Cigar Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you agree with this or not? No matter the origin (ISOM/Domestic -- premium or bundle) -- how much does age matter? Apparently it plays a rather significant role. Can you name some that aging doesn't matter so much, i.e. is great fresh off the truck?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
bulldawg said:
Do you agree with this or not? No matter the origin (ISOM/Domestic -- premium or bundle) -- how much does age matter? Apparently it plays a rather significant role. Can you name some that aging doesn't matter so much, i.e. is great fresh off the truck?
In my opinion all premium cigars benefit from aging. Keep in mind that not all Cuban cigars are premium cigars by any stretch of the imagination.

I've had some decade-old Opus, more than decade old Padrón 1964 Anniversary cigars, 8 year old VSGs, etc., and they all absolutely benefit from aging to my taste.

However, that's a key part of it: the particular taste that is a sweet spot for you will vary depending on the cigar in question, and your personal preferences

·
Registered
471 Posts
I forget what it was, not a very well known brand that my Dad gave me. It was probally 10-15 years old. Dont know if it was just the cigar or the age but it tasted like somone had pissed on it. I'm a urine tester so yes I know... Anyways after 10 years I dont think they get any better.

·
Registered
21,652 Posts
Aging brings out the taste and oils in the wrapper. You will get a better more settled taste in the Cigar. Aging lets the cigar just get better. All my Habanos are aged atleast 18 months or better and my premium Non Cubans atleast a year.{Opus X and Ashton VSG}

·
Registered
21,652 Posts
Thurm15 said:
Wouldn't the more mild Cigars lose there flavor after a while though? From everything that I've read your more Fuller flavored Cigars Benefit best from Aging.
They loose a little. But more so they settle and even out as the aging process goes on.

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
688sonarmen said:
I forget what it was, not a very well known brand that my Dad gave me. It was probally 10-15 years old. Dont know if it was just the cigar or the age but it tasted like somone had pissed on it. I'm a urine tester so yes I know... Anyways after 10 years I dont think they get any better.
Sooooo. How do you test that urine anyhoo? :r

I agree with Moki. If it's crap to begin with, no amount of aging will help it & if you like a particular cigar at 5 yrs of aging, you may not like it as well at 10 yrs of aging.

·
Enjoying life...
4,742 Posts
During the curing process, some of the leaves get fermented. I think most maduro ones do anyway. So if the tobacalera rushes the job, the cigar will have some harshness to it due to the leftover ammonia and other chemicals.

Aging helps to finish off the fermentation and rid the cigar of any remaining chemicals that contribute to harshness. I don't know how long most premium cigar makers age thier product, but most sticks can always benefit from a year or two of sleep.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
kansashat said:
I agree with Moki. If it's crap to begin with, no amount of aging will help it & if you like a particular cigar at 5 yrs of aging, you may not like it as well at 10 yrs of aging.
Yep... you can't polish a turd... and aging cigars is all about polish. The only caveat to this would be a cigar that's in a "sick" period... those can come around quite nicely.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I smoked a 5 Vegas a couple of weeks ago that was in another humi for quite some time, then given to me and it sat in my humi for maybe a month until I smoked it. It was absolutely terrible; I'm sure I would have enjoyed the contents of my ashtray more so than that cigar.

I don't know whether it was simply the cigar or if it was the aging in the humi(s) that turned that cigar into a nightmare, but I had read sometime ago that some cigars should be smoked sooner rather than later because they can become awful over time.

I've got another one in there and it makes me shudder ever time open my humi and see it&#8230; <whew>

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.