Cigar Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Ask me why I dinged Black
10,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While elsewhere arguing the merits and demerits of the churchwarden I chanced to notice a short filmclip of Einstein in the closing minutes of a Science Channel presentation titled "Light Fantastic." There it is - the man smoked a churchwarden amongst the many pipes he was photograpahed or filmed with. I have never seen this clip, nor have I ever seen him pictured with a churchwarden until now.

The film wasn't exactly crisp but the stem looked like a reed; judging from the color and his grasp of the bowl I'd guess it's briar.

Anyone else ever seen this or any other image of Einstein with a churchwarden?

· Seeking Whitewater
335 Posts
While elsewhere arguing the merits and demerits of the churchwarden I chanced to notice a short filmclip of Einstein in the closing minutes of a Science Channel presentation titled "Light Fantastic." There it is - the man smoked a churchwarden amongst the many pipes he was photograpahed or filmed with. I have never seen this clip, nor have I ever seen him pictured with a churchwarden until now.

The film wasn't exactly crisp but the stem looked like a reed; judging from the color and his grasp of the bowl I'd guess it's briar.

Anyone else ever seen this or any other image of Einstein with a

churchwarden?

Nope - a total suprise - he was probably trying to capture the General Doug image! :pp

I've never seen that, only ever saw the famous picture with just that one pipe. Makes me want to get a churchwarden and try one out now.
If you really want to walk in his pipe smoking shoes - you gotta smoke his tobacco too - it was Revelation! :cool:

· Registered
4,262 Posts
Good deal Moo. I was doing some browsing today and I noticed the pipe manufacturer VAUEN had high grade versions of the LOTR churchwardens.......... around $200. Also I'd like to say that CWs are to LOTR what a calabash is to Sherlock Holmes, for the most part.

· Registered
4,262 Posts
What is funny is that nowhere in the Sherlock Holmes stories is there a reference of a calabash pipe. The image of Sherlock Holmes with a calabash pipe was a product of the movie makers.
I just decided to read the Hobbit again, partially out of curiosity. So far there have been three references to smoking pipes

"Bilbo Baggins was standing at his door after breakfast smoking an enormous long wooden pipe that reached nearly down to his wooley toes" - ok that one's a CW

(Gandalf) "sent a smaller smoke-ring from his short clay-pipe"

(Bilbo) "After some time felt for his pipe. It was not broken and that was something" - I doubt he had an "enormous" CW that "nearly reached his wooley toes" tucked away neatly in his pocket at the time he fell from Dori's shoulders and down the sidepassage leading to Gollum's lair. More likely a short clay pipe like Gandalf's.

· Registered
743 Posts
That's great, Moo! I love it when pipes turn up in the media.

Then there's this guy making us look bad with his.. uh.. must be a 320 EX Savinelli...

:r

· Ask me why I dinged Black
10,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
...Then there's this guy making us look bad with his.. uh.. must be a 320 EX Savinelli...:r
I swear - I'd like just a tiny little taste of that chit. Mrs. Moo would pack him, Fido and the pipe collection right back to Arkansas in a New York minute. And Einstein, too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.