually those got better in about 2 months. Now the only things that taste terrible are cigars while everything else taste good. I dont discard any recent flu that could have damaged my tastebuds, but funny thing is only happening on cigars.

·
Wildman
531 Posts
Serious question, have you had Covid?
I lost my tastebuds for two months and needed another 3 months before they were baseline again.
Very good point.

It will take a full month for the cigars to fully re-baseline to 65%. 63-65% is where I keep my stash.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I tried most of the recommendations and it hasnt worked great. Bought from different places. Humidor at 68% humidity and temp at 70 degrees. I'm suspecting allergies, for I have lots of trees and plants and when it gets windy, my sinuses get terrible. Stuffy nose, sneezing all the time.

·
Pipe Smokin' Piranha
5,366 Posts
Take a break for a week or so and then come back to it. Any problems tasting food or drink?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Take a break for a week or so and then come back to it. Any problems tasting food or drink?
I did take a week break, lighted up a foundation tabernacle and it tasted harsh, like a cigarette. I didnt open all the windows in my house today (thats why allergies could be the issue), had 3 bad smokes earlier including a davidoff, but this espinosa murcielago Im smoking right now hasnt been that bad. Maybe smoking clears up allergies. Maybe I should smoke more. Not bad tastes on food or drinks, a bit muted though.

·
Retired Chaos Designer
12,089 Posts
Allergies can play a big part of this, I go through it twice a year. A saline sinus rinse can help a little bit. Are you taking any kind of allergy meds? Those will Jack my taste beyond belief

Reactions: poppajon75

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Allergies can play a big part of this, I go through it twice a year. A saline sinus rinse can help a little bit. Are you taking any kind of allergy meds? Those will Jack my taste beyond belief
Im not taking any meds right now. Which ones work for you the best?

·
Registered
441 Posts
I agree with 65% or even 62% and get some My Father Le Bijous and then deeply smell the foot, if that doesn't make you almost sneeze then you have sinus issues not cigar ones.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agree with 65% or even 62% and get some My Father Le Bijous and then deeply smell the foot, if that doesn't make you almost sneeze then you have sinus issues not cigar ones.
Smoked several bijous and they just tasted like dirt. I know something is wrong when that happens, for I have loved the bijous and flor de las antillas before.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.