Cigar Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read that some BOTL's purchase cigars when a child is born, as a gift for when a certain milestone is reached: birthday, marriage, college graduation, etc. Not that the kid smokes when he or she turns 3, but you get the idea.

But how about "retroactively"? If one were to select ISOMs from specifically 1985 & 1986, what would be a good choice? Are those safe years to select vintage sticks?

I've already started to set aside boxes with recent codes because, well, I'm not certain why. However, I would hate NOT to obtain vintage sticks and then miss an opportunity to shamelessly create an emotional moment with my sons.

Joe

·
Registered
585 Posts
buying aged cigars is great if the price is justified, and they have been kept well. Provenance is key, a cigar from the mid 80's that wasn't kept well is just old, not aged.

i recently had a few cigars from the 70's that were awesome.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I love Davidoff No. 1's (late 80's). Very special cigar. Also for a special occasion cigar due to cost, I love Cohiba Esplendidos 1994 and earlier. They changed the blend after 94 and the newer ones aren't as good. Expect to pay about 50.00 ea. for the Esplendido, and around 60-70ea. for the Davidoffs. I don't think I've been dissapointed with any cigars I've smoked from the 80's unless it was plugged or something. Some other memorable ones include Monte #2's, Romeo Churchills, Bolivar Coronas Gigantis. All very good and stronger than the current ones. I find it strange that all the D.C.'s today are mild-med bodied at best (except the Monte D.C.'s L.E.), when most of the ones I've smoked before 94 were much fuller bodied smokes.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bruce5,

My son and friends came to stay with me during Charlie. Rob's friend, obviously an aficionado, broke out some Black and Tans. He likes to "relax with a cigar and an Amaretto on the rocks after a hard day's classes". All are students at USF.

Although he clearly possessed refined tastes, I gently declined an offer to share his "sticks", and lit up a mass produced, brutish, Cohiba Robusto paired with 25 y/o Highland Park single malt.

Anybody with some aged Black and Tans for sale? I won't pay over $10 per stick, though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
yes must say myself 85/86 two great yrs, i have a real nice collection in the cabinet price is a litlle high but for the most part very nice sticks indeed. i love the monte 2, saint louis londsdale, and recently i had the pleasure of a quintero 76 churchill all very well kept and aged. depends on where you get them enjoy if you get the chance davidoff are very nice too. no.1 and no.2 are nice i have a monte 2 from 1984, 85 and 86. be a grandpop soon here i will try one let you know/. :z

·
Registered
430 Posts
DaveC said:
buying aged cigars is great if the price is justified, and they have been kept well. Provenance is key, a cigar from the mid 80's that wasn't kept well is just old, not aged.

i recently had a few cigars from the 70's that were awesome.
Dittos,, IMO the question of storage is on top of the list! even at that, when the box is full and intact also makes a difference, cardboard boxes out of question, aluminium tubes are a plus and a minus, glass or ceramic jars are great, and then we come to the main point, the most important part when buying a 20yr old cigar is simply luck! :rolleyes:

and to mention heartpumper's main question as to which cigar and what year, since the choices depend on so many variables such as budget, availability and so on, I think it would be a good idea to first make a general list of those cigars that one might like, then make a short list depending on your priorities. I also think reading up on MRN's book would be a good start since this guy has good taste and is very knowledgeable.

·
Call Me Mistress
576 Posts
I know I'm reviving a dead thread but I was wondering is there such thing as TOO old, let's pretend the cigars have been well preserved and nicely aged without damage... is there an OLD sick period? I searched the board but couldn't find any answers. Does anyone know?

·
Registered
21,652 Posts
I tend to Favor Monte #2s . I would say stay in the middle to mid 80s and you will be all set. You could also buy a box now and just stick in the humi and forget about it for when kids get older. Your kid is only 3,in 20 years could be graduating college or getting married and you will have a nice aged box that you took care of yourself and know its perfect.

·
Call Me Mistress
576 Posts
MY kid is negative 9 months old, so I could have some great smokes when he turns 20. :D

·
Registered
21,652 Posts
Then do it buy some boxes and stick them away. Age them yourself. You wont have to pay a premium either for already aged.And you will know they have been kept in good condition from the day that you got them.

·
Bull Goose Gorilla
796 Posts
But how about "retroactively"? If one were to select ISOMs from specifically 1985 & 1986 said:
I have purchased more then a few "vintage" cigars over the years and I will tell you that there are no "safe" years. Investing in vintage cigars is a crap shoot at best and is not for the weak of heart or light of pocket book. For example 1985 was a great year except for the box of Monte #2's that I bought that tasted like sawdust. Perhaps they were not stored properly at some time or maybe it was just that individual box was not very good, but there is no recourse after the fact. Winerys declare vintage years and I know that if I buy a bottle of, for example, Fonseca 77 that in all propability it will be a great Port. There are no declared vintage years for cigars and just because one fella raves about an 86 Bolivar is not even remotely a guarantee that if you find one it will be of similar quality. I have smoked cigars that are as old as 30 - 35 years that were outstanding and that qualify as all time greats. I have also smoked a lot of musty tasting dog rockets. JMHO.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts