Cigar Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· LOB Underwater Director
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I started smoking I had wanted to try the Tempus. I don't know if it's because it was the first cigar I saw with such a high CA rating or what but it was on my list from the beginning. About 4 months ago CI had these on special for 4 bucks a stick for a 10 pack so I jumped on it. I've smoked 3 so far. The first tasted like licking an old ashtray, just completely harsh and disgusting and kept going out on me. The next 2 have gotten slightly better, but still not a good smoke by any means. Through searching on here I confirmed my suspicions that this size is exclusive to CI but it also appears that others like this size. Did I just get a bad batch or do these things get way better with lots of age on them?

· I was Level 2!!!
900 Posts
I have never had a bad Tempus, in any vitola...the Quadrum especially is very smooth and full and no harshness at all!!! Let em rest 6 months at 65% and you will be very pleasantly surprised..........

· The Karate Squid
10,421 Posts
I've never had a bad one either, I love them. I also ordered a 10-pack, on C-Bid last week. The Tempus has always been one of my favorites. It sounds almost like yours are overly humidified. What is the rH in your humi?

· Out of Retirement
131 Posts
Relatively decent cigar for the price, but the 3 or so I've smoked have all canoed on me, not sure if anyone else had had the same problem. If you like the Tempus maybe consider trying an AB Maxx, I personally like them a little better.

· Registered
508 Posts
I've never had a bad one either, I love them. I also ordered a 10-pack, on C-Bid last week. The Tempus has always been one of my favorites. It sounds almost like yours are overly humidified. What is the rH in your humi?
+1...that was my initial thought. I'm not a huge AB fan. I like the Family Blend ok, but not enough to buy a box. Well...I take that back. I have a fishing guide who loves them, so I might buy him a box.

1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My rh is a steady 65% and I haven't had issues with other cigars from the humidor. Maybe CI just shipped them really wet and they haven't had time to dry out properly yet.

I have had 1 Maxx before Joe and really enjoyed it.

· Registered
322 Posts
Ever since I started smoking I had wanted to try the Tempus. I don't know if it's because it was the first cigar I saw with such a high CA rating or what but it was on my list from the beginning. About 4 months ago CI had these on special for 4 bucks a stick for a 10 pack so I jumped on it. I've smoked 3 so far. The first tasted like licking an old ashtray, just completely harsh and disgusting and kept going out on me. The next 2 have gotten slightly better, but still not a good smoke by any means. Through searching on here I confirmed my suspicions that this size is exclusive to CI but it also appears that others like this size. Did I just get a bad batch or do these things get way better with lots of age on them?
Man, am I glad that someone agrees with me on this. I bought 5 because of the rating and I have had 3 as well. 1 a week after I bought it, the 2nd about 2 weeks after and the 3rd about a month on. These things seemed like hot ash on my tongue and never got better. I will save the last 2 and try them again or gladly send them on to someone here who loves them.

· Registered
57 Posts
Let em rest for about 3 to 6 months. I'm just making a guess these things are being shipped in mass quantities and need a little age. ROTT they taste harsh, but fitting for the cheap prices you can get them. Much improvement with age.

1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do I actually need a spare humidor that isn't humidified to dry box, or could i just throw them in a ziplock bag or something like that for a day or 2 before I smoke them? I don't have the room to dedicate one of my humidors to just dry boxing so I'm hoping there are other options.

· Registered
177 Posts
I had the same results with the two I smoked. Ashy taste, for most of it, and couldn't keep it lit. I agree with the posts below suggesting they may have been too wet....mine were around 70%. I'll switch the other 3 I have out to the 65% humi and see how they are in a few months.

· Registered
5,194 Posts
I think that this is easily one of the most over rated cigars...maybe even (certainly since I have been smoking). I am a big fan of AB and love the Family Blend, SCR, Sun Grown, 1997 and others but the Tempus was a tremendous fail for me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.