Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
6,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sigh.......... I was really really excited about the premier of this movie as I am a huge fan of era specific movies as well as war movies and epics. Plus the movie included Anthony Hopkins, Angelina Jolie, Val Kilmer and Colin Ferrel. Sounds like a winner, right?

Unfortunately a great cast could not save this movie. The movie was around 3 hours long, which is normally great for me, however even with all the time that they had to work with they could not make the plot cohesive enough to make any sort of logical sense. The movie jumped around from scene to scene and left out crucial details explaining how and why they got there. The movie felt impossibly rushed and at the same time seemed to drag on through trivial scenes that left the viewer wondering just what the hell was the point. Many scenes were long and did not assist the plot or character development at all. It seems that they were just there for show.

I must admit that the cinematography was top notch with all the sets and colors flowing together seamlessly. The camera work was standard hollywood fare with nothing unique or original but still quality.

The actors seemed over the top in their performances with each one trying to outdo the other. Even Hopkins seemed a little off his game.

This movie tried hard to be an epic but in the end the flawed storyline and sub-par acting left the viewer bored and slightly uncomfortable. Not my cup o tea. Not recommended. Let me know what you think and if you liked it, why.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Man that's sucks! I was looking forward to watching this movie. A lot of reviews say the same thing also. Don't understand it, the plot is there already you just have to choose whice scene ya want. Oliver Stone...kind of out there anyway...he spent his own money for production of this film also.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I dont like Oliver Stone-movies that much. The only movie I can think of that I liked was... Talk Radio (?) or smomething like that...

·
Banned
6,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah Glove,
It was really a let down. Visually it was very good but the rest of it just couldn't hold up. Also I don't think that mainstream America is ready for the level of male homosexuality that is included in Alexander.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
My mom sed (actually she never sed this) if you can say anything nice dont say anything at all. At least we got to see Rosario Dawson naked. ;)

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
LasciviousXXX said:
Yeah but we didn't get to see Angelina Jolie and what a let down it was. :p
yeah ill give you that one :confused:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the misfortune of seeing this movie too. Among the things that irked me: Colin Farrell plays an incredibly sensitive, fey, blonde Alexander who supposedly loves but never actually kisses Hephaestion :confused: , who hates but does actually kiss his own mother :pu (laughingly played by Angelina Jolie, who is perhaps 8 years' Colin's senior), and loves/hates his own father but never receives his father's approval (sniff, poor guy). That, of course, is what motivates him to conquer the known world--that and an incredible, laudable, liberal desire to unite all peoples everywhere into one inclusive, politically correct empire. Too bad nothing in the historical sources bears out this notion of events.

Half the men in the movie have one eye--apparently to remind us that the Greeks had not yet invented the helmet visor. All of the men speak in a confusing and desperate accent that is meant to be Irish but somehow ends up sounding like John Geilgud trying to do a Lucky Charms commerical. Why are they speaking in Irish accents when they are all supposed to be Greeks? Because Alexander can't seem to supress his Dublin brogue, so obviously everyone else needs to match! But if you find this distracting, all of the women in the movie compensate for it by sounding like they just stepped off the last train from Transylvania. No matter which country they are supposed to be from (Greece, Turkey, Persia, India), all of the women sound like they are channeling Bela Lugosi.

The battle scenes could have been the picture's one saving grace, but sadly these are filmed in Oliver Stone's patented "If I shoot it in a confusing way, it will show how confusing battle really is" style. That and the fact that most of everything in the movie (from the battle scenes to the [yawn] breathtaking view of Babylon from the balcony) is CGI. Am I the only person who thinks CGI is horribly unrealistic and one step removed from a cartoon? I know I'm supposed to be impressed by what a computer can do, but I was much more impressed with what four guys could do with a bucket of paint and a twenty-foot canvas a couple decades ago.

Now try to imagine this moment of excruciating pain extended into a three-hour fete. I kid you not, this movie is not even worth a rental, much less the price of a ticket. :s

Shax

·
Banned
6,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Shax said:
. All of the men speak in a confusing and desperate accent that is meant to be Irish but somehow ends up sounding like John Geilgud trying to do a Lucky Charms commerical.
:r :r Holy Crap that's funny :D

Shax said:
But if you find this distracting, all of the women in the movie compensate for it by sounding like they just stepped off the last train from Transylvania. No matter which country they are supposed to be from (Greece, Turkey, Persia, India), all of the women sound like they are channeling Bela Lugosi.
I know this is your first post but your are damn hilarious. I'm sending you rep points just for making me laugh :r

·
Registered
50 Posts
I love your review of this movie! I sat through this movie wondering why the women didn't sound like the men - and expected Alexander's mother (Jolie) to any time to claim that she wanted to suck someone's blood. It was laughable.

You are too right: the movie was inconsistant, inaccurate and entirely boring. I should have gone to watch National Treasure. Or Sponge Bob.

:s

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Well I wanted to see this movie, but I'll pass now.

However I did enjoy National Treasure, thought it was a lot of fun.

Again thanks for the heads up

·
Registered
283 Posts
Shax said:
Half the men in the movie have one eye--apparently to remind us that the Greeks had not yet invented the helmet visor.

Shax
LMAO

·
Banned
6,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well.... as evidenced by my first post in this thread I totally did not enjoy this flick.... HOWEVER:

Stone is releasing another (yes another) version of Alexander next Tuesday entitled "Alexander: The Final Cut". As much as I disliked this movie when it was released theatrically, I'm actually going to give this most recent incarnation of the flick a chance based on a couple of facts.

First off, the movie is completely restructured with scenes in different places. Now if you read my original review one of the major criticisms was that the movie felt disjointed and didn't make much sense in some areas. I'm hoping the resturcturing of the scenes will help to give this movie a better feeling and "flow" if you will.

The second main complaint was it felt rushed in certain parts of the movie where the director did not take the time to explain how and why certain people were doing certain things. This added to the movies disjointed feeling and overall boringness. However, in this new release 45 minutes of footage has been added so hopefully with the added footage Stone will be able to bring out some things in his characters that he was not able to originally. I hear he expounds on the Rosario Dawson character more as well which is always a plus.

Also, it has been reported (by one of my favorite movie critics) that many of the added scenes have intensified the level of violence and butchery to an unheard of level. Which, for a violence-hound like myself, is always a good thing. To put it in his words "The battle scenes are insane. The intensity is off the chart. Bladed Warfare has never been so Ginsu"

·
Hi, my name is Eran
971 Posts
Let us know how it turns out. I may give it a second look if I don't have to see Colin Farrell's junk again.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
The regular version is on TV now, saw it the other night. I felt the same way you did about it when I saw it in the theater. Hopefully this new version will make it better.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.