Cigar Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can understand why the humidity is important for storage, but why is temperature important, outside of the extremes freezing and 451 degrees F (which would light them)? :ask:

Thom
San Diego, CA

· New England Cigar Rep
2,031 Posts
Cigar beetles and the changes in humidity, if your temp is too high cigar beetles can hatch. If your temps are too low its harder to maintain the high humidity.

· Nee "Tashaz"
13,721 Posts
Thanks. That makes sense. What are the chances that a cigar has beetle eggs? Are the large enough to see or microscopic?

-Thom
From what I've read, most have beetle eggs. Comes with the territory of tobacco leaves. Many are dead at manufacture and some dormant. Get your sticks too hot & they can hatch. At 65 degrees the odds are minimal. At 70 degrees the chances are 50% higher. At 74 your going to have trouble sooner or later. *S* IMHO of course. I keep my cooler below 72 at all times and havent seen a beetle yet in 4+ years.

· Disinterested
11,124 Posts
You're not just dealing with carbon-based substances. I know where you're coming from ;), but you need to focus your attention on plant-based material. Look into fermentation and environmental equilibrium of flora. Look into the causes of fermentation, tannin exchange as they relate to time, temperature and humidity. Therein lies your answer.

It's not all about bugs and mold ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.