Cigar Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well...in all, I was dissappointed. :(

I got a couple of these on a recommendation from the local tobaccanist. He told me that for the price they couldn't be beat. They were about $4-$4.50 a stick. I'll probably screw this up, because I don't know exactly what size to say they were, they were about 5.5 inches long, and 44 gauge approx. They didn't taste badly, but every time you stopped after a puff, it had a acidic taste that built up on your lips. Now, while you were puffing on it, it was a rich flavor, leathery, maybe a little nutty. But, that aftertaste kind of spoiled it for me. Both of them behaved the same way. I let them sit in the humidor for a couple of weeks before I smoked them, it was right at 65%, I just thought I would throw that in, I don't think there was anything wrong with them. I also got two more and gave them to two different people. One had the same reaction (acidic taste afterwards) and the other (who likes medium to strong smokes) just said that it was a so-so cigar. I had hopes for more, as I have seen this cigar listed with what I think is it's previous name, Occidental, with good reviews. Oh, well, perhaps they changed it in some way.

This is my first review, hopefully it was informational.

-Smoke Ring-

·
Yeah, yeah... It's me...
958 Posts
Re: Alec Bradley Havana Sun Grown

I have smoked several of the Occidental Havana Sun Grown and have had exactly the opposite feeling. For the price they can't be beat (less than $2 a stick) if you like sun grown wrappers. While not the best smoke I have ever had it certainly makes my daily rotation... just my two cent worth...

But different folks like different strokes... or something like that...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Yes, I have heard good hings about the Occidental HSG, which is why I was careful to post that this is labeled a Alec Bradley. My understanding is that they both come from the same, or they used to be called Occidental. I'm not sure. I saw a review for an Occidental in the review list, which is what prompted me to get these, thinking they were the same thing. From your description, I am beginning to suspect that they are not the same.

Does anyone know if they are different, and if so, what is the difference between them?

And, of course, you could be right, maybe they just didn't work for me :)

-Smoke Ring-

·
Registered
132 Posts

well, i seem to have seen some copy somewhere that says the alec bradley hsg is the same blend as the occidental hsg. but i have smoked specimens of the same size of both brands and they are not the same. the alec bradley are not a terrible cigar but they dont have the same good flavor as the occidental. alas, its another great smoke that they dont make anymore. lol

·
Registered
103 Posts

I think I have read somewhere that the two cigars in question are not the same cigar, but I could be mistaken. I hope someone can find a definitive answer. I'll keep searching. I also thought they were different because of all the hype on the originality of the wrapper in the Alec Bradley HSG. It kept repeating, "wrapper that has never been seen in America."

I have to say that I did notice the acidity near the end on the robusto. It was the only drawback for me, though. I have about five left from a box I bought a year ago and the aging really brings out the Cuban pedigree. I couldn't smoke this one everyday, but it is definately in the rotation. I am going to pick up a couple boxes when visit the States in Dec..

I got mine for just under $3 a stick and I think you can find them cheaper. The acidity can have that tongue burning effect when young, but if you sit on em (I know a lot of guys don't have room in the humi to sit on $2-$3 sticks) these are a really choice shange of pace, bright flavored cigar. IMO

·
Registered
69 Posts

I've heard that they are the same, and that they just changed the name from Occidental to Alec Bradley, but then again I'm not sure.

However, since I gave a very favorable review of the HSG Churchill a while back (http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=12447) let me say this: These babies need time!

The first time I tried them I had a similar experience as you. The one I was raving about in the review had been napping for somewhere between a year and a year and a half. You should have saved one and forgot about it for a while :w

I actually bought three boxes of the Toro the same week.. and I'm going to try not to touch them until next summer.

·
Registered
739 Posts

Had one of these thrown in as a freebie with a purchase.

I must say, it was an odd experience for me. I thought, "This is a good cigar, but I hate it.". In other words, I could definitely find lots of interesting notes that I think a lot of people would enjoy, but personally I couldn't stand it. It just didn't agree with my palette, and wasn't what I personally was looking for in a cigar.

But I would recommend everyone try at least one.

·
Registered
777 Posts

I smoked a HSG torpedo and I thought it was pretty good, I was actually surprised because I couldn't even find it on top25 and thought that it wasn't going to be that good. All in all a good smoke for the price.

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts

I picked up a box of the Alec Bradley HSG torps a few months back on c-bid & my impression was that they need some serious aging. I have gifted a few & smoked a few, but the rest of the box is sleeping. I was a bit dissappointed as c-bid billed these at auction as being Occidentals from Kelner & sent me the Alec Bradleys.

·
Yeah, yeah... It's me...
958 Posts

Just finished an HSG torpedo with about a year aging on it from one of my humidors. My original thoughts on this cigar remain the same... good everyday smoke at a decent price. It lit easily and burned evenly. Effortless draw with a medium flavor, not overpowering but what I would call a "comfortable" smoke... nice morning cigar. Slight peppery taste towards the middle. The only negative I could say regarding this cigar was that the ash was a little loose but not enought that it was a real problem. For a sun grown wrapper cigar I don't think you can beat the price since you can pick them up for around $2 a stick if you look around.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.