Cigar Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had wonderful experience today... I smoked my first aged Havana Dunhill.

We had a small cigar party at my Dad's house with about 10 friends. BBQ, Single malt scotch, and a nice selection of Havanas and non-Havanas. One of the guests arrived and handed me a cigar from his traveldor. It was a pre-1988 Cuban Dunhill double corona shape.

I have never even held a Cuban Dunhill !!!

I thought he was just showing it to me before he intended to smoke it. I was taken aback when he said it was for me. I told him it was too much, but he insisted. "At least you'll be able to appreciate it." he said with a smile.

The cut was clean, the draw was near perfect, and the aroma was a smooth floral scent. The cigar burned very evenly and was very smooth. Since I was hosting, I just enjoyed the complex flavors of the cigar without really identifying the taste. Not a power smoke, but rather a very elegant and refined cigar.

We didn't have any Louis XIII at this party, but the same person brought a hand labeled bottle of 30 year old single malt scotch and a 1977 port. I appreciated the opportunity to smoke a great cigar and was overwhelmed by my friend's generosity. It was a fine day for enjoying good company, good drinks and fine cigars.

... rjs

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lamar,

You are welcome anytime. However, I won't be the one giving out aged Dunhills ! LOL You'd have to settle for whatever is in my humidor. Let me know if you intend to be in Northern Calif.

... rjs

·
Registered
242 Posts
Congratulations! Sounds like a wonderful evening. One of our illustrious fellow gorillas gave me a Dunhill Flor de Habana from the seventies a while back--a divine smoke that still had lots of power! What a treat, and as in your instance, a testament to real generosity. It's not just the smoke that leaves a sweet taste!!

·
Registered
430 Posts
rjs said:
I had wonderful experience today... One of the guests arrived and handed me a ... pre-1988 Cuban Dunhill double corona shape... but the same person brought a hand labeled bottle of 30 year old single malt scotch and a 1977 port...

... rjs
Who is this friend? send him over here! :w
sounds like you've earned a nice memory to carry for a while!,,

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. It was s special day/evening with some nice friends.

The friend that geve me the Dunhill is a fellow flower grower. He is somewhat of a connoisseur on wine, port, and scotch. He starting collecting wine in the 70's when he was finishing high school. He got into cigars later and smokes maybe 2-3 per week. What he lacks in quantity he makes up for with quality. He's also a bachelor, which makes his spending habits somewhat different from those of us with families. I am a happy beneficiary.

... rjs

·
Registered
417 Posts
A buddy who posts infrequently on this board and much more frequently at CW gave me a 20 year old Dunhill Malecon which I smoked for my anniversary in April-the best cigar I've ever smokked-rated it a 99.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Duffer,

I'm not sure of the name of the vitola I smoked, but I'd have to agree that the aged Dunhill is one fine cigar... especially since I've only smoke one! LOL

... rjs

·
Registered
364 Posts
He also sent me Davidoff #2 that different in profile but equally great. The Dunhill was a bolder smoke while the Davidoff was as complex as a cigar could be.

An auction took place at a herf from another board I belong to. A Davi DP went for $90.00. What a deal!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts